The Halo 4 Trailer Mystery Weapon

firedune22

There has only been one confirmed weapon that is to be feaured in Halo 4 that has been seen so far. No one's quite sure what exactly what it is, but I believe I have just figure out what exactly it is, what it does, and what the likely gameplay mechanics of it are.

So, let's start with what we know:

-It's obviously a human weapon

-It fires some kind of external round that explodes rather violently.

-it's pretty small, about the size of a pistol

-Chief reloads it by popping on another round on the muzzle of the gun

-It only fired once before it has to reload

-The round DOES NOT explodes when hitting a wall, instead it Sticks to the door and detonates when stuck.

-Chief only fires it WITH ONE HAND. look VERY closely

Now by looking very closely at the Trailer, i've likely deduced what all these factors mean to gameplay.

The mere fact that it's a ballistic-based human weapon means that we'll likely be able to reload it, and once it runs out of ammo, requres you to scour around for ammo. This meant that something else is running around with this weapon, likely other humans. Now whether or not you'll have to kill them for it is another thing altogether.

Now, i'll combine the second and third known facts to hypothesize the likely power and useage of the weapon. Since this weapon explodes, it must be pretty powerful, meaning it likely has low ammo, and takes a while to reload and get off another shot. The weapon itself is only the size of a pistol though, what gives? The pistol itself is a sidearm, so the Mystery Weapon itself is likely also a sidearm. And let's face it, an explosive sidearm has never been implemented before, and sounds like a great idea. Considering the fact that projectile explodes, and yet is a sidearm, it's extremly like that it is in fact, NOT a one-shot kill weapon, [unless stuck, i'll get to that later] and does limited area damage. The fact that No EMP effect is seen reinforces the thought that is a sidearm, and does not have as much range as a rifle, or do as much damage as a heavy weapon. Imagine a Reach Grenade Launcher in which the round does not bounce (instead sticks) , only kills on a direct hit, and has no EMP effect.

The forth and fifth known facts are almost the same, but they mean two different things. First of all, The Chief puts another round on the FRONT of the gun, meaning that it is, in no way, clip fed. In other words, it's not a pistol, and it's certainly not a pistol attatchment. You get one shot, and one shot only. The reload sequence shown is likely much longer in the trailer than in the game, for dramatization purposes. Chief likely just smacks down the top, and slips on another round. If the speed of his actions is accurate, that gives it about a reload about as long as the Reach Grenade Launcher. A resonable length for an explosive weapon.

The sixth fact shows us that it has an ability to stick to surfaces, much like the plasma launcher. You must pay EXTREMLY close attention to notice this. You can see this right before the very moment the "beep" is heard, and you will see a yellow-orange dot that wasn't there before and explodes. There is also a "beep" once the round had stuck, possibly indicating that the charge is armed and is ready to detonate (and alerting other players that something's been stuck, and it's time to get out of there). The apparent speed the round travels gives it an approximate "golden range" of where most DMR battles take place and is likely very accurate at that range. This is offset by the fact that if the weilder misses the first shot, there is an ample window of opportunity to close in, and kill the weilder before they have a chance to fire another shot.

Now, what I consider to be the most interesting fact is that, if you look very closely, you can see that the chief fires the Mystery Weapon with one hand. This is pure speculation, but it could mean that the weapon is dual-weildable. This, coulpled with the fact that there were several of the other weapons floating about, might reinforce the suggestion that dual-weilding may be back. --------------------------------- If the Mystery weapon were to be dual-weilded, you would have 2 shots available increasing the incentive to go and find another Mystery Weapon. Reload times should be longer for both sets by a bit, to offset the increase in shots available at any given time. I'm just suggesting it's back, not that it would be good.

Anyway, The Concluded traits of the new weapon are that it: is an explosive sidearm able to kill in 1 hit if stuck, sticks to other surfaces and likely vehicles, deals moderate-heavy damage if stuck to vehicles ans other players and has low-medium splash damage . It reloads quickly enough to match an AR at just beyond it's golden range, and challenge the coming "utility rifle" at it's closest "golden range". but long enough to be balanced. There is also the possibliliy of it being dual-weildable.

The round is also loaded onto a series of 2 adjacent rails, and one lower rail,

Original speculation idea goes to firedune22 (me)

• Like 3

Maybe a unsc version of a plasma pistol?

Nooo.... its not a pistol. Besides, the UNSC version of the plasma pistol is... well, the pistol. The Magnum is essentially their version of the plasma pistol. Its more of a missle/grenade shooting weapon. We'll have to just wait and see what it turns out to be.

• 2 weeks later...