Griffball Tips&Tricks

Warlord0520

Some people may be getting frustrated by how they may be getting killed quite frequently in grifball, but that's ok because here are a few tips and tricks i have that you maybe don't know about:

Tips(About Gravity Hammer) When using the gravity hammer, if you jump right after you hit your gravity hammer you can gain leverage on your opponent on the ground since whoever is closer to the swing gets hit harder. Its mainly effective if the enemy is running toward you and is not airborne. If you are playing grifball dash, choose sentry, and right before you hit your gravity hammer, click dash and then swing, this creates more "down force" which results in maximum damage depending on how close you are to your opponent. Remember, try not to rush the enemy every time, as they will recognize the pattern of when you go to attack and they will most likely win if they recognize this. Try to step back a few times to make your opponent swing and miss so that you can get the opportunity to swing away with an easy kill. Once you master these steps, grifball will become easier.

Tips(About Energy Sword) The energy sword is not that effective unless you are going for the enemy bomb carrier. Also, if you are facing a team that you cannot defeat them using the gravity hammer due to "lag" or "skill" etc, i suggest using the energy sword. First, the energy sword is affective if you make the enemy attack first and miss which will allow you to lunge straight at them getting an easy kill. That tactic however is very well known so most of the time people don't fall for it anymore. Another tactic that i see rarely is if a bomb carrier is rushing you, try to trick him a little bit by swapping to your sword then back to hammer then back to sword, depending on where he is because bomb carriers wont rush someone with a sword out 95% of the time. When he thinks you are swapping to grav hammer, quickly swap back to your sword, move left/right then lunge at him.

Tips(Bomb Carrier) Alot of people will go after the bomb carrier, even their own team which in some cases is a problem. But you can use your team trying to kill you as an advantage believe it or not. I will explain, first if they have a gravity hammer and they are profusely trying to get the bomb from you, simply run and jump when they swing it will launch you to the other side of the court. I also suggest you DO NOT attempt to does this at your own base because if the enemy gets hold of the bomb its a free goal. Make sure your team ALWAYS progresses to mid court and pass that, i cannot stress enough how overbearing it is to try to get out of being spawn killed and contained once the enemy has your spawn point pinned. If you happen to get the bomb, make sure you stick with a "protector" or someone who will protect you from an enemy sword user. I normally have one person that i stay right behind and if i get close enough to the enemy goal ill have my partner launch me over to their base while he is slashing away at the enemies.

Overall Understanding of how grifball operates:

1. grifball is a 4v4 game which requires team effort, but if your teamates are trying to betray one another, dont worry, go after the objective which is to head toward the middle (where the bomb is located)

2. Once you are heading toward the bomb, make sure your teamates are out of your way, if they are not, let them swing at the enemy team first then you swing your gravity hammer next to clear out the middle area.( If it is too crowded, head to the outside "left" or "right" and come in from behind the enemy team) The reason why i say this is because i see way too many teams that slash through their own teammates at mid accidentally and help the enemy get the bomb.

3. Holding the bomb, in most cases holding the bomb for a while is a BAD idea. Mainly because people hold it at their own base which is a big NO NO. Make sure you stick with your team, holding the bomb at either middle court, or the left/right of the enemy spawn. You dont want to get caught losing the bomb at your own base.

4. Running the bomb, Make sure your team is progressed ATLEAST through middle court before making an attempt to push toward the enemy base. I suggest you have a friend protect you while the others slash away at the enemy team making a "route" for you to score.

5. Containing the enemy team, Try to push your team forward so that the enemy team will not progress to mid. This puts stress on the enemy bomb carrier, especially if he has no where to go.

6. Using the gravity hammer for multiple reasons such as launching yourself. Simply aim down at the ground and face your spawn point, jump backwards and swing immediately to launch yourself. I use this tactic because most people will see a red dot on their map, but wont take the time to look in the air to see if someone is there.

7. Intimidate the enemy bomb carrier, if you see the bomb carrier is progressing past mid, take out your sword, often times he will back away.

8. Use the bomb to your advantage, you have an over-shield, run faster, and kill quicker as the bomb carrier. Make sure you kill some enemy opponents a little here and there to contribute to your team. I see alot of bomb carriers who just sit back and watch a 3v4 and wonder why their team is getting pushed back to their own spawn. Mainly because the bomb carrier isent contributing.

I will try to add a little bit more, but these are most of the basic rules of how to work together as a team in grifball.

(how to cope with mean teammates) If your team is trying to kill you, make sure when you spawn, slam your gravity hammer then use step #6 to launch yourself to the enemy areas spawn point so they will be more worried about chasing you around the map than spawn killing. if it is a 1v4 and you are struggling to clear out the area, I suggest you stand aside and let them score the bomb so the game ends faster and so that you don't get frustrated. No team is going to want to spawn kill someone who is difficult to chase! :)

(how to use gravity hammer as a defensive tool) when the bomb carrier is rushing you, (In his mind he will attempt to attack you with his fist) you pull out the gravity hammer, swing and jump at the same time which will push you and him away giving you space. I suggest swinging the hammer at least a good 4 steps away from the bomb carrier. This will most likely not kill the bomb carrier, but he would be hurt really bad. At the same time, at least you are not killed by him :) This tactic is mainly for defense.

(why choosing correct abilities are important) during grifball dash I notice that the "warrior" ability is used by people who like to grab the bomb a lot which is a big mistake. One must take into account that the warrior ability is a "get to one place quick" ability. It's 100% for offense. On the other hand, Sentry is good for bomb carrying due to the fact you can use the ability while carrying the bomb. It's a 50% offense and 50% defense type of ability. But, this doesent mean that warrior is useless. I use warrior whenever the round begins to get me to middle and clear out the area, once I die, I will swap to sentry till the next round and repeat. Try this out sometime as it gets you used to both abilities.

(passing the bomb) most people dont drop the bomb unless they are killed, but that's ok because not everyone trusts their teammate to pick up the bomb once they drop it. I normally rush to middle and when I clear the area I tend to grab the bomb if my team isent there, but if I see a teammate of mine running toward me, I'll simply drop the bomb and rush at the enemy which confuses them a little. If I succeed at killing them I create a "hole" or an open route for the bomb carrier to progress through. I don't suggest you use this tactic unless you have a team with mics :)

( Getting the bomb to enemy base airborne style) I think you guys all had that game where you are at the enemy's spawn point with the bomb but get a sworded by three people. What this tactic does is it confuses players who don't rely on the map to determine where the enemy is. When you get the bomb to their spawn, run to the far left corner or the far right corner once your team is attacking the enemy at their spawn. Once you have gotten to the corner, crouch down so that you cannot be seen on the radar. Drop the bomb, look down, swing your gravity hammer and at the same time, hold x to grab the bomb while u are flying in the air you will land at the goal and score!! And yes, this tactic is risky, I suggest using it when you are down by a few points or just playing a team that camps their own spawn.

(Making the enemy kill their own team) Yeah you all have seen that bomb carrier move left and right all the time, but you wonder why they do it??? I'll tell you! As you already know, the bomb carrier is obviously a target, well, when people are moving left(his right) they will swing at him even from afar regardless. Some people do this not knowing its a tactic, but i can tell you from experience that is a really good tactic. People make mistakes. That being said, this tactic basically rounds the enemy team up, and has them killing one another maybe only once or twice till they figure out your only just fooling with them. It also gives your team a chance to sweep in behind them and go for the kill. Do not try this tactic close to your spawn, I suggest using it at mid court and at the enemies goal.

• Like 6

These are some pretty good tips! You really have to think strategically, yet be on your toes to win a game of Grifball.

Since you seem to know the game pretty well, what would you do if you join in progress only to find your team being spawn-killed like there's no tomorrow?

These are some pretty good tips! You really have to think strategically, yet be on your toes to win a game of Grifball.

Since you seem to know the game pretty well, what would you do if you join in progress only to find your team being spawn-killed like there's no tomorrow?

I've had this happen a lot unfortunately, but I must say, I have won few games when my team was spawn killing me including the enemy team. First, when you spawn smash your gravity hammer and clear the area in front of you(kill the person who is attacking you). Once you do this, launch yourself to their spawn point and run around so that they are now chasing you at their spawn. So when you die you at least get a chance to roam around while they are trying to get to your spawn point. Try jumping in the air while using the gravity hammer for leverage especially when they are team killing, it seems to affect a wider range also. I hope this helped, let me know if you need anything else! :)

Edited my origional post with a few more tricks!! It's a big wall of post but has a lot of info :)

Awesome tips and tricks! I've never really been a fan of Grifball because I always get killed. When me and my brother play he always uses the Gravity Hammer to boost his height, pretty smart. Nice post btw :).

Grifball + CoD = Major rage :P          

mb65w4.jpg                                                                                                                                                          

Edited by тυcкєя
  • Like 1