Horrible animation problems need to be addressed!

Mendicant_Bias

While I did notice it initally in Arena and Warzone, it became a significantly worse problem in Campaign.

I am of course referring to the jarring 30fps enemy and squad mates animations that seem to occur to anything that is 10ft or more away from you.

I just don't understand how games on the XB360, a console with 512mb of ram and 256mb of vram, can have better and more fluid character animations than games on the XB1, a console with 8gb of ram and 1gb of vram. I just don't understand it.

It's 2015. The enemy and squad mate animations in Halo 5 remind of me games on the original XB in 2004. WTF? Even Halo 4, another game by 343, did not have this problem.

I really do hope this issue can be addressed in a future update/patch. Although, I am starting to suspect that this issue is not a hardware issue, but rather a developer competency issue.

Anyone else noticing the frequency and inconsistency of these godawful animations?

Animations are typically designed and compiled to be run at or around 30fps natively in a game.  Most game engines simply upscale the framerate.  In this case, 343 wanted to design 60fps animations even though the engine was NOT designed well enough to provide a stable 60fps under heavy load.

You also have to remember that the hardware is still new and NO software has yet to be created than can successfully tap into or utilize even a fraction of the over all potential power of the console.  As an example, look at Halo 3 compared to Halo Reach/4.  The engine didn't change much, but what did change is enough time to allow better usage of the software when compiling the rendering layers of the engine.

Edited by Twinreaper
  • Like 1

Animations are typically designed and compiled to be run at or around 30fps natively in a game.  Most game engines simply upscale the framerate.  In this case, 343 wanted to design 60fps animations even though the engine was NOT designed well enough to provide a stable 60fps under heavy load.

You also have to remember that the hardware is still new and NO software has yet to be created than can successfully tap into or utilize even a fraction of the over all potential power of the console.  As an example, look at Halo 3 compared to Halo Reach/4.  The engine didn't change much, but what did change is enough time to allow better usage of the software when compiling the rendering layers of the engine.

Thanks for the reply and your contribution to the discussion.

I can fully appreciate what you're saying. I just hope this issue can be fixed in a patch/update.

Seriously, the animations are really distracting me from the enjoying the Campaign. If I wanted choppy animations, I'd go back to playing Goldeneye 007 on N64 or pull out my original Xbox and play the original Fable or something. Regardless of the reasons why Halo 5 has animation issues, I still just can't get over why a platform exclusive game released in 2015 is having issues that no other game on the console has.

• Like 1

While I understand that there's an issue, for some reason I've never had any moments during the campaign where something was jarring to the point that it affected my suspension of disbelief. Perhaps it's because I've been playing on Legendary Solo - Everything is either dead, or I'm being bumrushed by a few hundred crawlers and I'm dead. In situations like that I've never had a focus on enemies in the distance - my mind registers their existence but my eyes don't follow their movements since I'm more focused on killing the enemies that require priority, and those are rendered fine.

Honestly I think what Twin said is correct. If Halo 5 was built for the Xbox One, a console which has only been in the market for two years (Just like Halo 3), imagine what Halo 6 is gonna be like.

While I understand that there's an issue, for some reason I've never had any moments during the campaign where something was jarring to the point that it affected my suspension of disbelief. Perhaps it's because I've been playing on Legendary Solo - Everything is either dead, or I'm being bumrushed by a few hundred crawlers and I'm dead. In situations like that I've never had a focus on enemies in the distance - my mind registers their existence but my eyes don't follow their movements since I'm more focused on killing the enemies that require priority, and those are rendered fine.

Honestly I think what Twin said is correct. If Halo 5 was built for the Xbox One, a console which has only been in the market for two years (Just like Halo 3), imagine what Halo 6 is gonna be like.

I can appreciate that the low fps animations aren't a priority issue for some. I do know that I'm not alone, as can be evidenced here.

As for the other comment, I couldn't care any less about what Halo 6 may look like, I'm concerned with what Halo 5 actually looks and plays like. Again, I can appreciate that this isn't a priority issue for everyone, but there won't be any chance for it to be addressed and/or fixed if everyone blows it off by making excuses instead of demanding accountability from the developer.

I don't think it's too much to ask for a game that has been developed exclusively for a next-gen console to not have N64-era low fps character animations with the frequency that they exist in Halo 5.