Halo 4 Makes $220 Million On First Day

Adam91

Halo4_Logo-600x300.jpg

It has been announced that Halo 4 has made $220 million within it's first 24 hours of release which makes it the most profitable Halo launch ever.

usatoday.com explains the situation.

Despite a five-year absence, Master Chief is still packing plenty of firepower.

Microsoft announced its long-awaited first-person shooter Halo 4 raked in $220 million worldwide in the first 24 hours of release, which makes it the biggest Halo launch ever. The game is on track to earn $300 million in its opening week.

The company says more than 4 million players have tried Halo 4, which follows hero Master Chief as he confronts a new alien threat to the universe. To date, players have logged more than 5 billion hours playing games across the Halo franchise.

The series has been a massive hit for Microsoft and its Xbox video game consoles. With the arrival of Halo 4, the franchise has pulled in $3.38 billion, an impressive feat considering it's only available for one platform.

The announcement arrives as another blockbuster video game -- Call of Duty: Black Ops II -- prepares to hit stores this Tuesday. Last year's release of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 pulled in $400 million in the first 24 hours.

This post has been promoted to an article

• Like 1

While it may seem impressive, they way they are stating the numbers....but the reality of it is far from impressive. The numbers above compared to a title that released 3 years prior...just re-inforces why Microsoft needs to break the Xbox Only branding for Halo, if they truly want to beat out all the other games and grab a hold of more gamers. Just Halo Xbox alone only pulled half or a bit less than half of it's competitors. Had Halo been made available for PS3 and PC along side Xbox, the $220M would likely had skyrocketed to $450M.

But I'm glad to see that Halo will survive and make the money it does. This almost ensures another title will come.

• Like 1

While it may seem impressive, they way they are stating the numbers....but the reality of it is far from impressive. The numbers above compared to a title that released 3 years prior...just re-inforces why Microsoft needs to break the Xbox Only branding for Halo, if they truly want to beat out all the other games and grab a hold of more gamers. Just Halo Xbox alone only pulled half or a bit less than half of it's competitors. Had Halo been made available for PS3 and PC along side Xbox, the $220M would likely had skyrocketed to $450M.

But I'm glad to see that Halo will survive and make the money it does. This almost ensures another title will come.

But, alas, in the end, making it available on any console other than the Xbox (I don't count PC as a console, and for the record, I'd love more Halo on the PC) would just give more sales to a rival company, which would, in the end, make them lose money.