Life on Mars in 1976..?

miniamp

I was reading an article on MSN.com, and it was saying how scientists were relooking at data from the Voyager missions in 1976, and they were using raw data or somesort like that. They stated that a man mission is now not needed to prove life. They're 99% sure that it's there, they just need to see it move or something

What are your opinions?

Can anyone help me separate the facts and rumors on this subject?

Well, your guess is as good as any. The way I look at it though, is out of every single star system in the infinitely large universe, we can't be the only ones here. Even if there is not life on mars, there has to be somewhere else.

those are my exact feelings

Microbes, huh? That's cool. I could believe it. Water is all but essential to the growth of many forms of life. The geography of Mars tells me it used to have actual liquid water all over the place (dried-up riverbeds and such). Also, here's a corroborating article from NASA that suggests water may still, in fact, flow on Mars during its warm months: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/MRO/news/mro20110804.html

I have to wonder if maybe billions of years ago there was life on Mars that went the way of the Dinosaur, or maybe ended up destroying itself the way Humanity is, ravaging the planet's natural resources until life is no longer sustainable. Billions of years later: microbes! HOORAY! :animier:

• Like 1

I'd love to think there had once been complex life on Mars, but it just seems so unlikely. There's no fossil evidence, no complex mineral structures, no visible organic structures.

But then what happens if we DO discover Mars really does have bacterial life?

Is it right that we interfere? That's getting awfully close to 'playing God' territory...

Well, your guess is as good as any. The way I look at it though, is out of every single star system in the infinitely large universe, we can't be the only ones here. Even if there is not life on mars, there has to be somewhere else.

You explained exactly what I thought for a couple of years. So much space is out there, so why wouldn't it be in use? There are tons of suns and tons of planets. I am sure there is AT LEAST one other planet with the right atmosphere, temperature, etc.