Innovative Gameplay Mechanics

Solumn Trade

The fact that I decided to read everything, makes me wonder about the meaning of life...

Though I have to admit, I have never seen such in-depth ideas from a player. Bravo!

I really hope someone from 343i sees this, and even if they don't do anything immediately, they could still take something from this.

Also, I think the smart scope and sprint are good additions, but I won't get into it.

Again, very good job. ^_^

• Like 1

you had some decent points in it but rather then try something new that might blow up in their faces all 343 needs to do is to go back to the way Halo used to be mainly H1 and H2 they do that and dial up the story a bit more and it could reclaim is past glory

.... of course thats only in my personal opinion after all

you had some decent points in it but rather then try something new that might blow up in their faces all 343 needs to do is to go back to the way Halo used to be mainly H1 and H2 they do that and dial up the story a bit more and it could reclaim is past glory

.... of course thats only in my personal opinion after all

That's fine. I'd like them to stay as close to the originals as possible too. But for some reason everyone thinks that even though the old formula isn't broken, it needs fixing. However, I would like the ability to drop and toss weapons to teammates, if only one thing was to be added from my entire list. It would help tone down the betrayals, and perhaps even give players who aren't as good meaningful purpose in trying to collect weapons for the better members of their team to drop for them. Personally, I'd rather just drop the Sniper Rifle than fight for it. And if the guy using it isn't doing so well, he has no excuse to not give it to someone else, since he won't have to go looking for a weapon to swap it with.

Basically, I would just fix problems that actually exist in the old formula rather than create a whole new formula with its own problems.

The fact that I decided to read everything, makes me wonder about the meaning of life...

Though I have to admit, I have never seen such in-depth ideas from a player. Bravo!

I really hope someone from 343i sees this, and even if they don't do anything immediately, they could still take something from this.

Also, I think the smart scope and sprint are good additions, but I won't get into it.

Again, very good job. ^_^

Thank you. I made this post so that people stop accusing old time players of not wanting change. I am fine with change, but it has to be the right kind of change.

• 2 weeks later...

My beta impressions: I dont like 4 vs 4. Its limiting and lacking all the epic, team-based gameplay of the Big Team battles. Slayer is nothing new and the breakout gametype is boring. All the best MP games these days excel the most at unique objective-based game play and that is lacking here. 

The powers arent anything new either and have already been around since the early days of Crysis and most recently in COD: AW. Also the character buidling and perks (other than new armor) that really build addictive gameplay seem to be lacking (I realize its a beta). I really hope that with the graphics boosts the game is planned to get (it does look really good) that 343 isnt sacrificing the big team battle aspects that makes these games so fun to play in a team work based PTFO style environment! - My 2 cents! Thanks for listening 343! 

My beta impressions: I dont like 4 vs 4. Its limiting and lacking all the epic, team-based gameplay of the Big Team battles. Slayer is nothing new and the breakout gametype is boring. All the best MP games these days excel the most at unique objective-based game play and that is lacking here. 

The powers arent anything new either and have already been around since the early days of Crysis and most recently in COD: AW. Also the character buidling and perks (other than new armor) that really build addictive gameplay seem to be lacking (I realize its a beta). I really hope that with the graphics boosts the game is planned to get (it does look really good) that 343 isnt sacrificing the big team battle aspects that makes these games so fun to play in a team work based PTFO style environment! - My 2 cents! Thanks for listening 343! 

So...what do you actually think about the topic at hand? To sum it up, I proposed that Sprint be removed and replaced with a 'Finesse' mechanic that allows you to run and shoot at the same time, as well as perform rolls, forward flips, side flips, and backflips. If you perform a roll or flip, your state is reset to default and you have to press the 'Finesse' button again in order to get back up to speed. You cannot zoom while in 'Finesse' mode, and melee would be harder to control (i.e. flying kicks that might miss). If you are shot it also resets your movement to default, like de-scoping.

I also talked about how duel-wielding could easily be an armor ability (with improvements), how to buff/nerf certain items/weapons/abilities that already have existed in Halo, and weapon drop/toss system that allows you to easily share equipment with teammates, or keep important stuff out of enemy hands. See the paragraphs for more details.

Changelog 8:

-Added more features to 'Finesse'

a. Contextual moves. While not all these moves are available depending on what weapons you are carrying, they are as follows:

1. Clamber. While I am not ok with how 343 is implementing it in Halo 5 vs. jumping higher/crouch jumping, I can morph it into something more acceptable. By allowing clamber ONLY while under the influence of 'Finesse', this mean that if someone is shot and 'De-Finessed' (like de-scoped), they cannot perform this move until they enter 'Finesse' mode again. In fact, if a Spartan is shot from the front or head shot in the back (without needing to kill them), they will actually fall before they can complete their clamber. I know it doesn't seem like clamber needs a nerf, but remember Spartans have shields. I think it would make the suppression mechanic even better. To clamber over a low surface without jumping (which may not be advisable in most circumstances other than stealth), crouch and then press the jump button.

2. Forward Flip. This existed before, but I'm restating it for this list. If you are moving forward while under the influence of 'Finesse', and jump, you will do a forward flip that will let you get to higher places than normal. You cannot fire at all until you are upright. Note that while performing this move you cannot shoot.

3. Kart wheel. If you are strafing while under the influence of 'Finesse', you may either no-hand or one-hand cartwheel, depending on the weapons you are carrying. Only small weapons, and certain power weapons (like the shotgun), can be fired while in a kart wheel. Other weapons, such as accuracy weapons like the BR, and medium weapons like the AR, cannot. The only heavy power weapons that can fire while in a kart wheel are the Spartan laser (if it was charging first and fires mid-kart wheel), the Rail gun (same as Spartan laser), the Grenade launcher, and the Sticky detonator (which is small anyway). However, if you kart wheel sideways off a ledge, and end up upright in the air, you may fire midair. Note it is slower than Forward flip because you are strafing.

4. Back Flip. Not as high or as fast as the other flips, but you can fire while in it, only with a brief period mid-animation where you can't.

5. Slide. If you are running forward at speed you can slide to a crouch and shoot. Remember you disable 'Finesse' when you do this, like the other moves. 343 had this, but I want it nerfed the same way clamber is.

6. Roll (something that existed earlier, just a reminder). If you are moving but not at full speed (which cannot be attained unless moving directly forward) and crouch, you roll in the direction you are moving.

-Added new contextual melee moves.

1. If, during any flip you press the melee button, it will perform a disarm move after the flip, and will force any player to which the hit connects to drop their weapon(s if dueled), but will have reduced damage on the shields. It cannot kill by itself, but it does also a very brief stun. If the enemy player/AI is in critical condition (one-shot), it will knock that player to the ground briefly. Think 'The Matrix' movie series. However, it should be noted that Spartans are able to do that in canon.

343 will never see this or implement it. If you truly have a lot of fun doing this, keep at it I suppose. But if you want any of this stuff actually implemented in a game, I suggest you take up programming instead of posting ideas here. Doing it this way will never get anywhere.

Halo would be gone by the time I would finish any programming classes with the rate 343 is running the series into the ground. This really isn't for my benefit, but for theirs. If they're truly so desperate for ideas, they would actually look into this, once enough replies and views happen. But, if all they want to do is make money and nothing else, well, Halo is already a lost cause. Probably has been. Like I said earlier, these posts are for anybody who has the ability and resources that is willing to REPLACE Halo as well...mwahahaha!

I'd rather play than make games, just sayin'. I hear that the job can be a nightmare, with your bosses taking advantage of the fact you want to make video games.

Okay, there's not going to be a 'change log' spoof for this since this doesn't actually have to do with the ingame mechanics. It actually has to do with the matchmaking mechanics.

As you all know, it's rather annoying when people quit a match, and that people in skill-based ranking Halo games would de-rank so that they could play with noobs. Most people suggest ideas that would punish such people, but I suggest that the game be made so that they never want to leave, and never want to derank. But how can that be done? Well, I was inspired. Here's the story:

When playing on Guardian in Halo 3, 6v6, my team was getting slaughtered, and quit out, leaving a huge lead for the other team. Two members of the other team quit, because they thought the match wouldn't be fun anymore 6v1. So it became a game of 1v4, the one being me. But unlike most, I actually was looking forward to bringing the match back. I knew it had nothing to do with how well the other team was playing the game, but how poorly my team did. Now that my team was gone and stopped giving the other team free kills, it was all up to me. It was unfair...for the other team! I managed to win that game 29 to 28 when time ran out. Was the other team disappointed? No, actually. Their last words before leaving the lobby were "Dude, you're a freakin' ninja!" We all had fun. I had brought fun out of a match that otherwise would have died. Did I think I was going to win? No, but I enjoyed 'being the mouse'.

Now, Robocraft, a free-to-play game, has a system that judges robots and player skill to matchmake. While most matches are a team of equal number and equal level robots to the other, some matches are completely unbalanced. One or two players with high-level robots will fight an entire team of low-level robots with more members than normal. These are 'boss fight' matches, where the large group of low-level robots work together to take on an otherwise insurmountable foe.

What if highly skilled players could form a small team and fight noobs in an overly large team? What if it was even 1 v 8 or more?!? This would give highly-skilled players the noob stomping they crave and low-level players an opportunity to learn how to work together as a team! The superior numbers on the noob team would give them a huge psychological moral boost to stay in the match, and the pro won't want to quit because it's a target rich environment where the ability to make multi-kills is nearly limitless, where normally a pro playing other pros won't probably get many multi-kills. Also, there's a mental buffer against defeat, where noobs would say 'he was just too good for us' or the pro saying 'there were just too many'.

I think purposely matching high-level players against many low-level players would benefit the game as a whole, making the learning process of the game much faster, and the game that much more exciting, regardless of who wins or loses.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Change Log 9:

-Added sneaky disarm

a. Press the action button (which is reload/swap weapon) while behind an enemy player to steal their weapon or objective item, ala Mirror's Edge. It will drop your currently held weapon, so make sure that the weapon you want to drop is in your hand, and not the one you want to keep. Besides stealing weapons, this can be used for a non-violent game of keep-away oddball.