Bad map design

icycoolx

This post is meant to be constructive and in no way is meant to offend or insult 343 or anyone else. This is here to be helpful to everybody and point out things that I feel need to be pointed out. I love Halo and I feel like these threads are good and helpful when it done with no hate. So please no hate comments.

Okay, let's get to it shall we. Alright, let's organize the maps.

Complex - The map has that one or two central buildings that are very campy. Battles get very stagnant around this area and typically can get pretty unfair. I also noticed that on Infinity Slayer one team is closer to the building then the other team. I also have a big problem with being able to sit on the top of that central building. I think there needs to be a soft kill boundary on top of the base. The map does work for CTF better than it does for Slayer. I am not sure how I feel about the other gametypes.

Solace - The map is way too open and small for a 4 v 4 map. It also has way to many starting weapons. The sword and incineration cannon next to each other in the center and the two snipers on each base.

Adrift - This map I think is good for Oddball and Slayer but nothing else except maybe SWAT. This map was not really made for anything else or at least it doesn't come across that way. This why I don't understand it being on the CTF playlist.

Haven - Some complained about the initial spawns not being symetrical. There was that but other than that I thought it was one of there maps or maybe the only map that was super solid for gameplay. It did have quite a bit of stagnant gameplay down at the bottom center though. However, I think that was more with the casual public. If you were to go to a more competitive scene it doesn't feel stagnant on Haven at all thankfully.

Ragnarok - One side can to the pelican faster than the other team which can become a problem. It can get pretty stagnant down there and I feel like it can get pretty chaotic in that small area.

I think that there is big lack of maps in general too. Well we all know this already and this is why forge maps NEED to be added into matchmaking. The forge test playlist idea is brilliant. I think I may copy and paste this to the Halo Waypoint forums if needed but I might not.

• Like 2

Your opinions are based on your own strategies and experiences on those maps. I had favorites and least favorites, too. But every game is different. There is always a strategy to counter the other team, you just might not have thought of it yet. If a team is camping on the buildings snipe them. Or make them come to you. Or sneak up on them. Or wait for rockets. Or drive a blam!ing ghost on the roof. It doesn't matter, just think of what they won't anticipate, and do that. If it were up to you all the maps would be flat and symmetrical and I would quit playing. I must've played a hundred games on haven and each time it's different. If you get killed in the center DON'T GO IN THE CENTER.

Hemorrhage is in this game? Oh wait.....

Sorry, I meant to say Ragnarok. Not hemorrhage haha.

Your opinions are based on your own strategies and experiences on those maps. I had favorites and least favorites, too. But every game is different. There is always a strategy to counter the other team, you just might not have thought of it yet. If a team is camping on the buildings snipe them. Or make them come to you. Or sneak up on them. Or wait for rockets. Or drive a blam!ing ghost on the roof. It doesn't matter, just think of what they won't anticipate, and do that. If it were up to you all the maps would be flat and symmetrical and I would quit playing. I must've played a hundred games on haven and each time it's different. If you get killed in the center DON'T GO IN THE CENTER.

On Haven I don't go directly in the center ever. I know full well the other team and my team are always going to be duking it out down there. Casuals might sit down there and duke it out while more competitive players will stick to the top sides. While yes I would say your advice makes sense it does not mean that the maps don't have bad design. First of all, they don't have nearly enough maps in the first place and they have even fewer really good maps.

I'd like to share my opinion on this. I don't think that there are many things wrong with the maps themselves. I think that some of the spawning on certain maps are unfair, but besides that, my only complaint are that there not enough 4v4 small maps. This is why I love the community forge playlist, small symmetrical maps. (My opinion on small maps may be a little biased due to my love for competitive maps and fast pace game play)

-Inversion