Strategy and Teamwork

Admiral Ackbar

I was playing a game of Halo the other night. During the game a player yelled out "How *bleepin* dumb who uses strategy in Halo! I can't kill him when he hides behind cover when to recharge his shield!"

Shortly after yelling that he followed up with this beauty of a line. "I can't kill them when they are working as a team. How *bleepin* stupid. This game is dumb when people ruin it by using strategy and teamwork." Shortly after that he quit out of the game.

Now I find that absurd. I did my best to remember his quotes but either way you get the gist of what he was saying. That strategy and teamwork ruin the game. I can't fathom why you would think that those two things ruin Halo. You're playing Big TEAM Infinity Slayer. The name implies you're on a team, and therefore should use team work. As for the strategy statement, how is that ruining Halo? And I didn't mention this earlier, the other player was NOT being sarcastic. He was very upset about it all.

• Like 1

Teamwork has been quite a high learning curve for me in this game because I'm much more of a one-man-army type of player. I usually get a positive k/d result but with my team losing. I play with my other two friends with k/d of 0.6 and 0.9, so it means a lot for us when there's a win, especially in a 3v4 match(343i needs to fix this). I must say that 343i did a great job with matching us against other competitive players. Every game has been a challenge.

So yeah, I'm still working on team strategy with my other friends. I'm still customizing my loadouts as of today and trying to play support more.

Love the challenge that this game has been providing so far!

About this strategy thing....

It's pretty annoying when you have a team that can't keep up so they start playing it safe. And then by the time they quit... it's too late cause the other team has 2 saws and a shotgun. On the otherhand, the population was low, so I'm not completely taken aback by it, but it was terribly frustrating until the end where I felt we were picking things up (and then lost).

Uh, yeah, and I don't get complex. I mean the spawns... and the types of games... who the **** wants to camp in a building allday? While it's more dynamic and interesting, it feels like swordbase when you spawn across the map from your team and get sniped by one of em'snipers on the roof cause the rest of your team is still taking cover in that building.

In short, strategy is fun so long as it doesn't stagnate the game.

Wow, how pathetic. That guy doesn't understand the fact that teamwork and strategy is key to winning games. Like anyone isn't gonna implement some type of strategy into a game weather it's Oddball, King of the Hill, or even Regicide. Plus, no one will just let their opponent kill them when their shields are down. This guy needs to learn how to use teamwork and strategy. Then he'll see how effective it is.

Wow, how pathetic. That guy doesn't understand the fact that teamwork and strategy is key to winning games. Like anyone isn't gonna implement some type of strategy into a game weather it's Oddball, King of the Hill, or even Regicide. Plus, no one will just let their opponent kill them when their shields are down. This guy needs to learn how to use teamwork and strategy. Then he'll see how effective it is.

Nicely worded. If you want game play with no team work I would suggest Regicide. Not a Team Slayer variation. Or play in the FFA playlist they have up and running for the next couple of weeks.

That's what I love about this game, and have always loved about Halo. Being able to employ strategies that allow you to dominate or turn the tide of battle. It's not COD, where idiots either camp or just rush around and hope for the best. Halo is a thinking man's game, and this recent addition by 343 has made it even more so. By making vehicle combat more of a factor, and having an available counter for every weapon, armor item, and tactic. The muliplayer has become more like the Battlfield series....which is a big plus in my book. In real warfare there are tanks, helicopters,jets, and countless other war machines involved in the fray. Which is why I think COD's silly squad on squad combat is unrealistic and boring. War in the future will be no different.

I bet if they put a ordinance like a Predator missle.. something that could take a whole team out with one blast... folks wouldnt run together.. thats why in COD you run solo.. if you run in a bunch it would just end in a quad or triple kil...

That just removes more combat realism from the gameplay. In real warfare combat units work together in coordinated teams with pre-set strategies and contigency plans in place. The entire notion of the Predator missle strike in COD is silly. The military would not use a muli-million dollar asset like a predator to take out a few infantry targets.

That just removes more combat realism from the gameplay. In real warfare combat units work together in coordinated teams with pre-set strategies and contigency plans in place. The entire notion of the Predator missle strike in COD is silly. The military would not use a muli-million dollar asset like a predator to take out a few infantry targets.

In combat realism.. folks camp.. lol... folks like blood and death and quick games.. a lot of killing.. and folks complain if you camp... so why keep it real in the fake world we gamers play in

The thing is there isn't any major bomb like that in Halo 4. And even in other series of games, such as COD, teamwork is still the best way to play. Teamwork doesn't always mean running around together in a pack. You can be spread out throughout the map and still work in unison. I know a lot of times in Big Team Battle my group of friends and I are rarely running side by side. But we communicate and can attack the same group of enemy from multiple directions and take them down. Or we'll call out power weapons as they spawn, call out vehicles that are up and running, and share ordinances as needed.

Now the player I originally quoted was more frustrated with people running together. That horde type mentality is a great strategy for smaller maps. However it does fail when it comes to a larger map with more powerful weapons and vehicles. I.E running around in a pack on Ragnarok could get your whole team killed off pretty fast by a Mantis, Banshee, or something similar.

Why are some people so absord over 'teamwork'? Seriously.

Sure, teamwork and communication is an essential motivation for winning games, but that isn't always required to win a game.

The reason it is called Big 'TEAM' Infinity slayer because you are put into a team, and each kill you get goes toward your team's score. Anyone who dares to blurt out a decision, suggestion, or command will be ignored in all of the games I've played.

Big TEAM Infinity Slayer does NOT need teamwork and communication. You do, however, have to try to strategize how you should attack the other team, be it following your teammates and help them out or using specific 1v1 strategies if you decide to go out alone. If you choose the 1v1 strategy, then meeting a group of 3 opponents is on you. There are also strategies you can use to win a game.

I have NEVER seen a teammate or opponent try to work with each other to strategize or coordinate an attack. This isn't Left 4 Dead 2 where players are desperate for a attack coordination.

Again, you can try to coordinate an attack, but 99% of the players will ignore you. You're better off coordinating with friends.

In combat realism.. folks camp.. lol... folks like blood and death and quick games.. a lot of killing.. and folks complain if you camp... so why keep it real in the fake world we gamers play in

Its not that its unrelistic, it brings a bad element to the game.

I have NEVER seen a teammate or opponent try to work with each other to strategize or coordinate an attack. This isn't Left 4 Dead 2 where players are desperate for a attack coordination.

Again, you can try to coordinate an attack, but 99% of the players will ignore you. You're better off coordinating with friends.

You do make some good points. But I must respectfully disagree with you on some point. I myself have been in games with my friends where we do coordinate attacks on major power vehicles or people with major power weapons. On Exile when the tank spawns and the other team snags it. We'll find a way to take it down as a team.

Most players will ignore you. Which is why the majority of the time I don't expect them to play using teamwork. If they do, great, if not it's not a big deal to me. I just feel that when you're put in a team slayer, you should operate as a team. It would be like being put on a sports team, and not using teamwork. That maybe a poor example, but I hope it gets my point across.

I respect your thoughts, but I disagree on those points.