Boltshot Discusion in Commentary

xSwAyZeyx

Sorry man, gotta disagree with your opinion on the boltshot. It IS a 1 shot kill weapon and like the rest of those, it should be relegated to ordinance drops.

First off, the Boltshot is a one-shot shield drop 99% of the time. Second, the only way it's effective at all is if you charge it. If you just fire primary fire, you have to land every shot to take their shields down. Also, it's only effective just outside of melee range. And I can guarantee you if the Boltshot becomes an ordinance drop, it will never get selected. Ever.

First off, the Boltshot is a one-shot shield drop 99% of the time. Second, the only way it's effective at all is if you charge it. If you just fire primary fire, you have to land every shot to take their shields down. Also, it's only effective just outside of melee range. And I can guarantee you if the Boltshot becomes an ordinance drop, it will never get selected. Ever.

My point is simple, it's a 1 shot kill weapon. Those are also known as POWER WEAPONS and relegated to the ordinance drops. What is your point?

• Like 1

It's not though! In my experience, an overcharge of the Boltshot takes down shield. This is exactly the same as the Plasma Pistol, yet no one brings anything up about it.

Dont use that "Just like the Plasma Pistol" Bullcrap excuse.

1.Plasma Pistol takes longer to charge.

2.Plasma Pistol overheats after fireing Charged Bolt (must cool down before attacking)

3. The Plasma Bolt is much slower

4. Plasma Pistol dosent 1SK at Shotgun Range

5.Plasma Pistol isnt used to the point of makeing others rage

6.The only diffrence between the Ordinance Shotguns and the Boltshot is, you spawn with the boltshot

7.STOP USING THIS EXCUSE

Anyways, the way i feel about the Boltshot is: It gives the player a Unfair Advantage, you can 1sk at close range, just like the Shotgun, and if they dont kill you, your sheilds are taken down, allowing them to instantly Melee right when they fire(Might be a glitch, but ive seen it happen to me multiple times) killing the victim instantly.

Also people who use the boltshot not only camp corners, but even Run n Gun and still 1sk. So you cant just avoid them by "Not falling for there trick" and not going around a corner there camping (Ive heard alot of Boltshot defnders say that, thats how everyone gets killed by them)

• Like 1

ok most people seem to be upset with the boltshot because either the lack the skill required to play halo or the lack the intellect to realize that charging into melee range is rather stupid when all loadouts feature a longer range weapon. infact if you were aware of your surroundings like most players are then you would not be able to be killed by the boltshot. this is why there are armor abilites like promethian vision.

the person above me points out exactly why the argument against the boltshot is idiotic, i will counter his points

1. why the hell are you at close range without a melee power weapon anyways? if your that stupid you really deserve to be shot.

2. if their close enough to melee you then your still a idiot for getting that close

3. you cant complain about corner campers with you have the ability to find them, i.e. promethian vision

4. even run and gun boltshot users die 9/10 times as their running at someone with a long range weapon while holding a close range one that needs to be charged first. if their target is NOT retarded then the boltshot user will die every time

and i want to point out that onlybigjim's ignorant comment of "The only diffrence between the Ordinance Shotguns and the Boltshot is, you spawn with the boltshot" is the stupidest thing i have heard all day. you can fire a shotgun fast enough to miss twice and still kill them. the boltshot requires a charge up time, which means you must have already picked a target and predicted their movement. then if you miss you have a cool down time while the enemy kills you. its a all or nothing weapon. and NOTHING LIKE THE SHOTGUN.

so my main point is people need to stop charging the enemy then coming on here and complaining when their idiocy gets them killed

• Like 3

ok most people seem to be upset with the boltshot because either the lack the skill required to play halo or the lack the intellect to realize that charging into melee range is rather stupid when all loadouts feature a longer range weapon. infact if you were aware of your surroundings like most players are then you would not be able to be killed by the boltshot. this is why there are armor abilites like promethian vision.

the person above me points out exactly why the argument against the boltshot is idiotic, i will counter his points

1. why the hell are you at close range without a melee power weapon anyways? if your that stupid you really deserve to be shot.

2. if their close enough to melee you then your still a idiot for getting that close

3. you cant complain about corner campers with you have the ability to find them, i.e. promethian vision

4. even run and gun boltshot users die 9/10 times as their running at someone with a long range weapon while holding a close range one that needs to be charged first. if their target is NOT retarded then the boltshot user will die every time

and i want to point out that onlybigjim's ignorant comment of "The only diffrence between the Ordinance Shotguns and the Boltshot is, you spawn with the boltshot" is the stupidest thing i have heard all day. you can fire a shotgun fast enough to miss twice and still kill them. the boltshot requires a charge up time, which means you must have already picked a target and predicted their movement. then if you miss you have a cool down time while the enemy kills you. its a all or nothing weapon. and NOTHING LIKE THE SHOTGUN.

so my main point is people need to stop charging the enemy then coming on here and complaining when their idiocy gets them killed

Watch out everyone! We got a Hardass over here!!

First of all, dont call me "Ignorant" and such, you havent a clue of what you are talking about. For example: I dont run around with just a DMR and Pistol, i use a DMR and Assult RIfle. I like to charge into battle with the Assult rifle when possible, but i can switch to the DMR if i need to kill a enemy at a range. Unless ive been playing halo incorrectly all my life and never found out im supposed to use the assult rifle like a Sniper rifle and try and long range people with it.

Also i dont use Promethean Vision, i got better things to use, like Regeneration Feild, and Auto-Sentry.

On the comment of "onlybigjims ignorant comment" thing. No s*%$ sherlock, of course theres more diffrences between the weapons. But, your right the fact that both weapons kill at close range is totaly not simmilar in any way or form...

"My main point here is," Who are you to point your finger, you are obviusly out of your head. So go take a chill pill and stop tossing your damned stones around.

Watch out everyone! We got a Hardass over here!!

First of all, dont call me "Ignorant" and such, you havent a clue of what you are talking about. For example: I dont run around with just a DMR and Pistol, i use a DMR and Assult RIfle. I like to charge into battle with the Assult rifle when possible, but i can switch to the DMR if i need to kill a enemy at a range. Unless ive been playing halo incorrectly all my life and never found out im supposed to use the assult rifle like a Sniper rifle and try and long range people with it.

Also i dont use Promethean Vision, i got better things to use, like Regeneration Feild, and Auto-Sentry.

On the comment of "onlybigjims ignorant comment" thing. No s*%$ sherlock, of course theres more diffrences between the weapons. But, your right the fact that both weapons kill at close range is totaly not simmilar in any way or form...

"My main point here is," Who are you to point your finger, you are obviusly out of your head. So go take a chill pill and stop tossing your damned stones around.

I'm tired of people like you. Nobody has to play according to your playstyle or play in a fashion that you find agreeable. THERE ARE NO ARTIFICIAL RULESETS, THERE ARE NO RULES OF HONOR. You are given a toolset, so are they. If you CHOOSE not to use Promethean Vision, that is your choice. It is there to be used, if you forgoe it for another option then you deal with the issues/consequences it presents.

What I believe it is, is that gamers in general are not very skilled. They don't appreciate the psychology of online shooters, are one dimensional, and feel so entitled that anything that goes against their chosen "playstyle" is overpowered. It is a bunch of nonsense. If you are so predictable that you need someone to explain to you how to not charge in like an idiot, how to be situationally aware etc then you are unskilled as it is.

Everything is not OP, everything does not need to be nerfed. The gun is balanced, it is your lack of skill that is the problem. WHEN DID GAMERS BECOME SUCH SOFT, COMPLAINING ******* MORONS?

Let me clarify.

1. Promethean vision isn't an absolute counter to boltshots, and while it is handy at finding campers, you can't use it all the time on a map with a lot of corners or hiding spots (adrift or solace), and isn't effective on larger maps. Besides, by making the boltshot so strong, it encourages continual camping throghout a game, not only making PV absolutely necessary, but stagnating gameplay.

2. Going into cqc is a good decision depending on what weapon you bring to the table, what weapons you think they have, their shields, and the position you are in. The fact that it beats out the assault rifle, or other primaries at their most effective range is indicative of it being overpowered. Yes, sure, you can adjust your play style accordingly, but that isn't what we're talking about.

3. Power weapons. Guess what, the boltshot has a similar range, and beats the sword and most certainly the hammer in cqc. I wouldn't say it deserves to be an ordanance due to it's limited utility even within its effective range, but when used right, which isn't nearly as hard as it should be, is overpowered for a secondary, or even primary in some circumstances.

• Like 1

The Plasma Pistol is barely any different. Plasma Pistol is always going to take down all shields, and you can charge it as long as you wish. The boltshot doesn't let you hold it down for as long as you wish. It still takes skill to use this weapon. Anyone can fly around and destroy people with a rocket launcher. THAT is a power weapon.

the bolt shot is ridiculous. Remember that brute dual-wielding shotgun in halo 3? they should have made it like that gun, so u have to melee right after to get a kill. Its unfair to have a weapon in your starting loadout capable of getting a 1 shot 1 kill. The gun has more range than the shotgun. Im sick of completely fooling someone, or charging them with a sword and getting shot by that panzy gun.

Saying that the bolt shot isn't much better than Plasma pistol+melle is somewhat laughable. Removing the melle from time to kill makes "power weapons" like the sword and hammer much worse. I don't even get excited when I see a melle weapon on the ground in many games because there is a good chance that even when you set yourself up to get in range with minimal to no harrassment the other side will just beat you with the Bolt shot. While Shotguns are better close up they only rely give you the ability to kill multiple enemies or correct for error as a proper shot with either the bolt shot or shotgun will be a one hit ko.

Let me clarify.

1. Promethean vision isn't an absolute counter to boltshots, and while it is handy at finding campers, you can't use it all the time on a map with a lot of corners or hiding spots (adrift or solace), and isn't effective on larger maps. Besides, by making the boltshot so strong, it encourages continual camping throghout a game, not only making PV absolutely necessary, but stagnating gameplay.

2. Going into cqc is a good decision depending on what weapon you bring to the table, what weapons you think they have, their shields, and the position you are in. The fact that it beats out the assault rifle, or other primaries at their most effective range is indicative of it being overpowered. Yes, sure, you can adjust your play style accordingly, but that isn't what we're talking about.

3. Power weapons. Guess what, the boltshot has a similar range, and beats the sword and most certainly the hammer in cqc. I wouldn't say it deserves to be an ordanance due to it's limited utility even within its effective range, but when used right, which isn't nearly as hard as it should be, is overpowered for a secondary, or even primary in some circumstances.

Entering CQC should only happen under 3 circumstances, 1. An ambush on an unknowing target if you have a melee power weapon, or shotgun class weapon.. 2. An ambush or assasination on a target unaware of your location. 3. A last ditch effort at survival when badly hurt.

If you enter CQC any other time, it is your fault for dying (actually it is always your fault). As I said, clearly many people in this community lack skill. The AR is NOT a close range weapon, it is a close-mid range weapon. Close-mid meaning about 5-7 feet outside of melee range. Any closer and you are entering the OSK range of any shotgun class weapon, OHK of any melee class power weapon, that is your own fault.

Shotguns, the sword, the grav hammer. ALL of these power weapons have a very fast attack animation. The grav hammer and sword having lunge animations. Unless the wielders of the weapons are ambushed (i.e caught unaware) or charge towards a person in the act of charging a Boltshot, they should never lose that encounter. The Boltshot cannot match the range of the shotguns nor their animation speeds, nor the sheer speed and mobility of the sword or hammer. The Boltshot cannot be held down like the PP as it will auto-fire and has a LENGTHY cooldown period. The gun is a one-trick pony, and it is VERY MUCH balanced. This coming from a person that personally is not impressed by it.

Stop rounding corners without coming out wide, and start paying attention before blindly charging someone or assuming a room is empty if you are not sure. This is what I do to great effect, seeing as using Promethean Vision is not even required to deal with Boltshot users. Then again, I am likely more skilled and possess a better understanding of compeitive mindset than either of you.

Many of you guys lack either skill or situational awareness (maybe both), and justly should suffer the consequences of dumb decisions.

• Like 1

Entering CQC should only happen under 3 circumstances, 1. An ambush on an unknowing target if you have a melee power weapon, or shotgun class weapon.. 2. An ambush or assasination on a target unaware of your location. 3. A last ditch effort at survival when badly hurt.

If you enter CQC any other time, it is your fault for dying (actually it is always your fault). As I said, clearly many people in this community lack skill. The AR is NOT a close range weapon, it is a close-mid range weapon. Close-mid meaning about 5-7 feet outside of melee range. Any closer and you are entering the OSK range of any shotgun class weapon, OHK of any melee class power weapon, that is your own fault.

Shotguns, the sword, the grav hammer. ALL of these power weapons have a very fast attack animation. The grav hammer and sword having lunge animations. Unless the wielders of the weapons are ambushed (i.e caught unaware) or charge towards a person in the act of charging a Boltshot, they should never lose that encounter. The Boltshot cannot match the range of the shotguns nor their animation speeds, nor the sheer speed and mobility of the sword or hammer. The Boltshot cannot be held down like the PP as it will auto-fire and has a LENGTHY cooldown period. The gun is a one-trick pony, and it is VERY MUCH balanced. This coming from a person that personally is not impressed by it.

Stop rounding corners without coming out wide, and start paying attention before blindly charging someone or assuming a room is empty if you are not sure. This is what I do to great effect, seeing as using Promethean Vision is not even required to deal with Boltshot users. Then again, I am likely more skilled and possess a better understanding of compeitive mindset than either of you.

Many of you guys lack either skill or situational awareness (maybe both), and justly should suffer the consequences of dumb decisions.

1.You are a Hypocrite: You tell me people dont have to play how i want them to, and yet you are makeing your own rules for CQC and saying everyone should follow them

2.You are VERY arrogant, you dont know my play style, nor my skills. Most of the time i end up carrying my team in Team-Slayer/BTB

3. Sit the **** down and shut the **** up, your makeing yourself look like a idiot. What i mean by this is, you need to stay off the forms, you havent the slights clue of what the hell you are talking about.

1.You are a Hypocrite: You tell me people dont have to play how i want them to, and yet you are makeing your own rules for CQC and saying everyone should follow them

2.You are VERY arrogant, you dont know my play style, nor my skills. Most of the time i end up carrying my team in Team-Slayer/BTB

3. Sit the **** down and shut the **** up, your makeing yourself look like a idiot. What i mean by this is, you need to stay off the forms, you havent the slights clue of what the hell you are talking about.

congrats on securing the position of stupidest person on the forum!

first off regardless of your playstyle a main aspect of them all is to know your playstyle's strengths and what distance its best at. then guess your enemies with the skills avalible to you. if you dont use those skills to determine what a enemy is using then no duh you died.

and your statment of "charge into battle with the assult rifle whenever possible" says that you go right at the enemy without being aware of what their bringing to the table. your problem is not the boltshot being overpowered, cause its not. its your general lack of a smart playstyle.

• Like 1

I'm still a firm believer that the boltshot should only be able to take down a person's shields at close range. While that seems like it'd make it UP, I also believe that the cooldown after shooting should be quicker, allowing you to either melee or get the headshot quicker. Essentialy, it would become a plasma pistol capable of headshots, but only at close range.

• Like 1

congrats on securing the position of stupidest person on the forum!

first off regardless of your playstyle a main aspect of them all is to know your playstyle's strengths and what distance its best at. then guess your enemies with the skills avalible to you. if you dont use those skills to determine what a enemy is using then no duh you died.

and your statment of "charge into battle with the assult rifle whenever possible" says that you go right at the enemy without being aware of what their bringing to the table. your problem is not the boltshot being overpowered, cause its not. its your general lack of a smart playstyle.

Same for you, i dont have a clue of what the hell you are talking about, btw your pretty ******* arrogant. Your implying that I die every time I attack someone wich is very very untrue... Im shure I am Needless to say more