Why Games Don't Look or Feel Real

Whenever you're playing Halo 4, Assassin's Creed or just anything else in general, there is always a sense of bulk. What do I mean; I mean that whenever you come out of that real time sequence where the player looked loose and like a ragdoll, a rush of bulk kicks in and the player looks like a robot when you gain control. Sure, it is really hard to make interactional controls for the player, but we live in the HD era of games, where the edges of textures are unknown, and lighting is a mechanism, rather than a manual placement. Another thing that doesn't make games look real: single sequence actions. If we literally reloaded our M-16 the same exact way every time, that we would just look like robots. The animation should be several, but all of them should be within different time spans as well. When is the last time you reloaded in two seconds twice in one day? Exactly. Speaking of angles...

When the first person perspective, The weapon is visible in a mode called "hip-fire" but unless you have a height disorder, there is no way you should even see the tip of the barrel from your hip side. Hold a weapon at where the weapon usually sits for a long time is no joke. You're carrying weapons from 8 - 100 pounds, and even then, they act like you were one of the lucky ones at boot camp. I know, I pushing this a little too heavy on the Call of Duty example, but who can blame me? It is most noticeable in Call of Duty!

Weapon swapping; unless you have four arms, there's no way you can swap weapons like you do in modern games. It always looks like the weapon swinging out of view and another swinging in. Wouldn't you look at your gun while you are holstering it so you would know that you did it correctly? I'm not gonna even start with reloading...

Melee; games need stamina bars. Moving your hands to cause sharp or blunt bodily harm is not an easy task to perform. Knifes are really, really hard to remove once stabbed into something. You never see anyone using the butt of the rifle with that metal butt specifically designed for cqc...

In conclusion, these are just few of the reasons why FPS games in general are flat out unrealistic.

Whenever you're playing Halo 4, Assassin's Creed or just anything else in general, there is always a sense of bulk. What do I mean; I mean that whenever you come out of that real time sequence where the player looked loose and like a ragdoll, a rush of bulk kicks in and the player looks like a robot when you gain control. Sure, it is really hard to make interactional controls for the player, but we live in the HD era of games, where the edges of textures are unknown, and lighting is a mechanism, rather than a manual placement. Another thing that doesn't make games look real: single sequence actions. If we literally reloaded our M-16 the same exact way every time, that we would just look like robots. The animation should be several, but all of them should be within different time spans as well. When is the last time you reloaded in two seconds twice in one day? Exactly. Speaking of angles...

Firstly, a game is not meant to be realistic.  A game is meant to be enjoyed for fun.  Not because something you do in game is real, looks real, or feels real.  If you want to experience those things, then try going out and doing them.  As for reloading an M-16 the same way every time, it's for the simplification of the matter.  It's easier to code and render 1 reload sequence for 35 weapons than it is to code 3 reload sequences for 35 weapons.  Just common sense.

When the first person perspective, The weapon is visible in a mode called "hip-fire" but unless you have a height disorder, there is no way you should even see the tip of the barrel from your hip side. Hold a weapon at where the weapon usually sits for a long time is no joke. You're carrying weapons from 8 - 100 pounds, and even then, they act like you were one of the lucky ones at boot camp. I know, I pushing this a little too heavy on the Call of Duty example, but who can blame me? It is most noticeable in Call of Duty!

How often would you be running through a combat zone with your gun actually at your hip?  Yes, it is called "hip-fire", but to actually think that is where your character is holding his weapon is ridiculous.  He's holding it like he would normally be holding it, and it is simply called "hip-fire" because you are not aiming down the sites, just pulling the trigger and firing in a general direction, which is why it is way less accurate.  As for the whole "carrying weapons from 8 - 100 pounds" - that comes back to the first point I made.  A game is meant to be fun, not realistic.  Sure, in real life a guy isn't going to hold his weapon there for as long as he does, but again, a game isn't real life.  

Weapon swapping; unless you have four arms, there's no way you can swap weapons like you do in modern games. It always looks like the weapon swinging out of view and another swinging in. Wouldn't you look at your gun while you are holstering it so you would know that you did it correctly? I'm not gonna even start with reloading...

Melee; games need stamina bars. Moving your hands to cause sharp or blunt bodily harm is not an easy task to perform. Knifes are really, really hard to remove once stabbed into something. You never see anyone using the butt of the rifle with that metal butt specifically designed for cqc...

In conclusion, these are just few of the reasons why FPS games in general are flat out unrealistic.

I decided to combine all of these, since they are fairly short responses.  Weapon swapping is the way it is because if they made it more realistic, people wouldn't want to play the game.  Instead of a 2 second weapon swap, it now takes 15 - 20 seconds, that leads to death in a game, especially a game like CoD or Battlefield.  I know I wouldn't play a game that implemented this.  Same goes for melee.  If I use my knife once and then lose it, that would suck pretty hardcore.  

And as for my conclusion, games are not meant to be realistic.  Therefore, they are doing exactly what they were designed to do/be.  They were meant for fun and escaping the real world for a bit, not to try and imitate it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

And if you are a real marksman you try to load a gun as fast as you can as smoothly and have the same movement. I hunt for my food and trust me it is possible to load a clip in two seconds. And the melee thing you mentioned did you use a toothpick when  you came up with that conclusion. Because if a blade is sharp  you don't have to put much muscle into it... Just sayin'...