My Lone Wolf experiment

LiQuid BioniX

So I decided to do a little bit of an experiment, both to test my skills and to get a general feel of Halo 4 as a single player would. I went on a bit of a quest to play ten games of Infinity Slayer with randoms, no microphone in. I wanted to see how well I could do both in Win/Loss ratios, and Kill/Death ratios. I wanted to compile some stats on everything. It made it much more difficult to not fully trust your teammates and to have no communication with them, but it was an interesting little experiment. It’s important to note that I did not switch lobbies in between matches, as long as there was good connection. If there was lag, I backed out. Here are my results!

A quick note here: I am not in any way great at this game. I've played enough Halo to be good, not great. I would consider myself a slightly above-average player. Keep that in mind as you read.

Game 1: Eh. I did fairly sub-par on this one, though I’m going to chalk it up to the fact that this was my first game of the day. The teammates were fine, though it was on Adrift which is a map which I can enjoy but I still don’t usually do well on.

Kills: 16

Assists: 5

Deaths: 12

Medals: 27

Notable Medals: None

Total Score: 215

Game Score: 570 - 600

Loss

Game 2: Much better. Played on Complex, which can be rough, but I did much better than before. Vehicles are very annoying.

Kills: 19

Assists: 2

Deaths: 9

Medals: 32

Notable Medals: Overkill

Total Score: 260

Game Score: 600 - 370

Win

Game 3: Adrift again. Dang. I started out really, really slow but about 40 kills in I finally found some footing and got a bunch of kills very quickly. I got the last kill, and that put me in first place overall.

Assists: 1

Deaths: 16

Medals: 29

Total Score: 245

Game Score: 600 -420

Win

Game 4: Haven. I usually love this map, but I got spawn killed a ton this time, which usually doesn’t happen. My teammates weren’t very supportive either, it was a lot of run into the middle and die. Two of them went -8.

Kills: 12

Assists: 3

Deaths: 8

Medals: 17

Total Score: 145

Game Score:

Loss

Game 5: Haven. Could have been better. I performed well, though I choked a bit at the end. All in all, it was a good match though. We played pretty tightly.

Kills: 17

Assists: 2

Deaths: 11

Medals: 30

Notable Medals: Killing Spree

Total Score: 235

Game Score: 600 - 540

Win

Game 6: Another case of me playing well, but my teammates not quite so much. It was a bit better than the last couple of times and ended close. I’m getting the idea that microphones are becoming necessary here.

Assists: 1

Deaths: 15

Medals: 31

Notable Medals: Triple Kill

Total Score: 250

Game Score: 600 - 510

Loss

Game 7: Adrift. Not my best map, but I absolutely dominated this game, yet my teammates seriously dropped the ball for most of the match. I definitely carried the team on this one.

Kills: 22

Medals: 38

Total Score: 300

Game Score: 600 - 550

Win

Game 8: Haven. I started this one out really strong, and started to taper off at the end. Luckily, my teammates picked up the slack right at the end and we squeaked out a win by one kill.

Kills: 16

Assists: 0

Deaths: 9

Medals: 23

Total Score: 195

Game Score: 600 - 590

Win

Game 9: Again, I seemed to be the frontrunner here, though I had one more teammate who played fairly solidly. This game got extremely laggy towards the end, and was almost unplayable for the last two kills

Kills: 15

Medals: 22

Notable Medals: Triple Kill

Total Score: 185

Game Score: 600 - 430

Win

Game 10: I ended the game on a great, great game. My team only had three people, so that made it tough, plus some connectivity issues. All in all though, I had a really strong ending to my little experiment

Kills: 22

Deaths: 8

Medals: 47

Notable Medals: Killtacular

Total Score: 350

Game Score: 600 - 550

Loss

So what did I learn? I did not come into this perporting to be some kind of MLG pro, or anything close. I’m a lifelong Halo player and I love the game. I’ve put enough time into it to be good, not great, and I’m happy with that. But I also want to continuously improve my game. I learned the value of communication and also the value of having a full team who you can trust not to choke even when you do. My total stats were:

Total Kills: 177

Total Assists: 17

Total Deaths: 117

Kill/Death Ratio: 1.51

Total Score: 2380

Score per match: 238

Most Notable Medal: Killtacular

Games Won: 6

Games Lost: 4

Win/Loss Ratio: 1.5 (60% of the time it is a win)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

• Like 1

I'm clearly playing this game wrong; I rarely get multikills. You know how people talk about "adapt or die?" I haven't adapted to anything since Halo 3. Not an adaptable player over here.

I'm not saying one way or another, but honestly this system is broken a little bit. I'm fine with instant respawn and the extended multikill timer, whatever, but I would get two kills, die, then get another two quick kills (after I am dead, mind you) and get the Overkill instead of two Double kils.

I like having the option to respawn instantly, I don't like the longer multikill timer though. It's one of the many things that changed and I couldn't think of a single good reason why it should have. Giving someone another half-second while everything else is sped up (kill times are faster, people come back to life and return to combat faster) just felt like them making things much easier on us. It doesn't feel right when someone tells me I don't need to work so hard anymore; it feels like a trap.

That being said I'm glad you got your multikills and had a good time doing it (I assume). I just don't get multikills that often. I might get a double kill every other game. I just keep failing to "get it" in Halo anymore. I didn't really ever get a good feel for Reach, and in Halo 4 people are excelling all around me and I have no idea how. I don't mind being average at something, but I do wish I understood why.

• Like 1

Dang. Do you normally finish a game with an Overkill? I usually get a Double Kill per game or every other game, plus the occasional Triple Kill. I've only made one Overkill in Halo 4 so far.

Yeah, I'm not quite sure how I do it, to be honest. I'm a really streaky player. I'll do really badly at the beginning of the game, but just destroy at the end, or vise versa. That usually results in a fairly hight multikill for me. I think these ten games don't exactly represent the amount of multikills that I get though, because this is more than I usually get. I must have gotten lucky...

Interesting idea to make a record public like this - seems like you played really well, too! I'd love to see your stats when playing with a full party, it'd be interesting to see just how much that affects the results.

Thanks! I'm really, really not a fantastic player, but I usually do fairly well.

And yeah, playing with a party is the next logical step in this experiment I think.