Paid DLC instead of Microtransactions

MT359

It worked well for all the previous Halo games, and with lootboxes taking over gaming, paid DLC would be a nice relief and would allow for 343i to focus on designing the game around gameplay as opposed to designing it around a monetized lootbox (REQ) system. 

The money 343i gets from the DLC could be used to add slight updates for forge and other gamemodes and such, but the big map updates can be locked behind DLC.

Just thing of Zombie maps in COD. If 343 came out with a horde mode that was fun, they could add maps to the game through that mode and I guarantee that people would buy those maps.

Just a thought...

• Like 3

Technically Halo has already had a horde mode (Infection and Firefight)

But I agree. I think the best option is if they make the REQ system entirely based off credits from in-game playing ALA Reach (Which would promote skill and ability), and the actually money comes from map packs with entirely original and unique maps (And I mean original and unique, if these maps are simply reskins or uninspired, shame on 343i)

343i doesnt profit from Halo or microtransactions, Microsoft does. Regardless of how much money Halo generates for Miccrosoft and it's game division, 343 still operates and produces content/expansions as directed by the studio executives, which are either greenlit or shutdown by their bosses.....the executive board at Microsoft. No one decision is made alone....it's all part of the corporate process.

Yes sometimes executives or directors are given the ability to "do as they please", but those moments still require reporting back on the progress and result of those decisions, which in turn dictates future autonomous actions, or scringint lockdown of all dicisions.

But yes, microtransactions in Halo and gaming in general are bad. Hell for that matter "required" DLC is just as bad, which is why in Halo you are still able to venture into playlists and enjoy the game without needing to have DLC. Because of the new focus on flair and general stupid additional characteristic upgrades that are flooding the genre.....microtransactions will likely not be going away anytime soon.

• Like 1

343i doesnt profit from Halo or microtransactions, Microsoft does. Regardless of how much money Halo generates for Miccrosoft and it's game division, 343 still operates and produces content/expansions as directed by the studio executives, which are either greenlit or shutdown by their bosses.....the executive board at Microsoft. No one decision is made alone....it's all part of the corporate process.

Yes sometimes executives or directors are given the ability to "do as they please", but those moments still require reporting back on the progress and result of those decisions, which in turn dictates future autonomous actions, or scringint lockdown of all dicisions.

But yes, microtransactions in Halo and gaming in general are bad. Hell for that matter "required" DLC is just as bad, which is why in Halo you are still able to venture into playlists and enjoy the game without needing to have DLC. Because of the new focus on flair and general stupid additional characteristic upgrades that are flooding the genre.....microtransactions will likely not be going away anytime soon.

I would want the game to be a complete and full experience even without DLC. DLC are what they should be, expansions that completely reinvigorate the game, but aren't entirely needed, unless you think a new map or given costume set in it is cool. I just fear they won't do that, and they will make the DLC map packs mandatory for basic functions and game-modes in the game.

343i said a few things about Map Packs not working for them I think around 2013. Halo 5's way of doing it, despite how much I hate it, is the most non-anti-consumer way as they could've made it... at least, in comparison to other, more antagonistic games. Having microtransactions limited to cosmetics and Warzone loot, and offering free expansions I think almost fixed the problem. It's not a perfect system, but it's a step in the right direction.

I also remember the ages of Reach & 4, and constantly seeing members here complaining about not wanting to buy the Map Packs, but despite the hate that REQs have gotten I haven't seen that same sentiment for REQs: just a general hatred for classical microtransactions.

If I had any suggestion for how to better improve this system, I'd say having maps in the REQ rotation, and as general unlockables would be one of those suggestions. It's so stupid it might just work.

Im not sure if I read what you posted right, but your obviously misguided as to why the DLC maps and actual content was "free" this time around. It wasn't due to them being awesome or trying to revolutionize the system. They did it because they screwed up pretty much everything, and the REQ system was just an excuse to recup and milk the franchise. Had the DLC been standard as all Halo's have been, they wouldnt have been able to justify and exploit the microtransaction system.

I strongly agree with this suggestion, and have thinking about it more so recently. Halo Wars 2 has a mix of both microtransactions and DLC, and it works well. Microsoft get their cash, and 343 get to produce great content which we need. I'd prefer no microtransactions at all, but the way it's done in HW2 isn't half bad. They don't give each player a major advantage, and they only function for Blitz. Halo 5's multiplayer was damaged by REQ packs in my opinion. I say they were a good trial, and I did enjoy them at times, but selling them for real cash isn't true Halo. Some people say that REQs also devalue certain weapons/vehicles, remember when people would rush for a Scorpion or Rocket launcher back in Halo 3 MP? Halo 3 gave each weapon more value in the multiplayer, and its armour-unlock system was IMO the best.

Don't want to go too off-topic here, but I believe DLC was generally more loved back in the days of H3 and Reach, and Halo 4. Hope to see them make a return. I do of course see the advantages of free maps and content without DLC in Halo 5, but the ability to buy REQ packs is too much of a negative aspect (IMO) for me to back it.