Armor Abilities in Halo 4

anipopy

I dont think armor abilities should not return! I liked the old halo ways lol but if 343 adds them i wont be mad bcus they now what they are doing! An besides frank o connor sAid they wanted to make it original or something like tht! Although in halo 3 the shield drainer bubble shield were pretty cool assets! I didnt like reach before but now im playing it alot more!

• Like 1

Youve got a few things wrong here. First, its spelled "strategy," it sounds like you dont know what your talking about when you consistently spell it incorrectly.

Second, AA's do NOT promote strategic gameplay or decisions. Sitting in armor lock or hiding in a corner with active camo is the exact OPPOSITE of what true strategy is. Go watch MLG pros play the game, there you can learn how what the actual strategies for Halo are.

Third, most gamers hate AA's, not just Halo veterans. Actually, this forum is one of the few places people will defend AA's and almost everyone here has been playing since haloCE (Im new so Ive only met about 5 people so Im generalizing here).

Fourth, AA's are not "hard," they are unfair. People dont hate them because they die to them, but because there is no way to defeat them. Armor lock is the perfect example and the lead offender. How do you beat it? You cant hurt them, you cant really reduce the time in it, and cant stop the user from activating it. It has no weakness and reduces you to doing nothing. All AA's leave you helpless to deal with them with the exception of hologram.

Fifth, Halo3 has just as much strategy as Reach. Real strategy isnt in the AA's but in map and weapon control. Sorry but saying Halo3 is all about seeing and shooting makes you look like a noob and appear stupid. Watch this and try to tell me to me that again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq0CgjmVdH4

Not trying to be mean to you but when people claim that AA's are a good addition because they add strategy it pisses me off. Its like people saying camping is a strategy because it works.

I agree with you that armor lock should not return, although i do argue that you are not invulnerable when using it. When you enter AL two things can happen:1. Your teammates kill all the enemies that are after you, making it safe to come out of it.2. You are surrounded my the enemy team, having no chance of survival.so yes, it does have a weakness, not to mention if you use it in FFA you are totally f***ed.The only reason i want it to go is because im a BTB guy and hate being killed in my ghost by some noob using it.That being said, all the others should stay.Sprint and evade are excellent for speeding up gameplay. In general, AA add more layers of tactics and strategy to MP. With evade and sprint you can flank the enemy or escape a fire zone to regain your shields. Jet pack allows you to take enemies by surprise from above or below, keeping you on your toes.Contrary to your belief that Halo 3 MP involved more strategy it actually has less. When there is an absence of factors which allow you to "run" or control the map, it comes down to who has the best knowledge of, get this, camping. And thats what it boils down to. The absence of increased mobility promotes camping as a easier way to get kills that actually using tactics.

• Like 1

Fifth, Halo3 has just as much strategy as Reach. Real strategy isnt in the AA's but in map and weapon control.

Ok, but that is just like like every other shooter out there. COD, BF, GOW, they all have pretty much that same strategy; get to this weapon and then get to this spot. I just get tired of the same thing over and over again. AA's change that for the better in my opinion because it adds more depth than what you just mentioned with map and weapon control. The fact that you can change your AA is awesome and it leads to changing of gameplay from one moment to the other. You could be fighting someone 5 times in a row who is using cloak and then they switch to sprint. It will change the way you play the game and attack that player, thats why I love it.

When you say strategy or tactics what do you mean? Because I dont see players using their AA's with specific strategies in mind. Instead I see most people using the AA's for the most basic reasons. People develop a favorite ability and stick with it whenever its an option. When you play with people for a few games, youll notice they always choose active camo or jet pack or sprint or evade (my favorite) even if the best choice would be a different one. Then, they dont use their ability with a complex goal in mind.

People dont play like, "I'll use active camo to control this transition area" or "I can use jet pack to get a great angle on the enemy spawn," instead its "I can use armor lock to avoid death," "I can sprint away from danger when my shields pop," "I can camp the flag with active camo," "I can use jet pack to shoot people from above," "I can sprint from spawn to get the sniper." None of those playstyles use any real strategy and are what the abilities where created for on the surface. Also, people rarely change their AA's during a game. If people were using strategy or tactics to win games, then people would constantly be changing their AA's to try and gain an advantage. Instead its very static, and if you kill a jet packer, chances are your going to get alot of kills from him in the air.

This is why I do not want AA's to come back. They dont promote complex play and instead create a very static game. And no, camping is actually not a strategy, its a very poor playstyle.

• Like 1

The only way I would want to keep jet pack is if it acted more like a gravity lift from halo 3. It would only be able to be used a few times, because of a limited amount of fuel, after being picked up somewhere on the map. Sprint doesn't bother me too much and I wish they would keep evade. It's pretty fun rolling all over the map.

When you say strategy or tactics what do you mean? Because I dont see players using their AA's with specific strategies in mind.

Ok, for example my strategy is you never see me on your radar you have to physcially see me to get me. I pretty much always remain crouched so when I am moving I don't show up on radar. With the addition of AA's specifically active camo I can enhance this even futher. I can remain crouched and when I need to move faster (walk at normal speed) I can use active camo to hide my movement and prevent me from being so easily detected. Most players always walk at normal speed or faster and don't really use acitve camo so they show up all the time on radar. I just remain crouched and when I detect enemy movement I activate my camo and follow that specific dot. My playstyle is a moving camper which sound like an oxymoron, but it is to remain hidden on radar taking advantage of unsuspecting players. I realize it may not be the strongest playstyle out there but it is fun and when your packing a shotgun or an energy sword it can be effective. I played this way in Halo 3 also, but it was a little easier to be spotted on radar. With the addition of active camo in Reach it has really opened up my gameplay. When people start catching onto my playstyle and try to find the moving camping cloaker I switch to hologram, but that is a whole different setup and strategy . I play the deception rolls in Reach and love every minute of it. Everybody else can have the mobilitiy AA's like jet pack, sprint, and evade there just flyies in the web.

I don't know if these are actual strategies, but it works for me and I have fun and success with it. Hope this helped and correct me if I am wrong.

A good day to all. :)

i think armor abilities was a cool idea but just how people play with them is insane and annoying. and i have an idea imp should disable hud yeah i know probably a stupid idea. but really get rid of armor abilites. and im getting pissed off by teamkilling every time i get a sniper rifle some noob comes up and kills me for it. man halo 3 is way better than reach.

• Like 1

I don't know if these are actual strategies, but it works for me and I have fun and success with it. Hope this helped and correct me if I am wrong.

YES! That is strategy to me! I would LOVE it if Reach played like that! Unfortunately you are unique, most players dont play in complex styles like that. That is my issue with armor abilities, they could have been wonderful tools to vary the gameplay and make good players unique but that hasnt happened. Instead they really slow down the game and create crappy situations that are not fun to play. IMO, if the AA's had simply been different abilities, more offensively keyed, Reach would have been a success. Because there is only 1 true offensive ability that makes you want to engage others; jetpack! If they were more similar to jetpack Reach would be plain fun.

• Like 1

I feel like if people had just never seen armor lock they would have no problem with the other AA's. I can see people still not liking them in loadouts but at least keep them as pickups. At the very least Forge should include them because it adds so much to the fun of Halo

• Like 1

I feel like if people had just never seen armor lock they would have no problem with the other AA's. I can see people still not liking them in loadouts but at least keep them as pickups. At the very least Forge should include them because it adds so much to the fun of Halo

I love forge world and I have created some really unique maps. 343 has said that they are keeping forge world and improving on it. So hopefully there will be a little something for everybody.

• 4 weeks later...

Please read this the whole way through, I know some of you will think my ideas are stupid and you just want to play Halo 3 but with better graphics.

I think the ability to 'charge' AA's would be pretty sweet. For example: If you were using sprint, you could charge it up and sprint faster (125% or 150%). For active camo you would completely drop off the radar, be able to hear normally and movement would not effect the 'quality' of camoflage. For hologram you would gain quasi control over the hologram, creating a more confusing effect. The hologram could mirror the player's movements (player moves left, hologram right etc.) and take damage unlike the way it flickers in Reach.

This would have to be implemented carefully, such that AA's would not become grossly overpowered. Perhaps inorder to charge them you would need shields with at least 80% strength, and upon charging the AA your shields would drop to 50% (hologram + sprint) or 0% (active camo).

As for the other abilities I'm not sure how charging would effect them. Pleas comment if you have ideas.

Thank you for reading the whole thing.