Halo Will Leap Xbox One Into a Lead, Not Titanfall.

Ghost Recon

Halo Will Leap Xbox One Into a Lead, Not Titanfall.

Source:  http://kokugamer.com/2014/03/10/halo-will-leap-xbox-one-into-a-lead-not-titanfall/

It is common sense in any industry, if you have a quality product that has done nothing short of improve year after year or game after game those dedicated to your product will always follow you.   In the case of Microsoft gaming console it has been the Halo franchise.  You’ll recall that back in 2001 when the Xbox was trailing all the game consoles in sales some thought that we would not see the big black console survive its first year on the market.

It didn’t have a strong line up of games, the games released for the system were not triple AAA titles and didn’t have any kind of wow factor about them.  Soon after the launch of the original Xbox Microsoft released Halo: Combat Evolved, to Microsoft’s surprise the game sold over a million copies very quickly and became a cultural phenom in the gaming industry.  I remember putting together LAN parties with my buddies and playing the game for hours on end, it seems it never got old.  Than couple of years later Halo 2 was announced as we all gathered around the television to witness what would be one of the most popular online multiplayer games to come in a decade.

When the Xbox 360 released Halo 3 came along and just like with Halo 2 we were impressed once more with what Bungie has done.  The community logged in millions of hours of online gaming and the madness continued.  Unlike for the original Xbox, the Xbox 360 seemed to have done well right away, it had a great line up of games at launch and we were introduced to Gears of War, which made it two games to look forward to on the system Gears of War sequels as well as Halo games to come, it also helped knowing that Bungie and Epic had lot in mind for the system, so the future of the Xbox 360 looked very bright.  Now nearly a decade later after the Xbox 360 and the PS3 have been released it all feels like starting all over again.  While the Playstation 4 has without a doubt outsold the Xbox one 3 to 1 roughly and please do not quote me on this, there is concern for Microsoft and the future of their console with some analysts and even a couple of their investors pressuring the software giant to cut their gaming and entertainment division because of the lack of profit.  There is no need for concern people, the Xbox One is not going anywhere and developer 343 Industries with the Halo franchise will be the key.

Do I think that Titanfall will help the Xbox One sell more consoles? Absolutely, it is already proving to be helping with sales helping sell over a million in the last month and a half along with pre-orders of the game.  While that’s great it is not good enough and will take a lot more to put the Xbox One ahead of Sony’s Playstation 4 and Nintendo’s Wii U.  Titanfall will be a great addition for the Xbox and the new blockbuster title on the Xbox brand without a doubt, but that will come with the age of the console just as it did with Gears of War.  The Halo franchise is an established well-known brand with backing of some amazing marketing, it got many gamers excited about the Xbox One.  Last year’s E3 announcement of the next trilogy in the Halo franchise got many journalists and gamers alike looking forward to seeing the future of the console and many I have spoken to in various retail stores are even holding on until the release of Halo is announced before purchasing a Xbox One.

A lot of consumers shared their feelings about Titanfalls mech-firstperson shooter mix, most popular reason I hear is the disadventage of controlling a mech against a user without one.  A lot of those users of course never tried the game out for them selves and I think once able to play the game their opinion will change.  As I have said earlier, I do believe with great marketing and positive reviews from various outlets will help spread the word of what a great product Titanfall will be, but it has ways to go to prove its self as a contender to some of the best games in recent generations.  Halo is something many of us are familiar with and have trusted for years now, we know what to expect and have always been given a great product.  This is not coming from a Halo fanatatic in anyway, I am more of a Killzone, Call of Duty player rather than Halo, but I cannot dismiss the fact that they are sub-par games comparing to what Bungie and 343 Industries have done with the Halo franchise over the years.  Of course it helps that unlike Call of Duty, Halo is not a yearly release.

Of course for gamers like us numbers don’t matter, we play the games and let financial companies discuss sales and future predictions, whether you own a Playstation or an Xbox products the future is a bright one.  There are many games coming out this year that will give us plenty of choices, we will go where the best games are offered.  What one gamer likes doesn’t mean the other does.  I have been holding off on buying a Playstation 4 until the next Naughty Dog game is released.  Just like 343 Industries and Bungie, my love for Naughty Dog has been around since day one, it was purely the determining factor of my Playstation 3 purchase last generation.  We don’t need to wait for the next Halo game or Uncharted game to continue being gamers there is plenty of great games coming up like Watch Dogs and Destiny heavily based on multiplayer that will consume us for hundreds of hours.  I am very excited about whats to come for this new generation of gaming.

• Like 2

"It didn’t have a strong line up of games, the games released for the system were not triple AAA titles and didn’t have any kind of wow factor about them. Soon after the launch of the original Xbox Microsoft released Halo: Combat Evolved, to Microsoft’s surprise the game sold over a million copies very quickly and became a cultural phenom in the gaming industry."

The Xbox launched with Halo and was immediately the go to game on the Xbox.  The original Xbox also launched with DOA3 which at the time received high praise from the media.

"Unlike for the original Xbox, the Xbox 360 seemed to have done well right away, it had a great line up of games at launch and we were introduced to Gears of War,"

Gears launched a full year after the 360.  The 360 launch lineup consisted of ported over games (COD2 and Quake 4) and Rare's IPs (Perfect Dark Zero, Kameo)

The truth is, the Xbox stuggled in sales because it launched a year behind the fastest selling console of all time (the PS2) and conversely the 360 sold well becasue it got to market a full year before the PS3. 

• Like 1