Microsoft New "Game Content Usage Rules"

Ccup-mann

From Microsoft: We know that people like you love our games and sometimes want to use things like gameplay footage, screenshots, music, and other elements of our games ("Game Content") to make things like machinima, videos, and other cool things (your "Item" or "Items"). We'd like to make that easier for you. So long as you can respect these rules, you can use our Game Content to make your Items.

Microsoft have laid down new rules which prevent players to make profit through videos and what not from Microsoft titled games including Halo, here is a video made by HaloReachTutor explaining these new rules:

To see these new rules yourself http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/developer/rules

I hate to derail the hate-train, but what exactly is new about this? The game content usage rules are the exact same as the last time I checked them (January 1, 2011) except for an email address ([email protected]) at the bottom which makes it easier to gain a commercial license (like the one that RoosterTeeth and Machinima have).

Believe it or not Microsoft has always had two rules about their games.

1. You can create anything you want as long as you don't profit monetarily from it.

2. If you want to profit monetarily from it you have to get a license.

The reason for this is quite simple. If they want to brag about how creative their community is, they want to be able to share user created content without going through the hassle of contacting the user and without the risk of a lawsuit. They also want to stop things like "Give me five dollars for a download link to my map".

In short, the only thing that has changed about the User Created Content Usage rules is that they added an email at the bottom that makes it easier to get a license from Microsoft.

• Like 1

So where does machinima and stand on this, even more on that thought what about Rooster Teeth? They have a partnership with youtube and they make money of halo content, so does this apply to them or what?

Again, the only change is that they added an email. Everything else has been the same for over a year now, nearly two at the very least. Probably more than that. Also, if you had read my post, you would know that Rooster Teeth and other successful Machinima companies have licenses (which they got by contacting Microsoft directly, which is what the email will allow YOU to do if you'd like).

Rooster teeth is a Licenced Company that is given the rights to use Halo content. Rooster Teeth pays a very small royalty fee to microsoft for everything they sell in regards to Halo content.

Now, HaloReachTutor is complete ******* moron. He has no idea what he is talking about, or how these intillectual property Rights apply to us basic guys. His video is only showcasing extreme circumstances and truly goes on to show how stupid this guy really is. Microsoft has always had "User Content" rules, just as every other franchise on the planet. While yes it is easy to mis-interpret the rules or not completely understand them, but to go onto saying that these rules have a negative effect on the franchise is bogus. As Director stated, the rules have not changed at all, they simply just updated them to make it easier for people to obtain a proper licence so they "can" legally make a small amount fo money for Halo content.

I hate to say it, but this again is another example of how a select few, ruin and completely derail the community in their quest for proper understanding of rules and how to conduct themselves.

• Like 2

Rooster teeth is a Licenced Company that is given the rights to use Halo content. Rooster Teeth pays a very small royalty fee to microsoft for everything they sell in regards to Halo content.

Now, HaloReachTutor is complete ******* moron. He has no idea what he is talking about, or how these intillectual property Rights apply to us basic guys. His video is only showcasing extreme circumstances and truly goes on to show how stupid this guy really is. Microsoft has always had "User Content" rules, just as every other franchise on the planet. While yes it is easy to mis-interpret the rules or not completely understand them, but to go onto saying that these rules have a negative effect on the franchise is bogus. As Director stated, the rules have not changed at all, they simply just updated them to make it easier for people to obtain a proper licence so they "can" legally make a small amount fo money for Halo content.

I hate to say it, but this again is another example of how a select few, ruin and completely derail the community in their quest for proper understanding of rules and how to conduct themselves.

I hate to derail the hate-train, but what exactly is new about this? The game content usage rules are the exact same as the last time I checked them (January 1, 2011) except for an email address ([email protected]) at the bottom which makes it easier to gain a commercial license (like the one that RoosterTeeth and Machinima have).

Believe it or not Microsoft has always had two rules about their games.

1. You can create anything you want as long as you don't profit monetarily from it.

2. If you want to profit monetarily from it you have to get a license.

The reason for this is quite simple. If they want to brag about how creative their community is, they want to be able to share user created content without going through the hassle of contacting the user and without the risk of a lawsuit. They also want to stop things like "Give me five dollars for a download link to my map".

In short, the only thing that has changed about the User Created Content Usage rules is that they added an email at the bottom that makes it easier to get a license from Microsoft.

Well you guys would be right i just thought by the war haloreachtutor was saying it he would be right