Should 343 introduce a punishment for quitting during a game??

ProudDrunkIrish

Well as the title says I would like to hear peoples opinion on this topic..

My own personal opinion is that their should be some sort of punishment for quitting out of games mid game. I bring this subject up for a couple of reasons, but mainly I feel the people quitting games is causing the 'join in progress' system to occur too often turning it from a good thing to a bad thing. If less people quit then there would be less join in progress occurring.

Now with the current system the only things i can really think of are

1. negative xp say 2k lost from your pregame xp, this however will not really matter as everyone gets up to SR 130 so in the long run will probably be no use.
  2. If you quit x number of games in x period you get banned from H4 online for x time (I think this existed in reach)

Now beyond this and without say a true ranking system that can get hurt by quitting I have no real other options.

Let us know opinions and options if ye have them

• Like 2

This works in theory, but in practice it just fails. Bungie tried to implement a system and it didn't work.

Make the penalty too shallow and nobody cares. Make the penalty too steep, and people who have to leave for legitimate reasons will complain.

Basically, people will always leave the games early. When you're pissed, you're pissed, and the penalty doesn't really matter to people. This is why the Join In Progress system is here. It helps balance it out. I know there's flaws in the system, but they can be worked on.

• Like 2

For me I don't care if they don't care, I want a penalty in place. Specifically I think quitting a game should be -2500 to -3000 experience. I think it should be capable of dropping your level if you happen to be that close to the beginning of your level, and I think it should be possible for you to lose what you unlocked that level.

The point is to punish habitual quitters. Penalties DO add up. Someone who quits only every 100 games or so isn't going to care, but someone who quits every other game will. Eventually you're going to lose things that you're using in the game, like a specialization perk or a weapon you unlocked. Someone who quits only rarely isn't the person we're talking about, we're talking about people who quit noticable percentages of the games they begin.

No cos half the games you get thrown into are laggy so you need to quit for obvious reasons, and banning someone to leave in search of a better connection cos 343 don't even know how to program a good connection searching option will result in more people leaving this game for things like blops 2 when the population is already dwindling.

• Like 1

If they didn't have such a terribad search matrix, you wouldn't see so many quits. Also, this hidden skill system search is terribad as well. Personally, I don't understand how you can have players from 8 different countries in the same game. That's just blatant laziness in the development of their searching system. I quit all the time when I get put into games with terribad host. I never have and never will stay in a game to get my head ripped off by someone eating shots like fat kids eat candy, forget about it. They have work to do on their end 1st before they can even think about implementing penalties.

• Like 3

why punish? i mean i quit for 3 reasons. get put into a match that my team is getting destroyed. getting really pissed off(getting a mantis and gets destroyed by teammates) last when i am looking at my last matches stats and they throw me into a game that fast and its a crappy map. maybe not be good reasons for you but its great reasons for me. and not only that i have had the game lag out at least 50 times so the system would be garbage

• Like 1

xp penalties for quitting games wouldnt be a good idea, because people who do have to leave for a valid reason (like mom calling or you have somewhere to be ect..) that would really piss people off. or even if for some reason you have a bad connection and you get disconnected from time to time.. that system could cause the game to lose alot of true gamers and halo fans

If you have a good reason, I'm not talking about you. No one who talks about a quit penalty is talking about you. If you have a good reason, you aren't the problem. I'm talking about people who quit often, those mofos need to be penalized, and it WILL dissuade them the first time they lose something. The WILL lose something, because I'm talking about the type of people who quit enough games to lose stuff.

If you leave for a legit reason you won't be penalized that often so you will barely notice.

If you leave because you're a lousy teammate who doesn't believe in putting in the effort to turn a game around, then you deserve a penalty.

If you leave because your spree ended and you're too much of a child to respawn and go back at it, then you deserve a penalty.

Even if you don't deserve a penalty, you certainly don't deserve any rewards, and the only way to take those away is with penalties.

If you leave because your teammates are betraying, try first to boot some, then leave because you aren't going to suffer that penalty that often. Most players shoot at the enemy, thus most games are full of teammates who want to shoot the other guy.

If you leave often because you get pulled away from the game maybe before you start searching for that game you should ask yourself if you have time to complete a game (2ish minutes of search time + 8-10 minutes of game time).

I've quit games before, not very often but I've done it, and I did it before I knew there was no penalty. To rephrase: I quit even though I believed I would be penalized. That's fair, because players who don't quit much can absorb the penalty.

• Like 2

This is a terrible idea, i do not want to be 'punished' for quitting a game when it isnt actually my fault that it is lagging or JiP put me in a game where we are losing 800 - 300.

according to my service record i have played 569 games and quit 106 of them, either for the reasons above or i had to go, wasnt having fun etc etc, do these stats warrent me a ban?

I thought the purpose of JiP was to negate the quitters anyway?

• Like 1

This is a terrible idea, i do not want to be 'punished' for quitting a game when it isnt actually my fault that it is lagging or JiP put me in a game where we are losing 800 - 300.

according to my service record i have played 569 games and quit 106 of them, either for the reasons above or i had to go, wasnt having fun etc etc, do these stats warrent me a ban?

I never said you should be banned.

As for quitting when you're not having fun, how much fun do you think it is for your teammates once you leave them a man down?

You may say "not my problem" and that's fine, but I'd like you to be 3000 experience poorer due to your decision. You probably won't even notice. If you do notice, maybe next time you'll stick it out and find yourself glad you did. If you're quitting 106 out of 569 games due to lag, you might want to find a way to improve your connection, because that's ridiculous.

The real purpose of JIP is to shorten Matchmaking times. Some fool bean counter was slithering around 343i's offices saying stupid things like "Players want to play play play! Anything that stops them from playing is bad! 30 seconds at the end of a losing game is better than 30 seconds in the lobby. Play play play!"

However some people like me are willing to pretend that 343i wasn't that stupid and so we say things like "JIP is meant to bolster the numbers of an outnumbered team" even though JIP exists in FFA where there are no outnumbered teams. 343 WAS that stupid though, and now I'm complaining because their game is designed to cater to children who want medals for everything and don't see the point in finishing games.

The game is rated Mature, I want mature players, and if they aren't mature enough to finish the game I want them to see a penalty so that maybe they'll grow up a little. Want to keep acting like a child and quitting games? Quit playing mature games, they're for players 17 and older. Want to be treated like an adult? Then act like one and finish what you start.

I feel like I'm telling kids they can't have dessert if they don't eat their vegetables. If you don't finish the game, you don't get prizes. The only way to take away prizes is to take away experience, so that's what you get for quitting games.

Take as much experience as you want, it won't stop me from quitting. A ban was implemented in reach, which was a total failure. Treyarch tried the same thing, and it was also a failure. Putting in a penalty doesn't stop quitters, just like having laws doesn't stop criminals from breaking them. People will do exactly what they want to do. You would have to have very very strict penalties for it to have any effect whatsoever. All these penalties would do is hurt the playing population because people who feel there reason for quitting is legitimate and if they aren't allowed to quit without penalty, they just won't play the game.

Take as much experience as you want, it won't stop me from quitting. A ban was implemented in reach, which was a total failure. Treyarch tried the same thing, and it was also a failure. Putting in a penalty doesn't stop quitters, just like having laws doesn't stop criminals from breaking them. People will do exactly what they want to do. You would have to have very very strict penalties for it to have any effect whatsoever. All these penalties would do is hurt the playing population because people who feel there reason for quitting is legitimate and if they aren't allowed to quit without penalty, they just won't play the game.

The idea that it won't stop them doesn't stop me from wanting it penalized. Quit all you like, I never said I want to make it impossible to quit.

And FYI, punishments for breaking the law DO deter criminals, just not all of them. Pointing out the people who don't care and saying "look, they live free of guilt!" doesn't make the laws pointless.

Also I doubt it will hurt the player population, and if it does, to hell with those players. I don't want to play with anyone who behaves like an infant. They bought the game, 343 got the money out of them, good riddance. Sometimes you have to act like an adult, which isn't that fun, to improve the overall fun had by everyone. You suffer a moment, but overall you get a better community. That's what I want. I want players who give a $#!T about having fun AND making sure their teammates have fun. I want mature gamers to be the ones playing Mature games.

To hell with all the useless idiots who feel like they should get to do whatever they want, good multiplayer games don't work like that. BAD multiplayer games work like that. Good multiplayer games create an environment where everyone has a fair shot. "Multi" means many, more, multiple, as in someone other than you is playing this game too.

JIP means you can quit a game and someone else will likely fill your spot, but it doesn't mean your team will be at full strength the full game. It means you're going to cripple your team for a minute or two and hope they make it out OK.

People will quit regardless of the consequences. I quit when I get put into a game that is minutes from being over and my team is being demolished. Like for instance getting put into a game of Dominion with 2 minutes left and my team has 140 while the other team is sitting at 370, I already know there's no way I can help my team make a come back so why sit through beat and go search for another game. Also lag is a big factor. Had a game of Dominion and shot an enemy in the head 3 times with a sniper doing no damage while he puts BR shots into me doing damage.

And sometimes people have to quit for a reason. I've had to quit quite a lot because of family issues. Even had connection issue sometimes which is something a lot of people can't control. JIP was implemented to alleviate this problem.

Let's look at this another way shall we?

You are building a team. Select up to 8 players to be on the team from the list below.

You get to see the percentage of games they quit, but that's all you get to see. You need to pick at least 4 players because that's the smallest team size possible in the current Halo 4 playlists.

Player 1 has failed to complete 6.85% of the games they've played

Player 2 has failed to complete 14.55% of the games they've played

Player 3 has failed to complete 2.42% of the games they've played

Player 4 has failed to complete 15.41% of the games they've played

Player 5 has failed to complete 19.63% of the games they've played

Player 6 has failed to complete 52.53% of the games they've played

Player 7 has failed to complete 21.53% of the games they've played

Player 8 has failed to complete 24.56% of the games they've played

Player 9 has failed to complete 18.62% of the games they've played

Player 10 has failed to complete 27.07% of the games they've played

Player 11 has failed to complete 17.09% of the games they've played

Who do you want on your team? Who do you want playing a game you design and publish? Who do you think makes matchmaking better?

I never said you should be banned.

As for quitting when you're not having fun, how much fun do you think it is for your teammates once you leave them a man down?

You may say "not my problem" and that's fine, but I'd like you to be 3000 experience poorer due to your decision. You probably won't even notice. If you do notice, maybe next time you'll stick it out and find yourself glad you did. If you're quitting 106 out of 569 games due to lag, you might want to find a way to improve your connection, because that's ridiculous.

The real purpose of JIP is to shorten Matchmaking times. Some fool bean counter was slithering around 343i's offices saying stupid things like "Players want to play play play! Anything that stops them from playing is bad! 30 seconds at the end of a losing game is better than 30 seconds in the lobby. Play play play!"

However some people like me are willing to pretend that 343i wasn't that stupid and so we say things like "JIP is meant to bolster the numbers of an outnumbered team" even though JIP exists in FFA where there are no outnumbered teams. 343 WAS that stupid though, and now I'm complaining because their game is designed to cater to children who want medals for everything and don't see the point in finishing games.

The game is rated Mature, I want mature players, and if they aren't mature enough to finish the game I want them to see a penalty so that maybe they'll grow up a little. Want to keep acting like a child and quitting games? Quit playing mature games, they're for players 17 and older. Want to be treated like an adult? Then act like one and finish what you start.

I feel like I'm telling kids they can't have dessert if they don't eat their vegetables. If you don't finish the game, you don't get prizes. The only way to take away prizes is to take away experience, so that's what you get for quitting games.

Erm, i never said i should be banned either? you know you cant validate your argument/suggestion by putting words in my mouth

Well, sorry but i am not spending £40.00 on a game to not enjoy it because other people need me to have a bad game so that they can enjoy it lol, i mean come on, your asking a bit too much.

I am a mature player, just because i dont agree with you, you are assuming that i am under the age of 17 lol. Also the way you say finish what you start, come on dude, its not like you are quitting a job because of a hard day or leaving college because you cant be bothered.

Get a grip and maybe we can all expect a more mature reply from yourself?

I bolded the part where you mentioned banning.

Kindly remember what you've said or at least think about it enough so that you don't need someone else to show you the text.

I don't think Halo is like a job and I don't think you should do things in the game that you aren't enjoying. It's a game, it's supposed to be fun.

I DO think you should quit less often because if you're on a team then you're letting them down. I think you should try to win the games you play because generally winning means you're good at a game and being good at a game is more fun than not being good at a game. Sometimes games are hopeless, I get that, but imagine how much more helpless they get for the teammates who don't quit when their teammates are just abandoning them.

Turning a game around when you're doing poorly is an awesome feeling. Next time you want to quit because there's a good chance you'll lose, trying sticking it out and doing your best instead. If you end the game and say "Man I wish I had quit that game" then by all means keep quitting games, there's no penalty for it right now anyway.

However don't pretend quitting doesn't hurt your team, and please don't act like it makes no difference at all. Matchmaking is better when players finish their games, because that means that players are doing their best. The game is more fun when players finish their games. This is the Matchmaking section of the forum, quitting makes Matchmaking worse, so discouraging it would make Matchmaking better.

Losing sucks, I get it, I know, but if you just withstand the unpleasantness of making it to the end of a losing game you'll find overall the quality of games will improve.

Kindly remember what you've said or at least think about it enough so that you don't need someone else to show you the text.

I don't think Halo is like a job and I don't think you should do things in the game that you aren't enjoying. It's a game, it's supposed to be fun.

I DO think you should quit less often because if you're on a team then you're letting them down. I think you should try to win the games you play because generally winning means you're good at a game and being good at a game is more fun than not being good at a game. Sometimes games are hopeless, I get that, but imagine how much more helpless they get for the teammates who don't quit when their teammates are just abandoning them.

Turning a game around when you're doing poorly is an awesome feeling. Next time you want to quit because there's a good chance you'll lose, trying sticking it out and doing your best instead. If you end the game and say "Man I wish I had quit that game" then by all means keep quitting games, there's no penalty for it right now anyway.

However don't pretend quitting doesn't hurt your team, and please don't act like it makes no difference at all. Matchmaking is better when players finish their games, because that means that players are doing their best. The game is more fun when players finish their games. This is the Matchmaking section of the forum, quitting makes Matchmaking worse, so discouraging it would make Matchmaking better.

Losing sucks, I get it, I know, but if you just withstand the unpleasantness of making it to the end of a losing game you'll find overall the quality of games will improve.

yeah i will give you the part about getting banned, my bad. i honestly thought i didnt type it.

i can see where you are coming from regarding finishing the matches, i just think it is wrong to implement punishments other than xp penalty because that doesnt hurt anyone.

i dont quit because i am bad at the game, i quit because i am not having fun, its lagging, phone goes, family come round etc etc.

i think 343i discouraged matchmaking enough already lol.

just so you know, this isnt a personal attack either just something i feel strongly about. ever since reach they have added things which i feel have hindered the games progress and overall achievements.

• Like 1

I don't care how often a player quits his games or finishes them. If I have garbage team mates and not matter how hard I try to carry them we will still lose because they can't even win a 2v1 fire fight then I'm gonna quit. I've had plenty of games in SWAT where I break 20 kills and the other 3 people on my team haven't even broke 10. No matter how hard I try we will still lose. So why continue to waste my time? I'd rather quit and search for a better game then sit through a game that I'm destined to lose. If I have BK team mates that aren't doing anything then I'm going to quit. They don't wanna step their game up and contribute then to hell with them

You are the exact type of person who needs to be punished lol, The idea of quitting to save some random stats is so sad its hard to believe!!! So the excuse ''oh I was put into a game on the losing team'' or ''my team were gettin owned'' are not excuses for quitting.

I have quit probably a dozen games in all, most of these due to food arriving at the door. The JIP system is there to help keep teams full but is not an excuse for you to quit. When you quit you can cause the entire game to stall for all players and you leave your team a man down for a while which is not fair on anyone.

On consideration he points loss thing will not work due to the low cap at SR130, so it has to be a banning system.. For example:

• A player quits 5 games in 12hrs they are banned for 30mins after the 5th quit
  • A player quits 8 games in 24hrs they are banned for 1hr after the 8th quit
  • A player quits 11 games in 24hrs they are banned for 2hr after the 11th quit etc.....

A repeat offender who gets say 4 x bans in a 7 day period gets banned for 24hrs so on and so on.

These figures above are just to give an example of what couls be put in place the amount of quits or times for banning can be changed but if this existed then people would have to play.

YOU ALL NEED TO LEARN ITS A GAME, BEYOND LAG THERE IS NO GOOD REASON FOR ANYONE TO QUIT. IF YOUR BEING BEATEN THEY ARE BETTER SO TIME FOR YOU TO IMPROVE.

just so you know, this isnt a personal attack either just something i feel strongly about. ever since reach they have added things which i feel have hindered the games progress and overall achievements.

I understand, and I agree to an extent, but I feel like part of making matchmaking better is discouraging behavior that makes it worse. Betrayal booting is a good example, that's a good thing. It is a punishment, but man am I glad it's possible.

Quitting isn't that severe and I don't think the punishment for it should be that severe, but I DO think there should be a punishment for it. I think -3000 exp is a fair punishment, because that's about what you get for completing a game normally. I also think that if you happen to have gained a level recently and 3000 exp will drop you that level, that's fair. It's easy enough to gain back by finishing a game. If it costs you an unlock, that's fair because you can gain it back by finishing a game.

• Like 1

You are the exact type of person who needs to be punished lol, The idea of quitting to save some random stats is so sad its hard to believe!!! So the excuse ''oh I was put into a game on the losing team'' or ''my team were gettin owned'' are not excuses for quitting.

I have quit probably a dozen games in all, most of these due to food arriving at the door. The JIP system is there to help keep teams full but is not an excuse for you to quit. When you quit you can cause the entire game to stall for all players and you leave your team a man down for a while which is not fair on anyone.

On consideration he points loss thing will not work due to the low cap at SR130, so it has to be a banning system.. For example:

• A player quits 5 games in 12hrs they are banned for 30mins after the 5th quit
  • A player quits 8 games in 24hrs they are banned for 1hr after the 10th quit
  • A player quits 11 games in 24hrs they are banned for 2hr after the 15th quit etc.....

A repeat offender who gets say 4 x bans in a 7 day period gets banned for 24hrs so on and so on.

These figures above are just to give an example of what couls be put in place the amount of quits or times for banning can be changed but if this existed then people would have to play.

YOU ALL NEED TO LEARN ITS A GAME, BEYOND LAG THERE IS NO GOOD REASON FOR ANYONE TO QUIT. IF YOUR BEING BEATEN THEY ARE BETTER SO TIME FOR YOU TO IMPROVE.

Thanks for your input however your input is invalid.

but really, i dont stat pad, bottom line is, if i am not enjoying it i am not going to play,

if you want to force yourself to stay in a game which you know you are going to lose, be my guest, the JiP will suck someone in anyway.

Good luck and have fun i guess.......

Thanks for your input however your input is invalid.

but really, i dont stat pad, bottom line is, if i am not enjoying it i am not going to play,

if you want to force yourself to stay in a game which you know you are going to lose, be my guest, the JiP will suck someone in anyway.

Good luck and have fun i guess.......

Wow you must be the god of validiy so.. what does our team mates being bad have to do with having fun??? actually what does winning or losing have to do with having fun???? I have fun win or lose as do most people, this is a game and there is little or no difference between winning and losing except a stat.

Nobody including myself forces me to stay in games where my team are bad infact its quite fun as you are challenged way more, it kinds brings me back to days of competitive Halo.. I played 6 BTB rounds this morn where my team lost them all, I was top killer on my team each ound by at least twice the next guy and I was having great fun. Nothing better than the word KILLJOY coming on screen.

Your arguments for quitting are invalid as they are selfish sad stat saving excuses.. If you do not quit much then the system of banning would not affect you. Stop trolling and let the topic be discussed.

I don't care how often a player quits his games or finishes them. If I have garbage team mates and not matter how hard I try to carry them we will still lose because they can't even win a 2v1 fire fight then I'm gonna quit. I've had plenty of games in SWAT where I break 20 kills and the other 3 people on my team haven't even broke 10. No matter how hard I try we will still lose. So why continue to waste my time? I'd rather quit and search for a better game then sit through a game that I'm destined to lose. If I have BK team mates that aren't doing anything then I'm going to quit. They don't wanna step their game up and contribute then to hell with them

How can you expect randoms to step up to the plate when you yourself are unwilling to do so?

I watched a video awhile ago where a guy gave tips on how to play better with randoms. The scenario he discussed was one where players, uncomfortable with randoms, would basically try to do everything themselves and inevitably fail. The solution he presented was basically to trust your randoms and focus on doing one job correctly, because then your randoms see you're doing the job correctly and they relax and hopefully do theirs better.

It's not perfectly successful, but the lesson is simple: Be reliable if you want other people to be. You're in a community that thinks it's OK to quit games often, so instead of trying to make things better by finishing games you join the quitters and give up. You're adding to the problem, and it IS a problem.

If your randoms see you doing your best and being reliable, maybe they'll think "I need to catch up because this guy is carrying us." More likely they won't even notice and they'll continue to do awful, but what if they do? Do you want to be the guy that inspired his randoms to do their jobs or are you happy being another quitter?

Also I guess no one is going to pick players to play my little fantasy football/Halo team game I posted above are they? Damn, I put some work into that thing! It was going to be briliant....