Oceanic Battles

I recently read a thread that discussed implementing a type of amphibious vehicle or boat into halo. This lead me to come up with a what i think is a terrific idea, so figured that this needs its own thread. The other thread was just some inspiration for me, but trust me, this is worth reading

This idea is a new gametype that would be based on oceanic battles. I have not come up with a name for it

- 2 teams

- 8 players per team 

- each team spawns with a "battleship"

- battleships remain stationary at a reasonable distance from each other

- each battleship will spawn with mounted turrets(normal and rocket), flying vehicles, and  powerful man-canons

-each ship has vital points, such as a bridge, engine room, communication structures, etc.

the objective of the game is to destroy vital points on your opponent's ship to "sink" them. Points are earned by destroying the objectives, assisting in destruction, or killing opponents that are attacking your objective, as well as all of the basic stuff. the vital points are heavily shielded, so it will require multiple players to destroy an objective. Some objectives will be exposed to the air, so they can be attacked by flying vehicles, while others will be in bowels of the ship in a more confined environment

Teammates will have to work together to coordinate "raids" on the opponent's ship to attack single or multiple objectives at once. man-canons will act as the main form of transportation between ships, but a vehicle such as the falcon can transport players as well. man-canons will be spread out along ships to provide multiple points of entry and provide raids that are not always predictable 

some(but not all) objectives will be exposed to the surface of a ship, so they can be attacked with air vehicles. Banshees can be used to attack these objectives, or whatever UNSC vehicle happens to be flyable. mounted turrets on ships will provide anti-air defenses. 

for some final details to clear up any ideas that may seem controversial:

- no ordinance weapons will spawn to prevent camping man-canons

-ships will be far enough apart that players will not be able to damage each other from their home ship

this mode can be done as a regular gametype, but i thought it needed to be better. How about this is done invasion style?? And more loadouts for each race can be unlocked by destroying objectives 

I am open to any questions, thoughts, and concerns. I would also love to hear some feedback about this idea

Edited by Victory Element
  • Like 2

I don't know. I think boats would start to phased out en masse with the introduction of starships.

When you can just fly a starship frigate wherever on the planet in a matter of minutes warships totally lose their purpose.

I wouldn't be opposed to a proper "space battle" though.

• Like 2

Star Wars Battlefront much?

Also part of my inspiration

@wombat you are correct sir. But like bacon said, it would end up way too much like star wars battlefront if it involved starships. I just wanted to put a twist on this I guess to keep it unique

If only it was possible to create objectives that need to be destroyed in forge mode or in the game settings

New idea, is it possible to make a king of the hill mode where certain hills can only be captured by one team in specific?? If so, a gametype like this can probably be made in forge, with the objectives becoming hills on the opponent's ship

Also part of my inspiration

@wombat you are correct sir. But like bacon said, it would end up way too much like star wars battlefront if it involved starships. I just wanted to put a twist on this I guess to keep it unique

If only it was possible to create objectives that need to be destroyed in forge mode or in the game settings

I did't go in depth about it obviously, but when I say proper I mean more than just "fly banshee at big ship".

It would be cool if the frigates or whatever they are actually engaged in combat while moving through space. The players could also destroy an enemy ship and the remaining players on the enemy team couldn't respawn anymore.

I imagine firing a MAC round through a Covenant Corvette would be very satisfying.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...