RE: The SAW

Mkoll

My big problem with the SAW is that the AR sucks.

"What?"

It creates a new power weapon, but is basically just a really badass AR/Storm Rifle/Suppressor, which means in order for the SAW to become/remain badass, those weapons can't get any better lest they "become a friggen SAW!"

What people in this community (I refer to the Halo community, not the people on this site) fail to realize is that when you get something nice 343 has taken something else away (Bungie did the same thing before them) or at least made their final nerf to it.

Player base speed went down in Halo 2, then again in Halo 3. By that point people were complaining about how slow they were and they wanted sprint.

So they got sprint.

...but they also got slowed down EVEN MORE, after all, now you could sprint to make up for it right? No, you HAD TO SPRINT to get ANYWHERE. You wanted sprint or jet pack to make up for your lack of speed in Reach.

So the AR got a massive clip nerf in Halo 3. In Reach it got so bad that the game would have literally been much better without it (No "personal preference" BS, if you used the AR a lot in Reach you sucked).

People likely said "PLEASE give us a better automatic weapon"

"BUT we still hate the AR and melee."

So now we get the SAW, which has effectively staked out a claim in the automatic weapon turf that keeps the loadout automatics from ever being considered for improvement.

I like the SAW, but I don't like what it does to the weapon balance. No arguments that loadout automatics DON'T suck will be heard, because they do, invariably, inarguably, suck. As long as the SAW is around they'll stay that bad too. Or perhaps more accurately, as long as the community is full of idiots who can't identify the source of their problem, we will never have good automatic loadout weapons. The SAW is just the face of that problem.

Are you sure player speed went down in 2/3? I always feel like I took a speed decrease when I go back to that game. As for the rest of all that, I can't speak for it. You've clearly thought more about the game-designing aspect of it more than I have. I just didn't want to see 343 make my favorite game into something mundane so that little kids who've played ****ty tactical shooters their whole lives will have an easy power weapon. An easy power weapon that the Chief would scoff at and say, "Where're my rotating barrels, when I kill something I want to kill it forever, and I don't want to be able to sprint off like a ***** afterwards, because I'm a SPARTAN and the glory's in the challenge."

So is your entire game playing just using mounted turrets?

Every other weapons would have a marine who uses it or specializes in using it.

No, but my heavy weaponing is.

And that's the point, the entire reason Halo is cool is that there is no Marine that can do everything the Chief does.

I don't see how the SAW changes that. A marine uses every single other UNSC weapon that Chief can use.

The point I'm making is that the SAW is a totally redundant weapon (because of the removable turret, which is why I bring it up) that isn't particularly interesting or innovative because it's so ordinary and commonly used in other games. Of course the Marines can use the other weapons, but I'm not talking about the other weapons, I'm talking about huge ******* guns that they couldn't use. I've said it about three times now: I'm not a Marine in Halo. I don't want to be limited to the kind of things that Marines can do. That's why I was attracted to these games going back to Combat Evolved, because I liked seeing the Chief flip a tank, then jump into a Banshee and instantly know how to work it, then break an Elite's spine with one hit, then sprint into a company of enemy troops with no support, then chuck a grenade 300 yards, then RIP A ******* TURRET OFF ITS TRIPOD AND CARRY IT AROUND, LIKE A BOSS. If the weapon itself isn't interesting or innovative, I don't want to see it in Halo. I'm talking in circles now, but if I'm going to use a heavy weapon with my 500-years-in-the-future-Space-Warrior, I want it to be cool as ****, and the typical SAW is not cool as ****. I'm on board with the pistols and the assault rifles and all the other staples because they're basic tools of the trade, but heavy weapons are where developers are supposed to really flex their creative muscles.

[edit] And I'm not trying to sound like an ******* or bash you personally, but I feel very strongly about this subject. Otherwise I wouldn't have made a thread about it.

As I said it should have been some type of energy weapon. Maybe a UNSC attempt to replicate Covenant plasma tech, same damage, rate of fire and range as the SAW, just with a more creative weapon model and particle effect. Think Focus rifle sustained energy beam but larger in diameter.

Flex that creative muscle indeed. Its suppose to be futuristic weapons, not every gun need rely on bullets simply because its man made.

the saw is amazing i dont care what you think about that 

Are you seriously eleven? Don't go telling me my opinion is worthless, you weren't even alive when I started merking people in video games.

As I said it should have been some type of energy weapon. Maybe a UNSC attempt to replicate Covenant plasma tech, same damage, rate of fire and range as the SAW, just with a more creative weapon model and particle effect. Think Focus rifle sustained energy beam but larger in diameter.

Flex that creative muscle indeed. Its suppose to be futuristic weapons, not every gun need rely on bullets simply because its man made.

Just as long as I feel like it's the culmination of my 30 years of combat when I pick it up.

The point I'm making is that the SAW is a totally redundant weapon (because of the removable turret, which is why I bring it up) that isn't particularly interesting or innovative because it's so ordinary and commonly used in other games. Of course the Marines can use the other weapons, but I'm not talking about the other weapons, I'm talking about huge ******* guns that they couldn't use. I've said it about three times now: I'm not a Marine in Halo. I don't want to be limited to the kind of things that Marines can do. That's why I was attracted to these games going back to Combat Evolved, because I liked seeing the Chief flip a tank, then jump into a Banshee and instantly know how to work it, then break an Elite's spine with one hit, then sprint into a company of enemy troops with no support, then chuck a grenade 300 yards, then RIP A ******* TURRET OFF ITS TRIPOD AND CARRY IT AROUND, LIKE A BOSS. If the weapon itself isn't interesting or innovative, I don't want to see it in Halo. I'm talking in circles now, but if I'm going to use a heavy weapon with my 500-years-in-the-future-Space-Warrior, I want it to be cool as ****, and the typical SAW is not cool as ****. I'm on board with the pistols and the assault rifles and all the other staples because they're basic tools of the trade, but heavy weapons are where developers are supposed to really flex their creative muscles.

[edit] And I'm not trying to sound like an ******* or bash you personally, but I feel very strongly about this subject. Otherwise I wouldn't have made a thread about it.

Okay, that makes more sense now. Earlier it just seemed so... weird as to the reasoning that you didn't like it.

I can see where you are coming from, but I personally like the weapon. It can control areas quite well while I find that the turret struggles at this.

Basically Saw is for indoor engagements (and it obviously excels over the assault rifles due to it being a power weapon) and the Turret for outdoors.