Joining Matches in the middle of a session. Is it a good idea after all?

Gobblekin

I end up thinking it's a sort of good thing without being great or horrible.

All it does is keep teams closer to full and matches slightly closer to fair. That's the good part. The bad part is how often you DO join a game only to lose instantly, or worse, die a few times because the enemy team has massive map control and power weapons and THEN you lose (I still like to keep a good K/D, so showing up and immediately facing a guy with a rocket launcher sucks, especially when the game ends right after he hits me with it)

So you have the bad stories (Like the one I mentioned) and you have the good stories (Join a game mid-way and turn the tide, winning the game thanks to the JIP system).

The end result is that games just continue to get played, won or lost, all with slightly more people involved. Does it suck to join and lose instantly even though you weren't really at fault? Yes. Is it awesome to show up in a game after everyone has a good score and STILL rock their faces off? Yes. The whole time, more people get to play with shorter waits. I think overall JIP is a good thing, but mostly it's just another thing which doesn't impact things a whole lot one way or another. It's also nice when you lose players because they're betraying or something and you boot them because you ought to, that you can hope for replacements.

Like many things in Halo 4 though, it has the effect of dumbing things down. You don't have time to think or plan when you join a game in progress, you just have to react. Similarly your nice map-domination strategy falls apart when half their team rage-quits and suddenly they get a new half that spawns behind you. This just isn't a game with a big difference between good and bad players, and it isn't a game which rewards intelligent play that much. It's a game where you run around sprinting into fights and dying and respawning instantly so you can't even pause to wonder why you died. The dumber you play, the more being outnumbered matters, so be glad that the JIP system keeps that from happening too much.

• Like 1

If wins and losses do become ranking system, then they get issues. I haven't played H4 due to being annoyed and decreasing my chances of snapping 1 of 3 discs. So I just let myself go on MGS, SH, RES, etc. A few fun single player games which give me no grief. I did the same thing with reach before snapping 1 of 2 discs due to Title Update. Yeah I snapped one because I got a bit rowdy with friends and threw it at a fan for $40. Seriously, if 343i gave you the ****s then walk it off like I am. I'll come back refreshed and hope that my time will be better as it was with reach, although it happened twice during reach.

• Like 1

Because of join in progress, true win/loss statistics mean nothing now. Almost every person has went in to a game and almost automatically lost. On the other hand join in progress also has it's positives like fixing the quitters situation, but I'm not sure if it's worth sacrificing wins and losses.

• Like 1

I don't mind it. What I'm looking for is a good connection to host as typically I'm looking at my k/d. If the connections not good I'll back out straight away. If it is good, I'll stay until the end. I don't mind joining a team that's losing as long as it's not by more than 10 or 12 kills. I can generally make that up.

I end up thinking it's a sort of good thing without being great or horrible.

All it does is keep teams closer to full and matches slightly closer to fair. That's the good part. The bad part is how often you DO join a game only to lose instantly, or worse, die a few times because the enemy team has massive map control and power weapons and THEN you lose (I still like to keep a good K/D, so showing up and immediately facing a guy with a rocket launcher sucks, especially when the game ends right after he hits me with it)

So you have the bad stories (Like the one I mentioned) and you have the good stories (Join a game mid-way and turn the tide, winning the game thanks to the JIP system).

The end result is that games just continue to get played, won or lost, all with slightly more people involved. Does it suck to join and lose instantly even though you weren't really at fault? Yes. Is it awesome to show up in a game after everyone has a good score and STILL rock their faces off? Yes. The whole time, more people get to play with shorter waits. I think overall JIP is a good thing, but mostly it's just another thing which doesn't impact things a whole lot one way or another. It's also nice when you lose players because they're betraying or something and you boot them because you ought to, that you can hope for replacements.

Like many things in Halo 4 though, it has the effect of dumbing things down. You don't have time to think or plan when you join a game in progress, you just have to react. Similarly your nice map-domination strategy falls apart when half their team rage-quits and suddenly they get a new half that spawns behind you. This just isn't a game with a big difference between good and bad players, and it isn't a game which rewards intelligent play that much. It's a game where you run around sprinting into fights and dying and respawning instantly so you can't even pause to wonder why you died. The dumber you play, the more being outnumbered matters, so be glad that the JIP system keeps that from happening too much.

And that's why Halo was always regarded as the preeminent game for competitive players. No load outs, every one starts with the same thing and the best team wins. To be honest, I'm already bored with it to a degree due to those factors.

I don't mind it. What I'm looking for is a good connection to host as typically I'm looking at my k/d. If the connections not good I'll back out straight away. If it is good, I'll stay until the end. I don't mind joining a team that's losing as long as it's not by more than 10 or 12 kills. I can generally make that up.

And that's why Halo was always regarded as the preeminent game for competitive players. No load outs, every one starts with the same thing and the best team wins. To be honest, I'm already bored with it to a degree due to those factors.

I could, anybody who is veteran could. Although I don't want to waste my time in the losing team. So I would quit the game. I hate the new stuff, I call it profanity as it offends a lot of players to make Halo so, undesirable and bad. Lost half of my friends list to not liking the new stuff added... although, that was my opinion. I still Consider the rest of your opinions.