Adjustable dimensions in forge

Kurt S-501

Ok. I have mentioned this idea in a few post but only briefly. I want to go more in depth here. Adjustible dimensions would improve forge drastically. Basically, adjustable dimensions would be having the ability to customize the hight, length, and width of an object. Let's start with a block. Instead of having a list of various blocks, there would just be a few designs, but the dimensions would be customizable. Say we had a 'glass cover' piece. We were trying to make a window that covers a large space. The piece itself already has set dimensions. So the player would have to use two or just not have a window. If we could adjust the deminsions, we could adjust the glass to fit the space. But there would be a limit as to how large the player could make the object. Now this would only work with structural prices. Or at least it would be only practical with structural pieces. Although it would be cool to have a giant fusion coil!

Agree or disagree. If you disagree, please tell me why. Feel free to post your ideas on how to improve on this idea.

Thanks!

Perfect idea! lovin it. plus you would then use less objects in forge. this would be the best forge fix IMO. this needs to happen. would make forging perfect. you could have perfect uniformity along your map or forge art or whatever you create.

Agreed. It would help with budget issues. With adjustible pieces we could use less objects, and thus, less money.

Destroyable object

good idea. there already are some rumors about destroyable objects, i don't like the idea, but if there was an option to have a certain object destroyable that would be awesome. it would work for living dead. like the zombies have to break in to room with 6 humans waiting on the other side.

I agree with the concept but pulling it off would be no fun in any way for the developer. While it may seem simple, there are many vertices, faces and edges that the engine would have to calculate to make fully scalable items without any type of aspect lock. It's one thing to just adjust the scale of an item, but it is a completely seperate beast to be able to adjust different isolated sections of geometry. Having something like this would resemble a 3d application blended with the Sapien object placing tool. Both would be way to memory consuming for a console to pull off viably. But then again with the advancement in the MegaloScript engine and or any other direction 343 decides to head in engine wise...it may be possible. Though i dont sensibly see it being available on the current hardware limitations of the 360.

Overall very good concept. It would definatly add to the Forge experience and really give forgers a new dimension of playability. What are your thoughts on a Forge type variant involving certain aspects of the campaign?

This has been clearly talked about in the "Forge Thread". When you read it through entirely you see it talked about in detail.

I am not trying to spam my idea, but this is my post under the pinned topic:

I would love to see improvements in forge and the incorporation of maps into the play lists. I do not want to see them become a DLC because of the obvious reasons.

One being the producer of the game will make money on a map they did not create or pay for.

Two, I feel the maps from the community should possibly have a playlist, say once a month and on a weekend, were player can go into matchmaking on them and vote on the map after a certain number of game have been played on it. Maybe it would be possible in this playlist to force single players into matchmaking there by making it easier for the system to place the players on the maps needed to vote. Once you have earned the status of voting on all maps you are released into group matchmaking status that allow groups to play together and select from a set number of maps. After it is determined by the those in charge of the game which maps are viable, voting weighing a notable part, drop them into a community forge playlist. As the votes for the maps continue by the community playing them, they could be incorporate into the regular play lists. It would help to ensure play ability of the maps and bring new maps into regular multiplay on a sustained basis.

Third, the addition of wreckage and/or "inert" ships and vehicles that would give more texture and color to an environment would be a very nice touch. It may be possible as the game is being developed certain items from the campaign or multiplayer maps could be rendered for forge while they are in creation.

Lastly, if does continue in Halo 4, it would be nice to be able to have a color pallet for the forge items, were applicable, and even the ability to make the shapes have a stone, wood, metal or natural finish. There are geometric shapes that can be added to give more range to the structure, maybe themselves having thickness and/or dimensional properties that are adjustable. The same could be applied to elements such as trees, waterfalls, and possibly a localized fog or steam. I realize that items that show movement are much trickier to implement, but who knows what is possible on a limited scale.

Not much really needs to be added to forge to improve it. Since forge has become so widely used and incorporated into the game, I would be willing to pay extra for a "Special Edition" of the game that brought us more flexibility in forge world. If there is an effort to keep forge in mind while items and pieces of the game is being created, it may be there that more can be given to our beloved forge world. Giving us more may ultimately increase the life span of Halo 4 and keep the play lists fresh with new maps, which is always a plus.

One additional thought. Possibly offer different environmental platforms such as an urban, jungle, mountainous, and areas similar to the actual campaign part of the game environment to build off of.

This has been clearly talked about in the "Forge Thread". When you read it through entirely you see it talked about in detail.

I am not trying to spam my idea, but this is my post under the pinned topic:

I would love to see improvements in forge and the incorporation of maps into the play lists. I do not want to see them become a DLC because of the obvious reasons.

One being the producer of the game will make money on a map they did not create or pay for.

Two, I feel the maps from the community should possibly have a playlist, say once a month and on a weekend, were player can go into matchmaking on them and vote on the map after a certain number of game have been played on it. Maybe it would be possible in this playlist to force single players into matchmaking there by making it easier for the system to place the players on the maps needed to vote. Once you have earned the status of voting on all maps you are released into group matchmaking status that allow groups to play together and select from a set number of maps. After it is determined by the those in charge of the game which maps are viable, voting weighing a notable part, drop them into a community forge playlist. As the votes for the maps continue by the community playing them, they could be incorporate into the regular play lists. It would help to ensure play ability of the maps and bring new maps into regular multiplay on a sustained basis.

Third, the addition of wreckage and/or "inert" ships and vehicles that would give more texture and color to an environment would be a very nice touch. It may be possible as the game is being developed certain items from the campaign or multiplayer maps could be rendered for forge while they are in creation.

Lastly, if does continue in Halo 4, it would be nice to be able to have a color pallet for the forge items, were applicable, and even the ability to make the shapes have a stone, wood, metal or natural finish. There are geometric shapes that can be added to give more range to the structure, maybe themselves having thickness and/or dimensional properties that are adjustable. The same could be applied to elements such as trees, waterfalls, and possibly a localized fog or steam. I realize that items that show movement are much trickier to implement, but who knows what is possible on a limited scale.

Not much really needs to be added to forge to improve it. Since forge has become so widely used and incorporated into the game, I would be willing to pay extra for a "Special Edition" of the game that brought us more flexibility in forge world. If there is an effort to keep forge in mind while items and pieces of the game is being created, it may be there that more can be given to our beloved forge world. Giving us more may ultimately increase the life span of Halo 4 and keep the play lists fresh with new maps, which is always a plus.

One additional thought. Possibly offer different environmental platforms such as an urban, jungle, mountainous, and areas similar to the actual campaign part of the game environment to build off of.

My apologies. I didn't know this was posted before. And I do like your idea of adjustable fog or mist. That would be sweet for infection maps.

That would be great. I'm sick of having pieces that are shaped weird (ex. Window, Colosseum). I want to be able to makes things look good and not have to the same, boring grey blocks everyone else uses, and not have to overlap items to make them square.