Zealous v1.5

A Zealot remake by Resivore.

2-8 recommended player count.

Supported gametypes: Slayer, CTF.

DOWNLOAD ZEALOUS V1.5

pgl4skv4_1teamslayer12_zps923bcd40.jpg

Introduction

A project I'd aspired to do since the dawn of Halo 4, my goal of bringing Zealot to life (somewhat) has been achieved. In an attempt to recreate Zealot, Zealous was born. Of course, it plays far different than that of Reach; thanks to our godly jumps (did the Spartans grow wings, or...?), and map awareness and maneuvering skills have been brought to a whole new level. I did my best to stay true to the ideas and overall layout of Reach's Zealot without subtracting from aesthetic appeal. The game play is fast pace and exciting, true to the nature of the original, if I may say so myself.

Weapons

Sniper - x1 - 2 extra clips - 120 sec - Top Gold

Railgun - x1 - 3 extra clips - 120 sec - Green / "Holos"

DMR - x1 - 2 extra clips - 30 sec - Ring 2

Covenant Carbine - x2 - 2 extra clips - 30 sec - Red + Blue "Pocket"

Railgun - Because Halo 4 no longer features the Grenade Launcher (moment of silence to mourn for its loss, please), I needed to pick a replacement weapon to take its position. I chose the Railgun. In my opinion, I feel that the Railgun is ultimately more similar to Reach's Grenade Launcher than 4's Sticky Detonator. Having to hold and charge it (although not at your disposal) brings back a familiar feeling of charging the Grenade Launcher. The ranges are similar, although I will say the Railgun's range is larger and more accurate, but can also be faulty in given circumstances.

Screenshots

Initial loadout.

pgl4skv4_1teamslayer12_zps923bcd40.jpg

Top gold, snipe spawn.

pgl4skv4_1teamslayer16_zpsc6df4038.jpg

Green, rail spawn, view of the street connector.

pgl4skv4_1teamslayer17_zpsb8b95cd1.jpg

Blue flag, jump, drop, basement.

pgl4skv4_1teamslayer15_zps644758f3.jpg

View from blue flag, shows ring 3, blue landing, gold bridge.

pgl4skv4_1teamslayer14_zpsb234d78f.jpg

Blue landing, fanciful windows (can I trademark these? I love them). Also the one and only actual circular part of this map.

pgl4skv4_1teamslayer13_zpsad873c3a.jpg

Notes

I am eagerly awaiting feedback. I know from my own experience that I enjoy how this plays, but I'm always listening to suggestions. I did not post this with the impression that it is as good as it's ever going to be, the Halo community's input can always be useful in bringing a map to its full potential.

Updates

6/1/13 - Zealous v1.5: Added a ceiling to top gold and red and blue streets. Teleporter is replaced with a lift similar to that of non-MLG Zealot at its base.

• Like 1

There seems to be some areas that are too open. I also think I see some very long sightlines.

Could you perhaps post more screenshots of the map? An overview picture or two would be nice.

Also, those "fanciful windows" in the 6th picture look really weird to me. Windows generally have all four of their sides attached to something. Those windows you placed only have one side attached.

Here's a couple more screenshots.

zealousv1_5_zpsed51b6a6.jpg

zealousv1_51_zps8ca1c2b2.jpg

zealousv1_52_zps34975979.jpg

And a view of the new lift - I decided to make the entrance to the lift rather room-like and "circular" (octangular if you will), to allow for a breather from battle and a more viable escape route.

zealousv1_54_zpscf3441ab.jpg

And the longest line of sight, which I'll discuss in a moment.

zealousv1_53_zpse76773e9.jpg

After having played this map, I will not deny that this is a rather large line of sight. However, I wouldn't consider it game breaking, per say, or even remotely problematic. To be frank,  a push for top control should be a hard one, and after playing I know that it is merely hard (or less so, depending on how organized or smart the team you're playing is), and not unattainable. What I feel this brings to game play is a higher competitive aspect, forcing teams to call out well and on time. Knowing when and where the enemy will be is key to controlling Top Gold and the two streets. Getting caught off guard or by yourself will almost certainly get you killed, but then, why shouldn't it? 

The original Zealot design doesn't have this monstrous line of sight exactly, due to its curvature, but it does have one similar - perhaps less dangerous in length. What accommodates for this, in my opinion, is the flag drop down, the street wall (on landing, you can hide behind it somewhat, just long enough to either make a dash or re-gen your shields, or even gather yourself long enough to fight back), and various other pillars (such as the one that has the jump up from basement to flag). These things make for an opportunity of escape, which doesn't work all the time, but again, if your awareness is good, they should suffice.

I can definitely see the inspiraton that Zealot gave this map.

I'm not a big fan of the candy-coloring though. I don't think the purple was necessary. I usually try to limit my maps to 3-4 colors.

But I like this map's layout and the long sightlines aren't really wide enough to be a nuisance.

I think you could have made the bottom a little less visually noisy. But I can't really say for sure since I didn't make this map.

Send me an invite if you're planning to run more games on this.

I'm not a big fan of the candy-coloring though. I don't think the purple was necessary. I usually try to limit my maps to 3-4 colors.

I think you could have made the bottom a little less visually noisy. But I can't really say for sure since I didn't make this map.

Coloring, I just color all the pieces. It kind of bugs me to go through and color a lot of them then leave some blank *shrug*. In game, no one really notices, though, so it's not a big deal either way. Normally I just color everything (especially on original maps with no inspiration) to help with player call outs since colors are generally the first things people say. 

By bottom, do you mean ring 2 / bottom mid? If so, I'm not so positive that  I could have while still preserving the usefulness of the lifts. It's quite a task throwing two 45 degree angle lifts down there and still having it look somewhat decent. ^^; (If I could make everything nice and blank like stunt ramps, believe me, I would).