The Future of Technology

Flippant Sol

The important advancement we need to make in technology is the next step in widescreen aspect ratios. I've gotten bored of 16:9, and 4:3 is over-saturated with content, so what we need is a hybrid between the two. 4:3 = 16: 12 against 16:9 is an average of 16:10.5 or 32:21. This was already used in a simplified fashion with DVD players, with resolutions like 720 x 480, so why not in HD 1080 x 720? Speaking of aspect ratios, if it goes down by 1.5 per AR, would the next resolution be 32:15? Or would it be the infamous 256:81? A 4K 32:15 would be 3840 x 1800, while a 256:81 resolution would be 3840 x 1215. Displaying by an odd number is a bit difficult, but it is possible with internal letterbox. This entire topic is strange and interesting to me for some reason, but do YOU think that 32:21, 32:15 or 256:81 will be native resolutions in the near future?

• Like 1

I'd love a Ultra High-definition TV or even computer monitor, but there is currently not enough content to even justify owning one. Japan already has 8K resolution and are working on even higher res models far beyond that, but most tv channels, movies, and games are still only 1080p. Some are still 720p or below.

Until shows are filmed, produced, broadcast, and aired in 4K or more, then I'd rather pass.

But I still really want one! Lol :)

Resolution =/= Aspect ratio.

I think it's not gonna change any time soon. The only major change will be when entertainment is embraced by VR, because then we won't be caring about aspect ratio.

I'm not necessarily pertaining this to gaming. I am talking about video in general. Unless the VR headsets are more comfortable than a Turtle Beach... yeah. TV's aren't going anywhere. I talk of aspect ratio because a wider aspect ratio = higher fov, which DOES pertain to gaming.

I think that the 16:9 aspect ratio is probably here to stay. Over the past 10 years or so, it's slowly been replacing almost all other screen and application sizes because it's generally very convenient for us to view (most societies read horizontally rather than vertically, for example, and people generally prefer to look to the sides rather than up or down). Anything wider and it becomes uncomfortable as we have to move our eyes around to take in the whole picture at once, and anything narrower makes us uncomfortable because we feel like it's cutting off our peripheral vision.

FOV doesn't really have all that much to do with aspect ratio. If you're on PC, changing your FOV is usually as simple as just opening a command line and typing in something like 'setfov [value]', and it will usually update as soon as you hit Enter or close the command line. Your monitor size and the size of the application don't change, but your FOV can.

In any case, if we're going to talk pixel size then I don't really see any major updates in the next five to ten years. 1080p is still actually less common than 720p for most people, and it's only once 1080p becomes the absolute baseline standard that we're going to see any sort of major push toward even higher pixel counts among the general populace: I'd guess that's going to happen within about five years. After that, I'd say 4k resolutions are going to become the next standard to aim for, but it would probably be at least another seven or eight years before that actually did become the norm.