Dual wiedling in halo 4

gollum385

Does anyone have any other ideas for dual wieldable weapons? i think the pistol grenade thing in the halo trailer could be a cool idea, as long as it isn't as powerful as the normal grenade launcher/brute shot/concussion rifle and definately not as powerful as grenades. Would kind of be a human version of the mauler, but would have some splash damage to go with it. Maybe it's single wield advantage could be a slightly larger splash damage range, or the ability to make stick to walls if you hold the right trigger (kind of like the different grenade launcher firing mode).

Does anyone have any other ideas for dual wieldable weapons? i think the pistol grenade thing in the halo trailer could be a cool idea, as long as it isn't as powerful as the normal grenade launcher/brute shot/concussion rifle and definately not as powerful as grenades. Would kind of be a human version of the mauler, but would have some splash damage to go with it. Maybe it's single wield advantage could be a slightly larger splash damage range, or the ability to make stick to walls if you hold the right trigger (kind of like the different grenade launcher firing mode).

The grenade stick function of which you speak could be interesting- it could bring some kind of strategy to game play.

Though I believe the M7 SMG should make a return with the plasma rifle as they were the two - absolute main Dual-wield able weapons on Halo 2 so they should definitely make a return- As well as the H3 ODST M7S SMG as a single fire weapon (Because it's so fantastically strong :D )

I await the MA5K as a single fire weapon too...

I believe that with the return of a new halo, and hopefully not a new reach, dual wielding should return. Although many dislike it, It is a fun and unique aspect of halo and also feel there is a good solution to the problems of a dual wieldable weapon.

Many dual wieldable weapons are on there own, a poor weapon to have, and this is why many people disregard them. For halo for, i believe the solution is to give each weapon a single wield 'advantage' over the dual wielding. For example, the pistol should be able to scope whilst single wielded, but not when dual wielded. Another example could be the plasma burn effect of a plasma rifle, the 'home in' or vehicle stun time of a plasma pistol, or the bullet spread/reticule bloom of dual wielding a weapon.

I also feel the needler should return as a dual wield weapon. It would need to be stronger than the halo 2 version, and again maybe it's weakness could be a reduction in the 'home in' of the needles. The mauler should also make a return, but should either fire slower, or some other method to ensure the shot beatdown combo does not return (or at least is not as effective).

I also think the sword should be dual wielded. The sword has been constantly outclassed by the shotgun, and so something is needed to spruce it up. The single sword would have a larger lunge range, and possiblt could use less energy per strike (methods to make single wield better). The single wield would require 2 hits, but the speed between hits could be increased, and as most people double beatdown with the sword in halo 3 anyway, this shouldnt be a problem. The dual sword could then be used to be more powerful than shotgun etc, as it will be harder to aquire. It will also make for amazing swords matches.

In place of the single wield sword, A new weapon would take it's place. For anyone who has played halo2, the elites and then brute honour guard, have a staff which they hold (looks like an energy sword on a stick). This would be the new single wield weapon. It would have a great lunge, and the swiping method would work similarly to the grav hammer (but without the pulse), meaning multiple enemies could be hit by it.

Finally i feel the perfect new dual wield feature should be a jackal shield. This shield would have a battery similar to a plasma pistol/rifle. When the trigger is pulled the shield covers the user's body/head. Bullets hitting the shield will make it's energy go down/overheat. If it overheats, the shield dissapears, becomes unusable, like normal jackal shields. To cover your body fully, the user would need to crouch, sacrificing speed for shelter. This would add an interesting aspect to the multiplayer and dual wielding.

People's opinions, Alternative suggestions of how to make dual wielding better and other dual wield weapons would be awesome, I really hope that dual wielding does return, as it is a very unique feature that halo has.

I hope that it returns just because of the fact that it is a halo, and actually not alot of people yoused it because then they didnt have grenades and grenades are normally better then duel weilding, also alot of people didnt know what and how to duel weild. Some of your ideas are good, others like the fact of making a needler stronger i am nott feeling because i live in europe and when an non european has host, and youses the needler, they own with it the damage is insain so i really hope they DONT do that because that would just mess up us more :P

Definately agree all previous dual wieldable weapons should be back. Like the idea of the smg from odst as a single wield weapon, although maybe it would just be a weak assault rifle? of course i am all up for multiple weapons in a range bracket. Bungies idea that things like the beam rifle shouldnt return in reach was stupid, i feel it was one of the more missed weapons in reach, as it meant the covenant had a limited armoury for the campaign.

muted desire, i'd like to clarify i am talking about the power of the needler in halo 2, when it was dual wielded, rather than the one in reach. I think making the needler single wield was a big mistake. It was too powerful in halo 3, and whilst reach made it more balanced, i feel it should be dual wield. Again to make it effective as a single wield weapon, a special effect like the homing of the needles would be given to it when single wielded. This means although more needles are required, the extra accuracy helps it when single wielded. Of course even without the extra home in, the needler would be better dual wielded,although recoil/bloom or whatever would also make it slightly less successful hit ratio. Of course you would be firing twice as many bullets, so that means even without the accuracy you will still kill them quicker. Note you also lose the ability of grenades.

Definately agree all previous dual wieldable weapons should be back. Like the idea of the smg from odst as a single wield weapon, although maybe it would just be a weak assault rifle? of course i am all up for multiple weapons in a range bracket. Bungies idea that things like the beam rifle shouldnt return in reach was stupid, i feel it was one of the more missed weapons in reach, as it meant the covenant had a limited armoury for the campaign.

I disagree with making the M7S a weak assault rifle variant as ODST still had the MA5C in. Together with M7 SMG from Halo 2 though, It should definitely make a return. Though, I still strongly feel the MA5K Carbine, which is described in Halo: Ghosts of Onyx as been a cut down version of the MA5B (Halo: CE), should be in it with it's 60 round magazine :D-Failing the MA5B returning... I'm also glad they can't change the look of any of the Assault Rifles in Halo 4 because the Assault Rifle from Reach was an earlier predecessor and would not be included in the inventory of the Forward Unto Dawn.

I also miss the Covenant Carbine as well as the Beam Rifle- They were fantastic weapons to use (Pictures the beautiful scene from Halo 2: Over the rock, Through the bush, nothing but Jackal- Jackal at the top of a waterfall which you kill, take it's beam rifle and marvel in the surroundings as you kill other snipers and elites :D ) As Good as the Needle Rifle was- they now can't keep it because of the Time difference... Besides- it claimed the life of One Spartan before they will be removed any way... (R.I.P Kat)

I think you should be able to dual wield pretty much anything except the bigger sized weps.

EG: Sniper, Rocket, etc. So you could have things like dual shotguns or assault rifles because you don't need to worry about weight because there Spartans for crying out loud.

Dual wielding is supposed to be overpowered because it's two guns.

I think the original dual wield system was fine, and I do get what you're saying with the new features of it, I find those specific ones unnecessary, and would much rather have a system more similar to Halo 3's system. To be honest I don't get what you're saying with them being bad by themselves. Plasma Rifle is a great and personal favorite weapon of mine, and the SMG does fine as well.

They're very similar, plasma rifle, SMG, spiker, ect; good power and fire rate, low range. Works out fine. By themselves I've used them, and same when they're dual wielded. Same goes with the magnum and mauler.

Dual wielding swords is a terrible idea. Sure, it'd be cool for Machinima, appearance, which would quickly be worn out anyway, but the game mechanics would be all screwed up with it. The same exact thing goes for the energy spike (I believe it's called), appearance is cool, mechanics would be screwed up.

They should be as good as just any weapon that is there, AR, BR/DMR, Carbine/Needle Rifle, ect, but when you dual wield it, the reticle should become larger, decreasing accuracy for power. This all depends on bloom being absent however, which I'm not suggesting nor disagreeing with.

The Jackal Shield idea has very similar thoughts although it works a lot differently. It could be interesting, a bit unoriginal such as MW2, but not the worst idea. It'd be hard to do, considering jackal's size and their shields, providing very little cover. But the whole energy battery concept is interesting. It could be cool, but not the best choice and I won't be too excited, nor will I complain if it's implemented in, if dual wield is in at all.

Come on man don't hate on Reach because it lacked dual wieldable weapons. Sure I would have liked to see the pistols and various submachine guns in both hands but Reach still had amazing gameplay. Stuff like dual wielding energy swords is unnecessary because the weapon already kills instantly and its only kryptonite is the shotgun and gravity hammer. Suggesting that 2 hits kill with the sword would completely defeat the purpose of having the sword for it would just be as powerful as a standard melee strike. Just trust that Bungie made everything as good as possible and 343 will make it better.

A, sensing a lot of hate for a dual sword! I think the enrgy stave would be just as good as a sword, but it's longer length would actually mean it could contend with the shotgun (as the person will be further away, meaning the shotgun won't be quite as effective (not an overpowered reach shotgun either). Also a 2 hit strike would be like beatdown, but it would definately be quicker than a beatdown in terms of time, aswell as the fact it would have a far greater lunge.

The jackal shield would require crouching to cover the whole body, that would slow you down, nullifying it's advantage. Of course standing up means you can still be hit, but at least your head (the area that should take more damage unlike reach systems) would be covered.

I'd like to calrify dual wielding was not the main reason why reach's gameplay failed. In fact compared to the other big problems, such as poor maps, aa's and loadouts, a horrible ranking/level system, and horribly unbalanced grenades, aswell as a poor shield and health system, it was a minor issue.

But dual wielding is something which has been a part of halo. Yea some people dislike it, but others like it, and it definately makes sense to have. I like how people refer to the fact it is good when you have no grenades, or reloading each one sperately so you always have a gun to fire.

Definately larger weapons shouldnt be able to be dual wielded, and yes to a return of carbine and beam rifle, and brute shot, and battle rifle, and all that stuff!

Also special abilities of dual wield weapons when single wielded was just an idea. larger reticule makes sense on its own or with this idea. However i think these abilities would be good as they allow the gun to handle differently, ie with a scope or better lunge or plasma burn etc, so there is a choice to make by the player as to what is best for that situation.

Hope i covered everything!

I agree with a majority aside from the needler. the needler was highly overpowered as a dual wield and i just dont like it. i like the idea of the jackal shield as a whole. the fact that it would be a plasma pistol in a different skin and without the actual shooting it wouldnt be that hard to just take the code of the plasma pistol and reshape the skin into the jackal skin. As far as the swords go, you my friend are my hero i've been waiting for someone to come up witha logical way to dual wield the energy sword and it seems you have found it.

Bring back All the weapons. I mean the everything. I want a Hunter's fuelrod gun from H2 and the ODST SMG to go with my Missle pod.

I miss dual weilding. But go one step furthur and let me dual weild... EVERYTHING. Dual Splasers or the Double needler combo from H2. The guns themselves would take up so much screen space that the lack of vision would make up for the over powerment. Besides. We've been waiting for 10 years to dual swords. I think its about time we got at least that.

BUT DO NOT DO THE SINGLE USE POWER IDEA. it would be mega abused.

Make it so you pick the SMG's up in pairs or something. They shoot at the same time, and are as strong as a spiker (Which is stronger than the AR). You use one button to shoot both guns. You can still use grenades with them.

i like your thinking although i don't think you should be able to throw grenades while dual wield snce your hands are full

Duel weilding is a great idea to bring back for me.

In fact I think all the weponds in halo 3 should be duel weildable, and hope that there is a type of armor ability to allow all the weponds duel weildabe but with the sacrifice of no zooms and more recoil. I always wanted duel weilding energy swords, also if I had a plasma rifle with an energy sword, that would be awsome. At the beggining of halo 3 they made the concept of the jackal sheild you made and I was so eagar to get my hands on it but sadly it wasnt included in the game. Yes duel weilding and sheilds were made in halo before COD. Even duel weilding rocket launchers would probably be cool for some gametypes. For those who dont like it there should probably be a different playlist for no duel weilding at all option.

gollum385 Your ideas are great but the energy stave should probably be reconsidered, but if they balance the weponds I do think it is possible

So in the end Duel wielding for me affirmative