Does anyone else think the remaining Spartan 2s should be in halo 5,6?

Penrole

If this is in the wrong forum section I apologies. Please direct me to the right forum.

Also I am speaking in the context of the 3 spartan 2s Kelly, Linda , and Fred.

I realize this has come up on multiple forums multiple times, but please hear me out. The spartan 2s have not been mentioned at all in ANY of the halo games (excluding the Linda Easter egg). I personally feel this is an injustice to all story driven halo fans. I think it would be AWESOME to see them in halo 5,6 or at the very least mentioned in passing. At least that would start to get the larger less knowledgeable community asking questions. The reasons I think that the spartan 2s would make an excellent addition to the halo games is because: More storyline(HUZZA), Co-op makes more sense (this reasoning might be outdated with halo 4 and the arrival of the spartan 4s),unfortunately I think having 2 kick butt spartan females would increase publicity would a lot of males....., It would really flesh out chief more and probably make it easier to talk about his past, and As a story freak I would really love to see Linda put 3 near instantaneous holes in a whatever were be facing in halo 5,6.

On the other side of the spectrum the negatives that I can think of would be grim.

1) Books could be awkward and might lose something

2) less knowledgeable gamers would probably say "WTF" to the arrival of 3 previously "unknown" Spartans. (gears of war 3 anyone?)

3) the game has a significant fan base dedicated to multiplayer,thus DEEP DEEP book tie ins will probably take a back seat.

4) Sometimes the books are better separate from the game and vice versa.

Anyway, What are your thoughts on this subject?

P.S I have yet to play halo 4 (Christmas) so PLEASE PLEASE watch what you say.

• Like 2

There are multiple book tie ins in halo 4 doubt that would stop them. I would very much like to see kelly in halo 4 being personally closest to chief of the remaining spartan II's I think so many things could be done with that

Do you mean DIRECT tie ins or Grasslands and Thursday war? I would view them more as prequels.

I do agree with you on Kelly, Of all the Spartan II's she does deserve to make an apperance the most (However if for some godforbiden reason it turns to romance I might have to cry). I would like to see Sam mentioned as well. (minor spoiler) I feel his sacrifice had a significant impact on Chiefs character.

• Like 2

Would it not take away from the last spartan "image" I think it would be a major story turner as you would then have to incorporate them in the story thus changing the chiefs belief that he is the last one

Well that could be a part of the story as well. They are trying to "humanize" Master Chief a bit more, and seeing his old comrades in arms would help that along quite nicely.

And we've already seen what Kelly and Fred might look like (because of FUD) but I would really love to see Linda. I was really hoping they would meet Master Chief back at the Infinity :(

• Like 3

Would it not take away from the last spartan "image" I think it would be a major story turner as you would then have to incorporate them in the story thus changing the chiefs belief that he is the last one

Ok, Unless something happens in halo 4 he's not the "last spartan". Keep in mind please that (in halo 4 at least) he is encountering Spartan IVs.

If what you mean is the "Spartan IIs" last I checked he has no reason to belive the remaning Spartan IIs are not still around. I don't think he even get a HINT that they were even in the micro Dyson sphere.

But.. in terms of "people that just play the games' you are correct (also please keep in mind that 343 wants MORE story).

Well that could be a part of the story as well. They are trying to "humanize" Master Chief a bit more, and seeing his old comrades in arms would help that along quite nicely.

And we've already seen what Kelly and Fred might look like (because of FUD) but I would really love to see Linda. I was really hoping they would meet Master Chief back at the Infinity :(

THANK YOU.

Yes i'm hoping us seeing Fred and Kelly was a hint. (also you do see Linda, But i believe she only appears in a Halo 4 trailer.)

Well I think he does sort of get the HINT that he is the last Spartan, he is on his own now, no spartan team, especially through the majority of the Human covenant war. He is bound to know he is the only one left, he hasnt heard from any of them for years. He is the last of his kind.

I'm sorry but I may have misunderstood your post. Please inform me if I did.

Ok, For starters... he is not the last Spartan ll. Where would he get a "hint" of it if i may ask? Last I heard he was fighting with Spartan IVs (please keep in mind i havent played halo 4 yet. so if you have information i don't regarding halo 4 please dont tell me). If by what you mean is Spartan IIs he FOUGHT with them in the Human Covenant war and then even when he thought they were all dead he still made a few suggestions to go back to reach. In regard to not hearing from them for years..... He has no reason to think there dead........ and he IS NOT the last of his kind. Granted 343 could decide to make them all go up in flames, but as far as I know (Spartan II wise) he's not alone.

If I may ask how much of the books do you read? (I say this because im trying to understand where your getting these questions not as derogatory)

I'm sorry but I may have misunderstood your post. Please inform me if I did.

Ok, For starters... he is not the last Spartan ll. Where would he get a "hint" of it if i may ask? Last I heard he was fighting with Spartan IVs (please keep in mind i havent played halo 4 yet. so if you have information i don't regarding halo 4 please dont tell me). If by what you mean is Spartan IIs he FOUGHT with them in the Human Covenant war and then even when he thought they were all dead he still made a few suggestions to go back to reach. In regard to not hearing from them for years..... He has no reason to think there dead........ and he IS NOT the last of his kind. Granted 343 could decide to make them all go up in flames, but as far as I know (Spartan II wise) he's not alone.

If I may ask how much of the books do you read? (I say this because im trying to understand where your getting these questions not as derogatory)

Yea you may have misunderstood, I was saying that after so many years with fighting in Spartan teams , te chief is now fighting alone, and that's been for the past few years he is bound to have thought they weren't still alive especially during the evasion on earth.

I have read all the books, I agree there is nothing that outrightly says he thinks he is the last one but it's more Likely that he does .

And the spartan IIs were by far the best and the books state that , the other Spartans are no were near as good.

Yea you may have misunderstood, I was saying that after so many years with fighting in Spartan teams , te chief is now fighting alone, and that's been for the past few years he is bound to have thought they weren't still alive especially during the evasion on earth.

I have read all the books, I agree there is nothing that outrightly says he thinks he is the last one but it's more Likely that he does .

And the spartan IIs were by far the best and the books state that , the other Spartans are no were near as good.

Ah, i'm sorry my mistake.

Well all we know for sure is that he saw them before halo 2 started........ i will assume halo 2 , 3 took only about a week... at most... (please confirm) I don't think being in stasis (end of halo 3) really counts for "years"... where exacly are you getting years if I may ask?

As a long time halo fan, and reader of all things halo I would love to see this. I originally hoped to see it in halo 2, then perhaps in halo 3. The books explained the spartan's whereabouts, which make it impossible for them to appear so I was okay with that.

Then in Reach, which I was ecstatic about because surely the spartan II's would be shown in this. Instead they introduce noble team which confused me as spartan III's weren't ever mentioned in the Reach novel. But I fell in love with the characters and the plot made sense in time.

Eventually, I just decided that the games won't adapt to the books because most players don't read them. Introducing kelly, fred, and linda would probably confuse people. It would be pretty awesome though, I picture the next game revolving around the spartan 4's though...

As a long time halo fan, and reader of all things halo I would love to see this. I originally hoped to see it in halo 2, then perhaps in halo 3. The books explained the spartan's whereabouts, which make it impossible for them to appear so I was okay with that.

Then in Reach, which I was ecstatic about because surely the spartan II's would be shown in this. Instead they introduce noble team which confused me as spartan III's weren't ever mentioned in the Reach novel. But I fell in love with the characters and the plot made sense in time.

Eventually, I just decided that the games won't adapt to the books because most players don't read them. Introducing kelly, fred, and linda would probably confuse people. It would be pretty awesome though, I picture the next game revolving around the spartan 4's though...

We can only hope... We can only hope.

SPOILERS WARNING SO READ WITH CARE

i honestly think it would be fantastic if master chief had some of his old family join him in the following games seeing as how cortana is no longer around (as far as chief knows) and in my opinion the spartan IVs are a joke... besides, john has no connection to them really anyway

hell they might even consider a reunion with the arbiter ("long time no see" "i thought you were dead") to make a john, fred, kelly, and arbiter team... idk but in either case id love to see fred and kelly. john did find a spartan in cryo after the events of 'instalation 04'. since the books are very close to the game as far as story goes i dont see how they can put linda in since she is no longer with us... but for the record she is my favorite spartan (the sniper)

all in all i think it would be a great idea. not only for master chiefs 'humanity' but for the fans as well... it would be astounding and a great thing to see a select few saprtan IIs show the so-called spartan IVs what it really means to be a SPARTAN

• 2 weeks later...

i honestly think it would be fantastic if master chief had some of his old family join him in the following games seeing as how cortana is no longer around (as far as chief knows) and in my opinion the spartan IVs are a joke... besides, john has no connection to them really anyway

hell they might even consider a reunion with the arbiter ("long time no see" "i thought you were dead") to make a john, fred, kelly, and arbiter team... idk but in either case id love to see fred and kelly. john did find a spartan in cryo after the events of 'instalation 04'. since the books are very close to the game as far as story goes i dont see how they can put linda in since she is no longer with us... but for the record she is my favorite spartan (the sniper)

all in all i think it would be a great idea. not only for master chiefs 'humanity' but for the fans as well... it would be astounding and a great thing to see a select few saprtan IIs show the so-called spartan IVs what it really means to be a SPARTAN

Indeed it would... Also if your going to put in spoilers please do something to indicate when they end please.

I'd hope to see them join, I'd like to think 343 is trying to do that with them updating the books to make somethings make more sense. In the second book MC talks about it being weird fighting by himself he always had Kelly and Fred, then he got used to having Cortana *Spoilers* and maybe now that he is alone again after being in a 'relationship' for the past couple years they will give him another type of back-up we as gamers aren't used to with MC. *Spoilers end* And then in the Limited Edition it has Thorne's book where he talks about the Air Force separating from the Army, and who became their Chief of Staff. I'd like to think it's a hint 343 put in where they are going to have the Spartan's become something more, with MC at their head? * Spoilers* I mean the whole room stopped when he walked in the room even Demarco (or I think it's him.) fell of the treadmill. *End Spoilers*

the chief last saw spartan II's when he returned to reach (first strike) then when the Gettysburg returned to earth we don't know what happened to the rest of blue team, I would have thought they would be on Cairo Station getting medals along with the chief but they must have been elsewhere. So then the Covenant attack, master chief drops the bomb on them, lands in New Mombassa and then after kicking several shades of Covvie ass hitches a ride on 'in amber clad' and finds himself at delta halo.

He then gets sent to High Charity, then to the forerunner dreadnaught. While this is going on Blue team are fighting the covenant on earth and then onto Onyx where they then get stuck in a dyson sphere until rescued (halo grasslands)..

so all remaining spartan II's were offered the chance to join the Spartan programme (which brings together all remaining 2's,3's and the new voluntary 4's) This should have placed them all on Infinity in time to meet the chief, the fact that there was no mention of them at all in halo 4 leads me to believe they were either back on earth or on some secret mission.

I would love to see that moment when the chief meets them again.. olly olly oxen free..

• 1 month later...

correct me if im wrong. i thought that linda was mortaly injured, but before she died cheif put her in cryo with the hope that a med team could try to figure out how to save her. i don't think her actual death was ever actually stated. she almost died, then was frozen, where she reamins, and will probably die when thawed. am i wrong?

with all due respect, reach dose not make sense, and there are several other topics most have been locked due to arguing that state this. 1 pillar of autum was in space in the book fall of reach, so why was it on planet in the game. 2 spartan 3 ages, the spartan three program started in 2531 i think, and the first two batches of spartan 3's all died during missions. oldest the could be is about 22 yet in the character bios of noble team it says they are all older. there are many other contradicition in reach as well. reach is contraditory to everthing else halo. but that is not the topic at hand i just wanted to clear up that the story line dose not make sense even given more time like you had suggested.

as far as the OP, i think it would be awsome to see more spartan 2's! check out the spartanII's head count, or halo wiki spartan II's, because it gives a list of all known spatan 2's and their time of death if dead. i think that there are more than just kelly and fred left but i would have to double check.

also has anyone played the original xbox title starwars republic commando? it had some really cool mechanincs in it. it was an fps where you only control one character, but as the leader of the group you could point at another member of your fireteam and then point to cover or a specific enemy and that squad member would the engage or provide cover fire.

It would be cool to see halo try to use and improve on those mechanics(if not copywrited). first you get the old spartan 2's back then you get to control them from a squad leaders perspective. how awsome would that be? Mc points at kelly then tells her to get to cover at point A and provide cover fire, then tells fred to get to point B and do the same, enabling you to control the battlefield in a new tactical way. having none of that be cinamatic but actual in game play, where you as MC picked point A and B. that would be freaking epic!

Spartan IIs were active for nearly 30 years.

Besides, there's only one left within the UNSC.

It's time to let him retire.

I really really doubt they are going to retire master cheif, 1 343 just started to try to develop his personality it dose not make sense that they would just start and then all the sudden have to start over again with a new character. 2. halo games revolve around master cheif just like starwars(the originals) revolve around luke. i just would not make sense to get rid of the main character expecialy when he is the fan favorite.

also many genreals have a much longer military careers.