Halo 2s Ranking System Misconseption

Frenzy

Alot of players think they know exactly how Halo 2s ranking system but most of them are wrong... The formula is on bungies website and you can find it there but this is a simpler way to view the old Halo 2 ranking system and why it was so hard to get a much desired 50 on it.

Hypothetically if you were to win every game in a row against players the SAME rank as you the rankings would go alittle somthing like this.

1 - 13 (1 win)

13 - 25 (2 wins)

25 - 37 (3 wins)

38 - 45 (4 wins)

45 (5 - 6 wins)

46 - 49 (6- 8 wins)

50(7 - 9 wins)

There are ways to rank up faster and slower it just depends who youre vsing (such as if youre a 35 matching a 50 and say you win you will rank up in 2 wins against him but if you are a level 45 and youre vsing level 34s then it will take like 7 wins to rank up)

Now you may have read the first part and thought hmmm winning that many games in a row isnt that hard and besides if I lose it couldnt be that bad for me.... right? Sounds like an easy 50 for me! Well, youre wrong.

The losses arent such a big issue until you reach the mid 30s and on up it gets harder from there.

Hypothetically you are a level 48 who is going to rank up to a 49 in one or two games, you lose one and now you have to win at least 3 more to rank up you lose another and youre now in the what I liked to call "The Hole". The hole is the worst place you EVER want to be because getting in was the easy part getting out is rediculously hard. Now that you have enterd the hole at this high of a rank (48) you will have to win at least 3 games in a row to get out and if you lose another game you could go down as low as to a 45, but say you win two and youre almost out and you lose another, youre down to a level 46 or 47 now and you have to win another 5 games to rank back up... This is why Halo 2s ranking system only allowed the best to reach the higher ranks (45s, 50s etc) because losses actually did somthing! Oh and another reason why I called it the hole was because on bungie you could see how close you were to ranking up like it showed your exp bar and if you had no exp on your rank then that was the hole!

Another hypothetical situation is say you are a level 15 and you have won a game on it and you should be a 16 next game.... well you lose one (ah thats too bad!) and now sometimes all you need to do is just win one and you will go up to a 16 or just win another one to get to a 16 but you would have more exp on your 16 making you closer to a 17 if that makes sense.

Conclusion: The best way to rank up in Halo 2 is to CONSISTANTLY WIN! There was almost no room for losses especially in the higher ranks (35+) Thats what made the ranks all the more rewarding and desirable. That and the way they looked if you want to see what they looked like just google it!

The reason why I made this thread was because people always looked at the Halo 2s ranking system as a challenge (because it was) but didnt know how it went most of the posts I see about it around the web have people say that if you lost one then you had to win 2 more to rank up or you had to win or you ranked down you ranked up after every win (difinatley not true unless they're talking about ranks 1 - 12) Also I think I have some credibility to what im saying here because I was a level 48 in Halo 2 and understood the rankings well.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo2.aspx?gameid=802957939&player=thee%20frenzy

Please discuss below

To clear some things up here. First of all if you were a 48 post a link off of bungie of a game where you played as a 48. I find that very hard to believe that you got that 48 LEGIT. I reached a 43 in snipers and a 40 in slayer and if you want I can prove it to you.

As for your post, I agree the ranks were more rewarding and desirable. Also you should have mentioned the range of levels people could match. I dont remember them all but I remember the last range of levels was from 36-50, meaning that if you had even 1 person on your team that was a 36 you could match people in that range. But if you were a 36 and you searched with low levels, you were more likely to match people in the 31-33 range, which gives you less exp for a win, but a better chance of winning seeing you are probably playing worse players.

I didnt like that ranking system because if you lost a game you would lose a level

A ranking system that you can only go up in shouldnt be called a ranking system, because your not getting ranked, you are getting points for simply playing more than others. Halo should have never gone to this system, this is what Call of duty does and thats how it should stay.

• Like 1

There is a link at the bottom of the post showing my 48 legit

Actually you boosted from level 41-45. Maybe if you would have admitted you boosted I would have respected you but instead you post yourself playing as a 48. Regardless if you can win games as a 45, you have some skills, even though you can match the same people you were playing as a 41.

Look everyone had some sort of desire to cheat to gain levels. Dont lie and say you didnt cheat when there is evidence for the world to see that you did. Ill admit I played a 2-3 games with a modder on my team and I even boosted 1 or 2 levels. It happens.