What will the Competitive Ranking System be like?- Another ranking topic...but this is a question that needs to be asked!

Sova

Well this certainly is a much repeated question in all forums that concern Halo. But I have yet to see one that adequately puts to rest the questions about what the ranking system will be like. Yes, there's this leveling up 1-50 credit based system where people unlock perks, armour, and loadouts. But I have yet to see any in-depth discussion on an actual ranking system.

Let me rephrase- Is there a definitive answer as to what the ranking system for Halo 4 is going to be like? Is this spartan points class leveling system the entire ranking system or will there actually be a real system in place that compares players to each other?

I believe Franky mentioned a "hidden" rank that all players will see that will compare them to everyone else. But I also heard that this was just hearsay and not set in stone. So honestly, is there any info out there that suggests what form of a system 343i is going to us that ranks players against each other? Or is what we've gotten from them all there really is to the multiplayer.

My opinion is that if 343i doesn't put in a competitive system like H2 or H3 had and even Reach to a certain extent, then halo's future will go the way of Star Wars- dwindling fan support and loss of interest. (yeah I needed some sort of pop culture reference). Whether you liked H2, H3, or Reach's systems or not, I think it can be said that without a competitive aspect (ranking system) there will be no point to play the game other than mindless leveling to get "the next cool thing." That to me makes games stale and ultimately destroys them.

Let me also ask you all this- Knowing that you expect the next modern warfare game is going to only put in maybe a couple new modes or weapons and killstreaks...honestly, are you really going to spend 60 bucks to play a game that you've played 3 times already? All that changes are the weapons, maps, story, streaks, and gamemodes...who wants to buy the same game over and over again? not me. and I don't want that to happen to Halo.

See, if ranking systems make the game completely for someone, they need to replay the whole series and enjoy the story and gameplay. However, you seem to be of the mind that rank helps players enjoy getting that objective or fix their playstyle. This is true. A real ranking system that shows skill will help people want to do good and not quit, but it also has to keep account sales and boosting down to a minimum. Halo 4's system so far is that you get XP for winning, completing games, and doing positive actions for yourself. Whether you lose XP for anything or not is unknown. Each rank-up nets you so many SP for buying weapons, armor, AA's, and Packages/Upgrades. The hidden rank seems to be a true thing and it could be a skill rank. However, the talk of hidden rank so far seems only to be rumors, as you said.

Now, Halo 4 is definitely going to put you with similarly skilled players, but whether your skill is tracked or not is unknown. The hidden rank could be a type of in-game BPR system. Meaning that you are ranked based on skill, but only you can see it. AFAIK, only time will tell. I agree this question needs to be answered with a true and definite statement.

I agree that Halo needs a good ranking system, but can't people look around before they make a new thread about this? This question has been answered many times before. Posting here won't change the answer. Also, how can you compare not having a ranking system to selling someone the same game over again? That doesn't make any sense at all.

I agree that Halo needs a good ranking system, but can't people look around before they make a new thread about this? This question has been answered many times before. Posting here won't change the answer. Also, how can you compare not having a ranking system to selling someone the same game over again? That doesn't make any sense at all.

I was referring to the endless zombie leveling that Call of Duty uses. It relates in the sense that with a ranking system it actually motivates a person to keep playing the game.

Let me put it this way: You can only play a game so much before it gets old. Call of Duty is a game like this. You level up and unlock things- these give you motivation to keep going, however, once you reach the top level you have a choice of starting all over again or staying there with everything unlocked and not much to show for it other than going into games and winning them. Sure you can point to the leaderboard and such to show how many games you've won, but lets be honest...that doesn't show your skill, it just shows how much time you can waste. Call of duty doesn't pit you against people with similar skill either. So what Call of Duty does is to come out with new guns, perks, streaks, maps to just temper that hunger for more than what they initially give you. So they make a new game...problem solved, except not really because its the same EXACT gameplay minus a few changes. That gets old, fast, and is a waste of money.

So how does relate to the ranking system? Ranking system gives a person more than just unlocks to achieve. A ranking system motivates the player to improve his skill at the game in a quest to reaching the top. You could say that's just stupid because people who reach their peak can't get to the top but there's an adrenaline drive put into a ranking system.

Let me ask you another question...Did you ever play halo 2? Be honest. Because I bet you most people who played Halo 2 will agree with me that the ranking system was what kept them coming back for more gameplay. Sure you have the casual gamers and all who play for just fun but then you have the other core of gamers who want to prove their worth against the community. You can't just lop that core off and expect them to enjoy what casual gamers enjoy. I'm not ranting but I'm trying to show you the relevance a ranking system has to the creation of a game. WIthout a ranking system such the ones of H2 h3, and Reach then Halo will be going the path of Call of Duty in that all they do is change the gameplay up a bit and expect you to be satisfied with leveling up until they release their next creation. Simple market strategy that's got Call of Duty making millions...sadly, the competitive gamers are being overshadowed by the voices of the casual gamers. Yes there's a smaller community who are the competitive gamers but they make or break the game.

Reach is perfect for this reasoning. Look at what MLG did; they removed Reach this previous year because no one had interest in the game. This is mostly due to the fact that the competitive community, the main audience of MLG, thought Reach's competitiveness was nonexistent, thus why watch a game that has no competitive value to it? Every competitive gamer wants to emulate the Pros and a ranking system helps to show for this...

Also, no one has yet to give a clear, competent answer to a COMPETITIVE ranking system...there is a difference between that and the SP system they have put in place. They are two totally separate entities. And I have looked around, trust me, I have yet to find an answer on this.

• Like 1

Nobody's given you a clear answer because there is no clear answer an probably won't be anytime soon. If nobody has posted a clear answer then that's probably a good indication that there isn't one. And anyone who only plays a game for the ranking system is a joke. And on your point about the difference between leveling through a CoD system and leveling through a skill system... I have played under both and the motivation is pretty much the same. I don't need a ranking system to encourage me to get better.

And anyone who only plays a game for the ranking system is a joke. And on your point about the difference between leveling through a CoD system and leveling through a skill system... I have played under both and the motivation is pretty much the same. I don't need a ranking system to encourage me to get better.

That's a matter of opinion for you sir. To many other gamers they play for the ranking system as well as the gameplay. I never said ONLY for the ranking system. But you need both to have a well designed and playable game otherwise people lose interest in it. I've played under both as well and can say that the ranking system motivates me to do well. Halo 3 I played a lot harder to get a 50 where as in Reach when I played from game to game I didn't get anything out of it other than stupid armour which doesn't show how good I am and what my record is. I didn't see much loss in losing a game whereas the threat of losing a rank makes you want to win a game and try. Also, when you lose a game and someone smack talks you about your performance then you can't back that up. A rank helps that.

Before you repost on this topic be weary that your own personal opinion about a ranking system and the people who like to play with it is a matter of whether you like it or not. Many people play for different reasons, and I just so happen play to show how much better I am at a game than my friends, peers, and fellow gamers.

• Like 2

Now you're resorting to sarcasm and trolling...probably trying to get the thread locked because you think its annoying to read the same topics over and over again. News flash, no one is forcing you to come in here, read the topic and give your opinion and then start trolling the post. Please, just stop. It's really annoying when people just come in and say something is stupid and not contribute anything meaningful or constructive to a topic. This is the problem with forums like these...no one gives a rats A#$ about constructive criticism.

• Like 1

Sova I've agreed with you on previous topics and I agree with this one. We gotta get together and play Halo sometime, no lie.

To answer your question about the ranking system, nothing has been cut and dry yet, but Frank O Connor is supposed to clarify more in the upcoming days towards Halo 4.

I'm not shunning any casual gamers because they're apart of the fan base too, but Halo matchmaking is the house that competitive players built. In Halo 2 everybody wanted that highest level and to strive towards MLG status or at least play against/with MLG players. Halo 2 started it all for the massive influx of players in matchmaking and Xbox Live in general, in my opinion. Reach was a disaster and statistics show the number of players who wanted to come back to that game. Neither the game itself nor the ranking system was designed for competitive play by any means. The competitive play and ranking systems in Halo 2 and 3 is what kept people coming back. Halo 4 needs that competitive element in their ranking system to become more successful in the long term, and not to just have people pick the game up, beat the campaign, get a few upgrades and quit, like in Reach.

• Like 3

Halo 4 needs that competitive element in their ranking system to become more successful in the long term, and not to just have people pick the game up, beat the campaign, get a few upgrades and quit, like in Reach.

thats exactly what i did with reach, who would even say halo doesn't need a ranking system? I'm not answering that but to us competitive players the answer is obvious.

we can't do much about it now, it needs a ranking system, why else would I learn to jump from S1 to elbow (h3)? why else would I spend 4 hours learning to br from street to street on construct? why else would I spend hours on each map in forge throwing grenades to learn landing spots? why else would I put anything in my fileshare?

why would anyone else bother with that stuff if it doesn't give them a rank that sets them apart from everyone else?

and THEN.... how much fun is the game gonna be if there is none of that excellence by me/for me/against me?

asked and answered.

• Like 2

Sova I've agreed with you on previous topics and I agree with this one. We gotta get together and play Halo sometime, no lie.

Hit me up after November 14th. I'll hopefully be on by then! (Currently out of the states).

why would anyone else bother with that stuff if it doesn't give them a rank that sets them apart from everyone else?

and THEN.... how much fun is the game gonna be if there is none of that excellence by me/for me/against me?

asked and answered.

I agree man. The competitive ranking systems serve as a key source of motivation for players. I also remember the work I put in for Halo 2 and 3 and the ranking system drove me to become better, and that's exactly what happened, I became better and I kept coming back to the game.

Hit me up after November 14th. I'll hopefully be on by then! (Currently out of the states).

Definitely will bro. Sorry you can't play Halo 4 on release day. =/

I completely and 100% agree with sova if their is no traditional h2 or h3 ranking system their is no point or fun in the game you won't have to worry about boosters or people quiting or making accounts cause nobody will play it just like reach that game was the worst halo made 343 needs to do something about this before the game comes out and a lot off people are disappointed and this game flops