There NEEDS to be a leave penalty... (at least in objective games)

Cortar

Yes, yes, we have this glorious JIP system you say! Well sorry, but in objective games, this doesn't cut it. Especially in dominion where your team can instantly lose the game at any time. At least in objective games, being down a player at any time, for any length of time is very detrimental to your chance of winning.

Also, so many times people just leave when the enemy scores the first flag, or when they get a little bit ahead in oddball or koth, and why not? Theres no reason not to, let some other poor sap have to join and play a losing game.

Nobody likes joining a game that literally ends as soon as you get in. But they can't change this, why? Because then the leaving problem will only get worse. If they make it so that you can't join a losing game, or games over 50% done, then at that point, if their team is losing, even more people will just leave, especially if someone else leaves first.

• Like 2

IDK, the networking is the only reason I leave games but then again I only play slayer games the majority of the time. 1st time someone doesn't die inside of 6 headshots with DMR or BR and I'm outta there lmao. I'm even allowing myself a missed shot there and frankly, I don't miss lol. Same in Swat, more than 2 headbursts and not dead, I'm done. Not taking a k/d hit for crappy networking system.

That being said, when I play objective games, rare as that is, I don't quit regardless of how much I feel like it sometimes. There's always a chance of coming back. There is one exception to this, the stat padding BKs that we all run into from time to time. That's a different issue altogether.

To get to the point though. I'd say that I don't agree with automatically penalizing someone for quitting. Lots of stuff can happen to cause a player to leave. Power outage, someone jumping on a computer in another part of the house, host booting, all kinds of things and yeah, it's happened to me with both the power and someone turning on a computer so hey, it could be that.

What I would suggest instead is this; use the report option. Report them for manipulation and then cheating. Cheating is defined by using means known or unknown to influence the outcome of a game. Leaving certainly falls into this category. Now for the 2nd half of this. If you report someone for cheating, you should save the film clip and we need to have somewhere to send it where it CAN and WILL be reviewed by active Halo4 mods. After reviewing the clips, if the player is determined to be guilty, their H4 MM experience should end immediately until the player has contacted the mod at which point they will be let know for how long their H4 MM experience is taking a break. The player should be given a chance to explain the situation and at that time, the mod will make the final call on duration of suspension or if indeed a suspension is warranted. After all, stuff does happen. There also needs to be a time cutoff on this regarding at what point in the game this happens and that's something you have to take into consideration when you're talking about issuing penalties.

I believe this is certainly a valid issue but in all honesty, penalties should not be handed out without personal interaction. The "models" are not always correct..

My thoughts,

BaD

Nah. I generally stay away from objective games unless I'm playing with a full (or almost full) team of guys that I know won't leave. JIP play is how it needs to be. Bungie tried to eliminate this by enforcing a penalty, but it didn't work and this penalty wouldn't either.

• Like 1

Nah. I generally stay away from objective games unless I'm playing with a full (or almost full) team of guys that I know won't leave. JIP play is how it needs to be. Bungie tried to eliminate this by enforcing a penalty, but it didn't work and this penalty wouldn't either.

So you admit you don't play objective games.... but you think its fine? Thats great... just great.

i leave matches quite often now even though i hated the very idea of it in halo reach. this is simply because if im paying for a good internet connection but im teleporting all over the screen and there is at least a .5 second lag between my input and my actions then its just not worth my time to play the match. so yes i quit. but only for lag related issues. it would be idiotic to add a penalty for quiting before the server issues are fixed, although i would approve of one once we can make sure that there wont be lag in many matches that would affect the overall preformance of the match

Yes, yes, we have this glorious JIP system you say! Well sorry, but in objective games, this doesn't cut it. Especially in dominion where your team can instantly lose the game at any time. At least in objective games, being down a player at any time, for any length of time is very detrimental to your chance of winning.

Also, so many times people just leave when the enemy scores the first flag, or when they get a little bit ahead in oddball or koth, and why not? Theres no reason not to, let some other poor sap have to join and play a losing game.

Nobody likes joining a game that literally ends as soon as you get in. But they can't change this, why? Because then the leaving problem will only get worse. If they make it so that you can't join a losing game, or games over 50% done, then at that point, if their team is losing, even more people will just leave, especially if someone else leaves first.

This thread, AGAIN!!!!

How many times I have to ******* tell you? THERE IS NOT GOING TO BE ANY LEAVER PENATLY! There is a JIP system, you friggin' idiot.

How is it that hard to understand, dumbass?

You are assuming people care about the penalty they will receive.

• Like 2

You are assuming people care about the penalty they will receive.

Which they don't. Bungie found that out the hard way. If you make the penalty too harsh, people get pissed because they need to leave for legitimate reasons. If the penalty is too shallow, it's laughable and no-one cares. I just can't see finding a balance yet.

• Like 1

Which they don't. Bungie found that out the hard way. If you make the penalty too harsh, people get pissed because they need to leave for legitimate reasons. If the penalty is too shallow, it's laughable and no-one cares. I just can't see finding a balance yet.

Exactly. People just have to deal with the randoms they team up with leaving. If they dont like it then get your own team that you are confident wont leave and stop complaining about the randoms.

Exactly. People just have to deal with the randoms they team up with leaving. If they dont like it then get your own team that you are confident wont leave and stop complaining about the randoms.

We shouldn't penalize people for quitting period. There should not be any quitting penalty for any gametype, even if objective games. The JIP system is there for a reason. We don't need a leave penalty.

Get it through your head, Cortar.

Which is exactly what I do (and it's what I was apparently criticized for...) especially for objective games. Get in a group with a few people you know and you'll have a much better time.

We shouldn't penalize people for quitting period. There should not be any quitting penalty for any gametype, even if objective games. The JIP system is there for a reason. We don't need a leave penalty.

Get it through your head, Cortar.

It would be a good idea if you guys actually READ my post before responding. The JIP system doesn't help people in objective games. The system we have now is much worse than the problems the H3 system had. Leavers are much more rampant and objective games are NEVER played like a full game, there is ALWAYS several leavers, which ruins the game for other people (on both teams).

It would be a good idea if you guys actually READ my post before responding. The JIP system doesn't help people in objective games. The system we have now is much worse than the problems the H3 system had. Leavers are much more rampant and objective games are NEVER played like a full game, there is ALWAYS several leavers, which ruins the game for other people (on both teams).

Yes, I did read your post before responding. The JIP system DOES help people in objective games. What you're saying is that people seem to leave so often in objective games, which is totally not true.

Leavers do NOT affect your team nor the other team because of the JIP system (unless there are constantly people leaving in your games). The JIP system (as I told you several times) replaces them so your team be rebalanced. Who cares if there are several people leaving? They'll still be replaced quickly and efficently. The only problem with leavers is that some of them will leave because their favorite map wasn't voted for or they can't deal with the map that gets chosen. But does that mean they should get penalized? No. There is a JIP system in place to replace them.

I find it hard to believe that the objective games you've played wasn't a full game because of leavers. I've played CTF, Oddball and King of the Hill where only a FEW people left and got replaced by other players. Also, it's not called a 'full game' because people left, that is called an 'imbalanced game'. A full game is where you leave or end the game before it's supposed to be over. Just to let you know.

The only problem with the JIP system is that it sometimes places you in games that are almost complete. It needs to be fixed so that it doesn't put you in a game that is at least 90% complete from being over (via time constraints and points being earned). My only suggestion is to have the patience and wait until another person join so that the game will be rebalanced.

The JIP isn't always going to work, but it's the ONLY way teams can be rebalanced. The game isn't going to have a leaver penalty because that can cause problems for the community (especially people who leave for legitimate reasons or people who despise quit penalties).

My only advise: Be patient and the teams will be rebalanced. That's all we can do.

I wouldn't have any problem if players received an experience penalty for quitting a game. I also wouldn't have any problem if that penalty dropped them a rank and made them lose unlocks they'd gained. I wouldn't even have a problem if I suffered a lag-out and suffered this penalty unfairly, because I understand that for the most part it would be doing a good thing, and I understand that the system doesn't know the difference between me lagging out (Which happens very rarely to me btw) and me quitting.

However people don't like it when their actions have consequences, especially on the internet. They don't behave well and they don't behave reasonably. I wouldn't expect 343 to do something like this because as far as I can tell they listen to the loudest voices, and the loudest voices are usually stupidest.

Yes, I did read your post before responding. The JIP system DOES help people in objective games. What you're saying is that people seem to leave so often in objective games, which is totally not true.

Yes, every game has at least ONE person that leaves, which is infinitely higher than in previous Halo games.

Leavers do NOT affect your team nor the other team because of the JIP system (unless there are constantly people leaving in your games). The JIP system (as I told you several times) replaces them so your team be rebalanced. Who cares if there are several people leaving? They'll still be replaced quickly and efficiently The only problem with leavers is that some of them will leave because their favorite map wasn't voted for or they can't deal with the map that gets chosen. But does that mean they should get penalized? No. There is a JIP system in place to replace them.

Maybe you have never actually played Objective games, but unlike slayer, you actually need to have team members there to win. Usually it takes from 30 seconds to a minute to replace a leaver. Even in that short of time, the enemy team can overpower yours and capture your flag, or hold off your attack. You need every teammate to be successful

The only problem with the JIP system is that it sometimes places you in games that are almost complete. It needs to be fixed so that it doesn't put you in a game that is at least 90% complete from being over (via time constraints and points being earned). My only suggestion is to have the patience and wait until another person join so that the game will be rebalanced.

Patience works in slayer, not in objective when its all about timing pushes and relying on your team being there. Please tell me how you can "have patience" when half your team pushes to get the enemy flag but the guy with the rockets at base leaves and the remaining players gets overrun by 2-3 guys and trade flags when it should have been a single cap in your favor?

The JIP isn't always going to work, but it's the ONLY way teams can be rebalanced. The game isn't going to have a leaver penalty because that can cause problems for the community (especially people who leave for legitimate reasons or people who despise quit penalties).

My only advise: Be patient and the teams will be rebalanced. That's all we can do.

Yes its the only way teams can be rebalanced, but with leaver penalties then there won't be as much need for re balancing and all of the problems that JIP creates won't be as big. (hint most reasons people leave aren't legitimate and in the old Halo games, no one who had legitimate reasons to leave ever got hurt by the leaver penalties, only those who abused the system)

Yes, every game has at least ONE person that leaves, which is infinitely higher than in previous Halo games.

So.... you're constantly striking down my points just because ONE person left the game you were in. Awkward

Maybe you have never actually played Objective games, but unlike slayer, you actually need to have team members there to win. Usually it takes from 30 seconds to a minute to replace a leaver. Even in that short of time, the enemy team can overpower yours and capture your flag, or hold off your attack. You need every teammate to be successful

That is the most dumbest lie I've ever been told. Yes, I've played Objective Games. And the lie you told after that false assumption is wrong. I've played many Objective Games where teammates quit and still won and vice versa. I find it hard to believe the enemy team will "overpower my team" because we're short on 1 player. I do agree that you need every teammate to be successful, but that's one of the reasons why the JIP was made in the first place, so you CAN be successful. What? You're going to desperately lose because Player D left and will never return?

Patience works in slayer, not in objective when its all about timing pushes and relying on your team being there. Please tell me how you can "have patience" when half your team pushes to get the enemy flag but the guy with the rockets at base leaves and the remaining players gets overrun by 2-3 guys and trade flags when it should have been a single cap in your favor?

Another lie is told. Patience works in ALL games, including FFA modes. Just because ONE guy leaves isn't going to effect you nor your teammates if there is a JIP system. Also, you have to have somebody defending the flag in order to be successful and not have the entire team charging to the enemy flag.

Yes its the only way teams can be rebalanced, but with leaver penalties then there won't be as much need for re balancing and all of the problems that JIP creates won't be as big. (hint most reasons people leave aren't legitimate and in the old Halo games, no one who had legitimate reasons to leave ever got hurt by the leaver penalties, only those who abused the system)

Another false lie is told. With leaver penalties, you are idiotically penalizing people for quitting a game when there is a JIP system there. And let me tell you out loud so you'll get it: THERE IS NOT GOING TO BE A STEAKIN' LEAVER PENALTY BECAUSE THERE IS A JIP SYSTEM TO REPLACE THOSE PLAYERS. SO YOU'RE ENTIRE ARGUMENT SAYING THAT THERE WON'T BE ANY REBALANCING NEEDED IS STUPID AND ENTIRELY FALSE!!!!!!!!!! Please be aware that most people DO leave for legitimate reasons and there HAS been reasons to leave matches. I don't get why you're the only person that don't get that.

Get it through your head: THERE WILL NOT, AND SHOULD NOT, BE A LEAVER PENALTY BECAUSE IT'S ENTIRELY UNNEEDED AND WILL RUIN THE GAME'S REPUTATION! DUMBASS, GET THIS THROUGH YOUR HEAD!!!!

• 2 weeks later...