Boltshot / PV Balancing Discussion

SatanicBagels

In the past I have defended the Boltshot as fair and well balanced. This will not change in this thread. I view the gameplay mechanics of the gun to be powerful but not devastatingly so. However in all my justifications of the Boltshot being a properly balanced gun I consider the armor ability Promethean Vision as a wrecking ball for Boltshot users.

Recently upon picking up the Boltshot for usage (I started playing Team Regicide) I discovered that in the hands of a skilled user that Promethean Vision won't always be an adequate counter for the Boltshot.

See truth is when I'm using this pistol and I see the flare on my radar signaling the PV user nearby I immediately begin to anticipate the rush of my position by the opposing player resulting in an easy close range kill for me. Why shouldn't my opponent do that? It would work in most situations no?

I don't see any changes to the Boltshot needing to be made... but I think that it would be useful if there was some way for Promethean Vision to point out people with the Boltshot when activated. This would make Promethean Vision an adequate counter for the Boltshot again. It would also allow the wetwork armor mod to be popularized as that would be an appropriate counter to Promethean Vision for Boltshot users.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

i think this is the wrong way to go, simply because PV having so much focus on "hey theres a boltshot" doesnt make sence IMO. i think they should simply cause the boltshot to require fully charging until it auto releases, in stead of allowing for release within that half second or so window of "prongs" fully spread. being able to release after only half the charge period, or any time from then to auto release, is what makes the wep OP. if its burst only releases upon the auto release, however, it becomes perfectly balanced

I think it's a little extreme to buff Promethean Vision specifically against a single weapon - not a race's weapon, a class of weapons, but an individual one. To know if someone has a Boltshot is great and all, but not knowing whether that person without one is wielding an Assault Rifle or a Rocket Launcher...

A better way of doing it may be the highlight weapons as a different colour, like yellow or white or cyan or whatever - something distinctive, but which affects all weapons equally. That would also help balance it a little better, as the extra advantage would take skill to use effectively and thus mean stronger players would be more likely to use it instead of just relying on their motion trackers, and also wouldn't create a situation where players are basically shoehorned into avoiding the Boltshot just in case someone on the other team has Promethean Vision.

• Like 1

I think you're approaching this from a very strange and I'm afraid incorrect angle. First off, PV is a general-use AA that helps you in all kinds of situations, not just those where you fight a boltshot user. Second, it DOES frequently save your hide against a boltshot user in seeing they have one, but I don't see any reason why a person with one particular weapon or AA or perk should just ALWAYS own someone with another specific thing. I may feel like certain things should give you winning odds (Like if I have a shotgun and you have a DMR, I'd like that encounter to depend a lot on the range we're at), but not the win.

PV counters the boltshot-CAMPER because you can see the guy, it also counters every other camper you catch with it, but it doesn't keep you from then walking around the corner and getting owned anyway. It's an AA that provides you with information, and what you do with that information is your job. It shouldn't highlight one particular weapon, because it's just a detection AA. Should your motion tracker ping people as bright violet when they have a boltshot? I don't think so.

There are plenty of kills that still happen with a boltshot that AREN'T camping believe it or not. I know I get into plenty of fights where we both grab some cover, switch to boltshots, and then it's on. It's an excellent sidearm, and by that I mean it can get kills on people who CAN see you and who DO know you're there. I don't know why they should get an extra alert when using PV because if you're in boltshot range you can actually see the boltshot in their hands. Should the PV guy also get an alert when there's a sword around the corner? Even though he can see by the way the spartan's hands are that he has one? This idea just doesn't make any sense.

• Like 2

I used to think the BS was OP but the more and more I think about it, the more I realize that however imbalanced it may be, it is needed in this game. Why? To balance out the AR. They made the AR really powerful in this game (to appease the new players from other game series) so to balance this power increase, they gave precision weapon users the BS. That way they don't instant die to an AR user when he comes around a corner. Now, did this create more problems than it caused? Maybe, but its more less annoying than dying to an AR.

I used to think the BS was OP but the more and more I think about it, the more I realize that however imbalanced it may be, it is needed in this game. Why? To balance out the AR. They made the AR really powerful in this game (to appease the new players from other game series) so to balance this power increase, they gave precision weapon users the BS. That way they don't instant die to an AR user when he comes around a corner. Now, did this create more problems than it caused? Maybe, but its more less annoying than dying to an AR.

This may make me a bad person, but I totally have an AR/BS loadout. Specifically for when there are people running around using one or the other. lmao
  • Like 1