New xp and rank system for halo 4.

gollum385

Does this sound like a good system?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Does this sound like a good system?

• Sounds perfect, definately would be a great system for halo 4.
    • Sounds pretty good, a bit of tweaking and it will be awesome.
    • sounds ok, not sure if it would be as good as previous systems though (which?)
    • Doesn't sound great, maybe with a big of work it could be a good system.
    • Sounds awful.

There is a fundamental flaw in all ranking systems.

You can rank a team OR a player, however in online gaming you are not limited to playing for one team, so ranking the team is not going to work. If you base the player rating on the actions of the team, or based on the ranking of the other team, you open the door to multi account and deranking.

These both throw off the system, and if a large enough population practices this, the entire system breaks down.

Personally, I think the best way to pull it off is going ultra simple.

Win a game, go up a rank, lose a game, go down a rank. Screw this 50, go to 100. Tweak trueskill and let it do it's thing behind the scenes to try to get the best quality matches it can, and DON'T tell people how it works. Once the formula is revealed, someone will figure out how to exploit it, and then publish that information for the world to see. What you have then is a break down in the system like we have seen in all previous Halo titles. So here are the bullet points:

Rank is Global. If you are a 90, you are a 90 across ALL playlists. This means you can't purchase a 100 account in doubles and then not play on it.

Keep the H3 experience "rank" system for each playlist

Hide the trueskill formula

Simplify the ranking system

In closing, the "top" rank should be reserved for a handful of players, worldwide. I'm sorry if little Johnny thinks he should be a 100, he is only a 45 for a reason. Time to grow up and realize we can't all be winners and the losing team does not get a trophy for trying...

-KI

There is a fundamental flaw in all ranking systems.

You can rank a team OR a player, however in online gaming you are not limited to playing for one team, so ranking the team is not going to work. If you base the player rating on the actions of the team, or based on the ranking of the other team, you open the door to multi account and deranking.

These both throw off the system, and if a large enough population practices this, the entire system breaks down.

Personally, I think the best way to pull it off is going ultra simple.

Win a game, go up a rank, lose a game, go down a rank. Screw this 50, go to 100. Tweak trueskill and let it do it's thing behind the scenes to try to get the best quality matches it can, and DON'T tell people how it works. Once the formula is revealed, someone will figure out how to exploit it, and then publish that information for the world to see. What you have then is a break down in the system like we have seen in all previous Halo titles. So here are the bullet points:

Rank is Global. If you are a 90, you are a 90 across ALL playlists. This means you can't purchase a 100 account in doubles and then not play on it.

Keep the H3 experience "rank" system for each playlist

Hide the trueskill formula

Simplify the ranking system

In closing, the "top" rank should be reserved for a handful of players, worldwide. I'm sorry if little Johnny thinks he should be a 100, he is only a 45 for a reason. Time to grow up and realize we can't all be winners and the losing team does not get a trophy for trying...

-KI

in a nutshell this, match players of similar rank bingo perfection

in a nutshell this, match players of similar rank bingo perfection

Actually... The more I think about it, the less I think this will work...

I have won over 100 games more than I have lost... All that tells me is that I am better than a 50% player, which would make me well, average... (throws temper tantrum.... just kidding)

Perhaps a better scale would be on % of wins.

Where I think a lot of people get confused is what trueskill *should* be doing, and that is gauging a players skill in order to match them against similar players. A lot of people that I have communicated with on this topic over a myriad of mediums would always think that a "50" in H3 was something to "achieve". This led to a lot of people who can not seem to handle that they are not the best in the world at something going to extremes to reach this goal.

So, to recap:

1-100 scale based on win percentage, you could even reverse it... start at 100 and try to be 1... That gets into psychology though... not my forte...

Keep trueskill hidden

Trueskill would be based on a formula that evaluated your overall contribution to your team.

Keep H3 playlist "rank" based on number of wins in a playlist

Make rank global

-KI

I get the same feeling as I did when Bungie got all excited over Reach's ranking system: "why fix what isn't broken?"

H3's system worked just fine as it was. The only issue was deranking/boosting, the first of which can be fixed with Reach's ban system and the second of which can be fixed by limiting the number of games which trueskill counts towards (for example, last 500 or so).

But in any case, my point isn't to argue about the old system, but rather to point out that if you actually want people to care about your idea, you first have to tell them why it's necessary.

Probably more than 80% of people will read the first sentence and think, "waste of time, just use H3 or H2 system. Keep it simple."

If you expect a serious response, you should give a reason for people to want to read it in the first place. Large reports generally start out with a problem statement for a reason.

Just some constructive feedback which I hope you consider, rather than simply get offended that someone doesn't agree.

Secondly, I completely disagree with ranks being global. Why should I be matched up with a SWAT 50 when I'm playing TS or MLG?

It's a very different skillset and SWAT-only generals are 99% garbage.

Likewise, even though I have a LW50/TS48, I have absolutely NO illusions that I would be able to keep up in snipers. Hell, it wouldn't even be fun because I know the snipers kids would wreck me. I'd be more like a colonel in there...