Girls like Unicorns

Madd Rob

Congratulations 343 for taking, from the lady gamers, the most feminine emblem in the game. Yes girls game as well and they like unicorns believe it or not. There is not much in the game for the female gamers. Even the female spartans are just skinny guys. How incredibly sexist and chauvinistic. We, yes I'm a guy, have been trying to include girl gamers in the mainstream gaming community for years. Bungie offered the massive fanbase for halo options for both sexes. It seems that 343 decided not to follow that philosophy.

There wasn't much in the way of gender customisation in previous games either. In Halo 3 it merely changed the voice work for your Spartan. In Halo: Reach it did that, and gave you a female model. In Halo 4 it does the same, giving you female voice work (though voices in MP don't play that often) and a female Spartan model. It's funny how you say it's sexist, yet you're not giving any examples as to why it is such. What about how most games portray male characters as huge muscle-bound jocks? Not every guy has huge muscles, shaves their head, or grunts like some kind of barbarian any time they exert themselves. Someone could just as easily argue that the way guys are being portrayed is rather sexist/stereotypical because of what I previously said. How is the game, or the developers design choices, sexist or chauvinistic? Please, do explain.

Just to let you know, I am aware that a lot of games make their female characters rather stereotypical, but they also do the same for guys. It's done for both genders, not just females.

• Like 3

before launch, I read that 343i has an inside joke with unicorns, so they made the fotus, its not sexism. Think of bungies flaming ninjas, that wasnt racism to homosexual asians, it was a joke, or the "blam" from forum filters being the backfiring car sound from outside bungies first studio. Since 343 is made up of ex bungie employees, it makes sense to add their own company joke.

And besides, the fotus and icon are collectors ed exclusives, if they gave them away, it would take the exclusiveness away and we would be left with a normal edition, Light rifle skin and console. limited edition got way more than people who shelled over hundreds for a console (i got it out of necessity and value, but im not the only console owner) they need SOMETHING and fotus is at least somthing for the CE customers.

My comment had nothing to do with with the game specifically. It was merely the taking away of the unicorn emblem because not much is offered in the way of feminine emblems. I understand that exclusives to game are exclusive for a reason. Additionally, I realize most fps favor the over masculinization of the male characters- G.O.W for example. My initial qualm wasn't about more guys being portrayed more porminantly than females in war games. Actually I was just ranting about the exclusiveness of a cool female emblem. That is where I got my sexist, chauvinistic statement. And yes unicorns are very masculine. My Halo Anniversary, Reach emblems are both unicorns, but I cool with the horse in H4. Halo has breeched boundaries in the gaming community that other fps have not, and "I" just thought that we had come past the fact that games are played by the female's in our community as well. Cheers to everyone for commenting about my rant, thanks.

Even the female spartans are just skinny guys. How incredibly sexist and chauvinistic.

Sorry but that made me lawl. That skinny trait is not being sexist, it mainly the truth. Females are generally smaller than men. So if you put a girl in large bulky male Spartan armour it will just look silly or make them look like a man. If 343 replaced the weapons for female Spartans with a frying pan...then that will be sexist.

• Like 1

You cant unlock a unicorn emblem? Sure I've seen one

And what are you on about what do you want female Spartans to look like?

This is thee most pointless critique I've seen so far and I'm genuinely confused I've checked the unicorn emblem is on halo 4 were you one of the people obbsessed with Kats ### in reach because that's a percentage of people that propper creep me out. I think the assertion that women just like pretty unicorns is sexist women are no different than men otherthan the difference of xx and Xy chromosomes that's it.

I agree with John here. There's plenty of options to make a sterotypical girl emblem anyway. But I'd say currently most girl gamers exsist outside of this pink and unicorn loving stereotype. Of course there are more masculine emblems due to the fact that there are way more dudes playing. And while I could see gaming becoming more gender equal in terms of players in the future it won't happen in halo 4s lifetime. Knowing the market is actually among the first steps of any video game or product, and that is no sin