The Halo RPG Idea Thread

Father B

Do you love Halo? Get weak in the knees over RPG's? Does the idea of a Halo RPG make your imagination run wild? If you wish there was a Halo RPG, then come on in and share your thoughts and ideas!

Discuss Content

The setting (time and location) and plot. Playable races. Usable weapons. Armor and accessories. Drivable vehicles…

Nothing is off the table here!

Game mechanics

Live Action or Turn-based? Solo or Party? Combat, movement and travel systems. Hit Points, Stamina, Strength, Speed, Items and Equipment bonuses…

Get as detailed as you want!

All in all, let's talk about the notion of a Halo RPG, in the hope that one day in the not-too-distant future we will have our shared dream become a reality.

To get started, I'll divulge a few ideas of my own that I might like to see in such a game.

Different factions: Human Insurrectionists, UNSC, Covenant, Elite Heretics or even Forerunners. Depending on the timeframe of the setting, any or all of these may be possible.

A wide range of character options, from Marines and Grunts to Spartans and Elite Zealots. "Balance" an issue? Not if your PC (Player Character) is really a fireteam of Marines or Grunts that form a single cohesive unit that could stand up to a formidable opponent. Who needs to be a One Man Army when you can choose a small task force of your own, fully customizable with weapons and armor of your choosing.

An entire galaxy to navigate. Hundreds of habitable worlds to explore. And an untold number of Forerunner constructs and artifacts waiting to be found.

Want to discuss these ideas? By all means, ask questions, make suggestions, and share your own ideas.

There is no such thing as a stupid idea here, so don't hold back. Let's hear it. =)

Question is this RPG gonna be noob friendly?

If a person has played an RPG before, I don't see why it wouldn't be easy enough to grasp. It hasn't been created (yet), so no reason to concern ourselves with the difficulty of learning it. Right now it's just a concept. Any ideas for what you would like to see from a Halo RPG, V?

Ilike the idea of an RPG based around the halo universe, seems like your main character should be a spartan, but allies you pick up should consist of ODST, Elite's, Mercenary's, possibly a Spartan Mk III and the fights should be based on the FPS gameplay we're used to now, squad battle's but their captain can have 2 overshields or somethin so they're harder to take down and 1 life for everyone but depending on you and your equipment depends on what defence you have, eg personal overshields and health bars and so forth. I would definetly play it if it was done in this manner.

If a person has played an RPG before, I don't see why it wouldn't be easy enough to grasp. It hasn't been created (yet), so no reason to concern ourselves with the difficulty of learning it. Right now it's just a concept. Any ideas for what you would like to see from a Halo RPG, V?

i've played console rpgs but never a table top rpg or forum rpg,unless warhammer counts, and as for ideas as long as i get to be an ODST im happy

Wow, more replies than I thought would be waiting for me. Sorry, guys, I had an issue with hitting my maximum Data Usage with my iPhone. Hooray, right? Blah. Well let's get to replies…

The format is up for grabs.

I mean, as far as video-games go, if you want it to be an Action RPG like the aforementioned Elder Scrolls and Mass Effect games, great!

If you prefer turn-based RPG's, that's cool, too!

Myself, I'm partial to P&P RPG's like D&D and the Star Wars RPG, but I've played so many video-game RPG's that I'm more than familiar with how they work.

All I'm hoping for is for some folks to share the ideas that they've been inspired to develop because of the notion of a Halo RPG. I'm not one to set limitations or tell you what you can or can't share with us.

The topic isn't focused on one type. Discuss whatever type that pleases you. =D

For instance, can you imagine being a freelancer after the Prophet of Truth is slain and the Covenant falls apart, whose primary income is earned by hunting and killing the stupefied Covenant remnants?

With the money you earn, you purchase weapons and armor and modifications for both, vehicles, or even your own ship.

Or maybe you establish contacts and form relationships with some folks in some very interesting places who, perhaps for a price, could provide you with the means to augment yourself physically (harkening back to the old colonial Orion Project that inspired the UNSC's Spartan projects).

And maybe… just maybe… the Insurrection begins again now that the UNSC has been weakened.

And if it does, do you choose to aid the UNSC or the Innies?

Think about that. FPS gameplay in a galaxy of a sandbox to run amuck in. I'd be down for that.

wow you really thought about it, i liked how fable played with the combat and the your actions affecting the game (wish there were more thoe) i think the game should have 2 different forces against each other like in WOW with humanity having spartens, guys who specialize in major combat with them having more health and a little more damage but move slower and get poned 1v1 . ODST's who are more sneaky and better at 1v1 and other solo missions, them having less health but way more damage and moves fast, a marine who is basically good at everything but dosnt own at a certain aspect. Im sure you can think of things for covenant and i think it would be really fun if you could chose a side and fight one another. i know it sounds like wow but make it play like fable or mass afect i dont wana play a game on the comp like that.

i posted an idea for a halo rpg in a thread spectral jester made a long time ago, so i guess I'll re post it here

my game would be a cross between halo:odst and Fallout 3. it would be a fps rpg set in the halo universe and you would play as a marine. you could buy different weapons and different armors like maybe the army body armor or the marine body armor or odst armor, and of course there will be vehicles you'd be able to drive, it could take place on harvest early in the human-covenant war, and you would get quests where you would have to defend cities from attacks, attack covenant bases, reclaim areas taken over by the covenant and maybe there could be a battle on board a covenant cruiser or a unsc frigate or something like that. you will get exp. for kills and completing quests and you could get abilities to make your guy better like increased accuracy or the ability to dual wield pistols, increased movement speed, carrying capacity and other things like that.

Well if it's an entire video game, there are no boundaries.

First of all is the ability to choose which race you play as. However, you are limited to the races in the galaxy during the Human Covie war. So, you get to pick between Human (UNSC), Human (Scientist), Human (Rebel), Elite, Grunt (Heretic), Grunt (Covie), Hunter (Heretic), Hunter (Covie), Engineer, Brute, Jackal, Drone, Monitor, and Flood (You would start as an infection form, then slowly work up to a juggernaut, which sadly never made it into Halo. Look them up sometime if you wanna.)

It would take place during the end of Halo 2, so if it says heretic, they are Elite Sympathizers.

I think thats a good place to start off. Anyone disagree with the choice of races?

Well if it's an entire video game, there are no boundaries.

First of all is the ability to choose which race you play as. However, you are limited to the races in the galaxy during the Human Covie war. So, you get to pick between Human (UNSC), Human (Scientist), Human (Rebel), Elite, Grunt (Heretic), Grunt (Covie), Hunter (Heretic), Hunter (Covie), Engineer, Brute, Jackal, Drone, Monitor, and Flood (You would start as an infection form, then slowly work up to a juggernaut, which sadly never made it into Halo. Look them up sometime if you wanna.)

It would take place during the end of Halo 2, so if it says heretic, they are Elite Sympathizers.

I think thats a good place to start off. Anyone disagree with the choice of races?

You should choose your side, and your race, then you are what you play. Also no flood, at least you shouldn't be one.

Anyone disagree with the choice of races?

Slightly. But it's not so much a disagreement as a question that I'm actually hoping you can provide an answer to that would allow us to keep the races in question.

The Flood. Any individual Flood form that is not a Gravemind isn't sentient, is it?

Also, Hunters. They're just not that smart. Even as a colony of big worms that operate as a single hulking behemoth, they're like unguided missiles that still need to be pointed in the right direction.

And Engineers. They're not dumb, but they're pacifists by nature and their two uses in battle are as moving shield-generators and suicide-bombers. Not useful as a player character, imo.

So my question is: How? =I

i like my idea the best having the two sides against each other and you picking a faction and helping you side ( humanity or covenant)

By nature, people usually do like their own ideas best. =x

And it is a good idea, but let's not forsake other ideas just because. xP

So my question is: How? =I

You bring up an excellent point with the flood. Not necessary. Awesome, but unnecessary. As for the Hunters, they are walking tanks. In an MMO, they would be useful in a clan/guild/squad for "Breaking and Entering". The engineers could be excellent medics for the team as well. So, in short, how is simple. If it's an MMO (Which would be awesome, but the idea was cancelled), then use them to your advantage. If it's not (played more like Elder Scrolls or Fallout), then they could and probably should be taken out.

You bring up an excellent point with the flood. Not necessary. Awesome, but unnecessary. As for the Hunters, they are walking tanks. In an MMO, they would be useful in a clan/guild/squad for "Breaking and Entering". The engineers could be excellent medics for the team as well. So, in short, how is simple. If it's an MMO (Which would be awesome, but the idea was cancelled), then use them to your advantage. If it's not (played more like Elder Scrolls or Fallout), then they could and probably should be taken out.

Alright, Mr. Z. But what about using Engineers as Controllers instead of Healers? Or maybe as a separate skill-tree sort of thing?

Just now thinking about what equipment upgrades might be made available to Hunter characters. Armor improvements, sure, but how about their primary weapon? Fuel Rod launcher arm from H:CE to the Plasma Hose arm from H3? Hmm... Got myself thinking now. I should cut it out.

And Engineers. They're not dumb, but they're pacifists by nature and their two uses in battle are as moving shield-generators and suicide-bombers. Not useful as a player character, imo.

maybe the engineers can be like a pet that you can unlock and they give you shields or heals you or some kind of support?

Slaves or not, Mr Muffins, there they are (or were) in the tight grip of the Covenant. Sure, some Huragok are a bit free-willed compared to others and might not always do what their masters want them to do (as seen in H3: ODST). But most of them do (or did). You know? And while that might not sound much different from what the lesser Flood forms do for the Gravemind, the difference is sentience and intelligence.

On the other hand, a Huragok under the rule of the Covenant is little more than a tool. That said, it would be great to have one as a pet or minion. =o

Edit: You read my mind, V. =o

Edited by Father Bullet

I think you guys are underestimating the engineers. They have a high level of intelligence, so they would be great for hacking into computers or the like, and they can increase the entire squad's health and make them invincible. If any of you have gone on raids in WoW, or decided to fight the black dragon in runescape, you know that invincibility is very useful. As for the computers, they could be useful for disabling turrets, unlocking/locking electronic doors... Its like being a moving A.I. Plus, who is to stop them from using guns? I'd rather be an engineer than a hunter, to be honest...

As for the hunter question; in a lot of RPGs (most as far as I know), you can change between weapons (spells, equipment, all depends on which RPG your playing). So, why not have both weapons available, like in Halo Wars. Beams and bullets.

Just pointing those two things out.

You're not wrong, Mr. Z. I understand where you're coming from perfectly, having played MMO's since the late 90's myself. In theory, the abilities of Huragok and Mgalekgolo are great and awe-inspiring, if not downright terrifying.

Glad to say I did some research on Hunters. I was mistaken in identifying them as dumb. Apparently they're actually pretty intelligent. Their only real drawback is their tendency to rage over the death of their "bond-brother".

So I guess I no longer have any concern over whether they would be suitable player-characters. Just curious about their abilities now.

Perhaps a "Taunt" of sorts to increase the aggro against them. Something like a warning-shot, or a ferocious roar? Maybe a stom—Nooo, wait. Let's use a stomp for something else.

How about an AoE stun that staggers nearby characters, friend and foe alike? Could be a big stomp that could knock lesser characters on their backsides.

Shield bash, anyone? Coming from one of these mothers it'd be like getting hit by a freight-train.

Shield sweep to knock back multiple targets.

And many more!

But one drawback might be the typical Mgalekgolo obliviousness to his allies and no notion of "friendly fire".

Anybody got any other ideas to add?