The Director's Lesser Known Games Volume 1 (with intro)

The Director

Introduction:

Pretty much what this is going to be is me telling you about some good games that you might not have even heard of. I'll try to do these as often as possible, but no promises. Maybe bi-monthly, maybe monthly. Here's how it will work. I'll tell you what platform it's for (Computer, Xbox, PS3, and whatnot) then I'll rate it (1-10 with 1 being a stinker and ten being impossible because I'm VERY picky), and then I'll tell you what the game is about. Alright, now on to the first game. :D

Mount and Blade (Warband)

Platform: Computer

The Director's Rating: 9/10 (-1 for graphics, they aren't as good as they probably could have been, but what do I know?)

This is technically a two for one, because Warband is an expansion of sorts. The original game was released "Mount and Blade" and featured some really cool gameplay styles. Firstly, it's an RPG. But it's probably unlike any RPG you've ever played. It's set in medieval times, you have character customization, and you can select your characters "backstory" which effects just about everything you start out with in the game. It is non-linear, and you can do nearly anything you want to do. See a village who's name you don't like? Burn it. A king being kind of an arse to you? Go to war with him and steal his kingdom. You get to hire troops, followers (aka generals), and even take prisoners if you feel so inclined. This game is amazing.

Combat: The combat in this game is set in third person (but you can go to first person if you'd like) and features melee, ranged, and cavalry attacks. That's right, you can fight on a horse. How cool is that? Really cool, that's how cool.

Weapons/armor: The weapons in this game are varied. There are multiple types of melee weapons with different effects (like bonuses against armor or shields), multiple types of shields, multiple armors, etc. This game has the most varied arsenal I've personally ever seen. The weapons range from swords to lances, from arrows to javelins, the list goes on. You can equip up to 4 different types of weapons (3 if you equip a shield). Oh? You're wondering about the lances? That's right, you can act like a knight and joust people. Awesome, right?

Horses: They have several different types of horses in this game that are suited for different play-styles. You plan on being that guy who charges head on into the enemy on your horse? Get yourself an armored one. Are you more interested in speed? Grab yourself a fast one. You want a fast horse that can take some hits? They've got that too!

Map Movement: The map movement is similar to how you move troops in strategy games. It's eagle view, and you click to travel. When you get to your destination, the game pauses automatically so time doesn't pass while you are deciding where to go next. Worried about not finding anyone to fight with? Don't be. There are raiders and such wandering around the map looking for fools to take their gold. Worried about fighting too much? Get a large enough amount of troops with you and they will flee in terror before your might.

Skills: EVERYTHING in the game is based on what skills you have (and don't have). From combat to movement speed on the world map, I'm not exaggerating when I say that if you can do it (except cheat) then there is a skill for it.

Synopsis: This game is VERY in depth. There is almost no limit to how you play it. Want to become a king? You can do it. Want to be a lord? You can do it. Want to be a wandering mercenary? You can do it. I've spent days and days at a time on this game, and I have yet to repeat an experience (except the dialogue, it can be repetitive just like any game). The game is open ended, non-linear, and very very good. Oh, and did I mention there are cheat codes? Which makes it even more fun.

The Director's Recommendation: Get this game. You can get it on Steam (or just google search Mount and Blade Warband and see what you come up with

;) ). It's a relatively cheap game for how much time was obviously spent in making it. I also recommend getting Mount and Blade Warband instead of the regular Mount and Blade, because as I said before Warband is sort of an expansion. Put it this way. Mount and Blade is the original game, M&B Warband is the game with all of the DLC. :D

That wraps up the first of these. If you have a recommendation for a game that I should review, then let me know in the comments (I follow all of my threads ;D). Remember though, if it's a hyped up game then I won't do it. "Lesser Known" is in the title after all. Hope you enjoy your time in the world of games.

Update: New Menu thread. Check it out! :D http://www.343industries.org/forum/topic/8342-the-directors-lesser-known-games-menu/

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I know this thread is old, but i can't deny to post for one of my favourites PC games.

That

Game

Is

Amazing.

Everything The Director said is right, and i may recommend it also for its MODs. Want a game like this but on Star Wars? You can. I have the Europe 1200 A.D. mod installed right now, and it's amazing, it's like Medieval 2 Total War plus you can go directly in battle.