gollum385

Do you like the sound of this idea  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the sound of this idea

• This idea is great, would be great to refresh halo matchmaking
    • This idea is ok, but needs some work
    • Wouldn't be fussed either way
    • This idea isn't great, but could be made better
    • This idea is rubbish, me hates those apes!

Halo reach did something very unique; it made elites different from spartans not only in their appearance, but also in their physical attributes. Whilst I feel this was mainly negative, as it stopped you being able to choose which you were, It did give me a few ideas.

In halo 4, proper spartan 2's will return, and therefore will be the same size as elites. I'm pretty sure brutes are also a similar size to these, and so all could function in multiplayer. But what if you could carry on the bungie idea of them being different.

This would be done by making all base statistics, shield size health size melee damage, speed jumpheight etc changeable. If this was the case, they could all be exactly the same, or if people wanted to there could be differences between them, whether balanced or not.

Ideas could include making elites slightly faster, but unable to jump as high, brutes the opposite, and spartans inbetween.

Differences to their melee damage could also come into play (giving brutes a higher and spartan lower damages) but as a compensation, the speed of spartans beatdowns is slightly quicker.

spartans could have more shield than elies and brutes, but less health, and brutes more health, but less shields than them. This could mean spartans when they lose their shields are 1 shot, but it takes a bit more damage to get there, whilst brutes may be 2 shots once their shields pop, but of coruse they pop faster.

I think that the halo reach armoury system was quite cool, and wouldnt mind seeing it return. What i didn't like about it was that basically if you got the more expensive things, it basically made your spartan look more chunky. I think it would also be cool to get elites and brutes which you could customise, seeing as throughout the games brutes and elites have had many different looks.

Another possible idea is to have loads of playable characters, such as being grunts, jackals etc. and from the other side like a marine, the return of the odst, and even a spartan 3. Gears of war 3 has currently produced a new horde mode wherby the player plays as the locust. Many a gametype could come about from being able to play as other characters.

Any ideas people have about playable characters they'd like to play as, how to make the 3 main species really play well against eachother, or any amazing gametypes that could come from all 3 of them (3 way battles). Even if the ideas to make them different from eachother aren't great, i would love to be able to play as brutes and elites and spartans if they were all balanced.

Nice to see people generally approve of this idea. Is there anything people think would have to be done for it to be successful, or gametypes that would benefit from it. What do people think of other playable characters, like jackals marines (maybe even hunters) for unique playlists.

I think it would be a cool idea but idk about matchmaking, maybe for like custom games or sumthin ya know? And you could choose which covenant person you wanted to be so like a grunt or a jackel or even a hunter but only in a certain kinda of game type. Kinda like how Gears of war 3 it doing this thing called "Beast mode" where you can be different types of aliens. Idk just a kinda idea im throwin out there :P BUT! you should be able to customize your halo character like in previous halo's OR you also have the option of being a character from previous halo's as well. Customization has always been one of my favorite thing's about video games, its kinda like a way for us to represent our selvs and show that we're different. Again, im just throwin crap out there :P

The idea of adding even more characters to choose from in multiplayer matchmaking makes me a little iffy. I like the basic idea but the concept of having the choice of all the different characters at all times in matchmaking would not go well together. I can understand Spartans v Elites where all attributes are the same, mabey even more characters if all were even, but having certain skills reign over others would not cope well with the community. Custom forge maps (if (in great hope) forge returns) could also be designed around the fact of different characters. For instance, one team of many players could run around as Grunts as where another team of one player is a Hunter who's goal is to stomp the grunts like bugs, appropriately named, infestation. But that is just one of many ideas

On another note, i like the idea of the horde type gameplay idea, but more as in the Left 4 Dead game play or the Dead Space 2 whereas one team is Spartans and the opposing team is Grunts, Elites, Brutes, Hunters etc. and vice versa. I have much more ideas and opinions and this and many more subjects so if you are to have the convenience, I would greatly appreciate it if you contact me at [email protected]. Thank you for your time

-Devin

Thanks for the comments. I'd like to point out that playable characters such as grunts jackals hunters would only be for specific gametypes, not all matchmaking.

For general matchmaking i am saying that aswell as a return of elites and spartans, brutes, who are a similar size etc should also be playable.

Maybe this would be for all gametypes, and they are all identical, or just slight differences which might make them play slightly differently but fairly (depends on what people would prefer).

It could also be in a similar style to halo reach, where you only play as one type in a team.

Personally I like the idea of species specific gametypes, and giving them differences if necessary, like invasion in halo reach, but i also like the general gameplay having different characters too, like halo 3 rather than halo reach.

Glad people generally agree that a changeup like this would be welcome in matchmaking, although it may need a few tweaks from my ideas to be really good.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what those things would be? (aimed at people who voted saying it could be good if tweaks solved)

i like it. machmaking would feel like a war. in war everyone isnt equel everyone has edges and weaknesses. plus it would diversifie gameplay. amagin an invasion like the spire elite vs spartan and then a slip space rupture and brutes come attacing every one making it that much more interesting. and i allways wanted an infextion where you we actualy infected. and when you are killed by an infected and you are a marien you go to thered pesone like when you are wating to respone but you see your self get infected and respone right there. nowi would love i mean LOVE that and playing as diferent caricteers cuz its not just the elites and spartens who make the war. also an invasion where both sides attaced and defended at the same time would be cool. but thats for somewhere else love the idea. and tell me what you think of mine

Thanks kamkid for you comments and ideas. Glad you like my idea so much. I agree that i'd like to see all 3 in matchmkaing, whether they be completely the same, or slightly different, but balanced (unlike elite and spartans in reach). The idea of infection involving the flood does seem appealing from a graphical perspective, maybe it would add to the suspense if you hear the scream of the flood when the zombies get closer to you?

I also agree that spartans and elites aren't the only guys in the war. I think you have to be careful, as elites spartans, and brutes are veyr equal in size and physical characteristics (roughly) in comparison to other characters. So i agree it would be cool to have odst, marines, hunters, grunts etc being playable for some gametypes/playlists, but make sure for most of them the normal 2 (hopefully 3) are the only options.

Just another idea, would people like the idea of being able to play as heretic elites, or flood in matchmaking too? Obviously these would be similar in characteristics too brutes, elites and spartans, but again would lead to different looks, and possibly customiseable options, or balanced tweaks between them. Would again be cool for gametypes, especially if you could specify what are allowed in a game or on a team (ie covenant vs heretics, all vs the spartans, flood vs brutes etc)

Thanks for the comments. Is there any reason why you don't think they would work in multiplayer then (just assuming brutes here).

What sort of tweaking do you refer to? I think there size is similar, so assuming all stats were the same it woiuld just be the brutes hud that would need to be set up, which is just another graphical thing, and then the animations for them, which should they be in halo 4 would be there anyway.

In terms of all the races being slightly different in terms of stats (not physical size though), then yes it would need to be a bit of a balancing act. I could imagine brutes being better at melee, elites being slightly quicker, but spartans being able to jump higher, or things to that effect. Obviously unsure of what would make it balanced unbalanced, or what other things could change (suggestions welcome)

Thanks for the comments. Whilst i agree i much preferred halo 3 to halo reach, in some ways i preferred halo 2 to halo 3.

I think what 343i needs to do to make this game great, is head back to halo 2/3 and take the ideas from halo reach/3 and incorporate those into the package, adding new features like this (which i think would just be a good addition, rather than a huge change in gameplay (especially if they are all equal).

I liked the new weapons in reach for example, but would never have got rid of the ones from halo 3, as they were awesome. I liked the new gametypes, but again one's from halo 3 were taken away.

As for other playable characters (apart from spartans elites brutes) i'm all up for that for specific playlists and gametypes, but agree that the general matchmaking shouldn't have these in.

Not sure if armour abilities will be in reach (personally whilst i am unsure about the issue i'd probably side with no), but i like the idea of a rage or charge armour ability. If you've played previous halo games, where the brutes throw down their weapons and charge towards you. Maybe not for general matchmaking, but i like the idea of being able to charge at my opponents (maybe getting bonus in melee damage etc if you drop your weapon.). would kind of be the brutes version of sprint (spartans), and evade (elites).

Also would love to see a few more brute style weapons (maybe if carbine and needler rifle return, a brute version of one/both (use spikes instead of needles). Would love to see a return of brute shot, mauler and spiker as well as grav hammer, and also the brute plasma rifle too (maybe different in how it works compared to normal plasma rifle).

This idea of yours could prove to be fruitful. Though before I say why I would like to state- 'Proper Spartan 2s return'!?- If this was a shot at the Noble Team Spartan IIIs then I take offence- Spartan III's are every bit as good as/ if not better than Spartan II's...

My agreement: I think your idea could work well though I think a lot of balancing features- as you said- would need to be added.

Brutes: would be a lot stronger melee wise compared to a Spartan II (Halo: First Strike) and an elite (Halo: First Strike) though, to balance, give them more health but less accuracy (Bloom maybe?)

Elites: would have stronger shields and <melee than a Spartan II?> and would be able to jump higher than Spartans and Brutes.

Spartan II's: would have Halo 2 style shields and health, would have slightly less strength than elites, Would be faster (Sprint- Not an AA!) and would be more accurate (Targeting reticule in HUD). Both Elites and Spartans could dual-wield due to brutes being stronger (?)

With Spartan III's implemented- they would be smaller, faster and just as effective as Spartan II's- Unless they had SPI armour on- In which case they would suffer 1/2 damage from bullets, 1 1/2 from plasma and would have no shields but they would have semi-stealth and have more health (Mutagen implemented into Gamma company SIII's).

I think that the halo reach armoury system was quite cool, and wouldnt mind seeing it return. What i didn't like about it was that basically if you got the more expensive things, it basically made your spartan look more chunky. I think it would also be cool to get elites and brutes which you could customise, seeing as throughout the games brutes and elites have had many different looks.

I agree with this- The Reach Customisation armoury is far superior to the one in halo 3 and is one of my favourite things in Reach. I also believe there could be a lot done with additional armours (SPI for example... The arms, legs, helmet, chest everything- even if it's just a perm and holds no benefits) and the colouring system (as stated in a different thread- brush on damage (from paint scratches to bullets holes etc.) etc). Also, I believe a link between armour customisation could be provided e.g- A camera on the side of helmet lets you fire without bullet bloom or the HUD attachment across visor (I've forgotten it's name) gives you VISR (H3: ODST) for help finding stealthed opponents etc.

I agree that there also should be a system between Elites and Spartans with the armoury customisation and also include Spartan III's and Brutes too (Reference to above).

A multiple character game type would be good too :D

Thankyou for your detailed input. Great to see a real enthusiasm for an idea like this.

Sorry to offend you, but i do think spartan 3's are less superior to spartan 2's. Spartan 2's are genetically enhanced to kick ass. Spartan 3's were pumped full of steroids and created as a cheaper alternative to spartan 2's (correhttp://www.343industries.org/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=reply_post&f=63&t=313ct me if i'm wrong). Therefore i think spartan 2's are stronger and physcially superior to spartan 3's.

I'd like to confirm that although spartan 3's would be cool for some gametypes, their size difference in comparison to the base 3 i am proposing would mean that for standard matchmaking i don't think they should be in it

Like your ideas for suggestions on how to balance the 3, but make them slightly different. Not sure if accuracy should be something which is affected. I was thinking maybe just slight differences in their physical traits. Melee damage (brutes better, spartans worse), movement speed (elites better, brutes worse), shield size (spartans better, brutes worse), health size (brutes better, spartans worse), jump height (elites better, spartans worse) sre just a few examples i could think of. Obviously these stats and other would all need to be balanced, but to clarify these would be small differences, so whilst they would have some effect on gameplay, it wouldn't alter the gameplay by a huge amount.

Thankyou for your detailed input. Great to see a real enthusiasm for an idea like this.

Sorry to offend you, but i do think spartan 3's are less superior to spartan 2's. Spartan 2's are genetically enhanced to kick ass. Spartan 3's were pumped full of steroids and created as a cheaper alternative to spartan 2's (correhttp://www.343industries.org/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=reply_post&f=63&t=313ct me if i'm wrong). Therefore i think spartan 2's are stronger and physcially superior to spartan 3's.

I'd like to confirm that although spartan 3's would be cool for some gametypes, their size difference in comparison to the base 3 i am proposing would mean that for standard matchmaking i don't think they should be in it

Like your ideas for suggestions on how to balance the 3, but make them slightly different. Not sure if accuracy should be something which is affected. I was thinking maybe just slight differences in their physical traits. Melee damage (brutes better, spartans worse), movement speed (elites better, brutes worse), shield size (spartans better, brutes worse), health size (brutes better, spartans worse), jump height (elites better, spartans worse) these're just a few examples i could think of. Obviously these stats and other would all need to be balanced, but to clarify these would be small differences, so whilst they would have some effect on gameplay, it wouldn't alter the gameplay by a huge amount.

As much as I would love to debate the equality of the Spartan series, this not the thread :D

As for your balancing methods, I see where you are coming from and agree on most parts. The Spartan III disqualification though I see where you're coming, the height and hit box difference etc. would be an issue... or would it? seeing the difference in size between elites in Reach and the Spartan III's in that? Baring in mind they were Beta Company Spartans and in Halo 4 they would have to be Gamma Company ones...

I mostly agree though :D

TCO

• 2 weeks later...

But the elites and spartan 3's in reach aren't balanced. That is why you only play as both of them in certain gametypes, such as invasion. I would be happy to have them for some gametypes etc, but for general matchmaking it should be like halo 3. Equal (or balanced) characters with equal size and hitbox ie brutes elites and spartans.

Okay, Spartan II's aren't that big first off. They were only equal in size to Elites since in Halo 3, they were hunched over to create similar hitboxes. In Reach, it didn't matter, so they put them back to their normal sizes, much bigger than Spartan III's and still bigger than Spartan II's. Now Brutes, I think they're a little shorter than Elites. So they are about the same as a Spartan II. But they don't like you, so you can't be on a team with them. This would be for like Invasion. Or you could use the Flood, for Infection and Floodvasion (I made a thread about this) or create Forerunners, that are humanoid in appearence like Elites and Brutes. They would probably be either the same size as an Elite, or Taller though from what the image art from Bungie was.

• Like 1

But the elites and spartan 3's in reach aren't balanced. That is why you only play as both of them in certain gametypes, such as invasion. I would be happy to have them for some gametypes etc, but for general matchmaking it should be like halo 3. Equal (or balanced) characters with equal size and hitbox ie brutes elites and spartans.

Problem with that is Elites and Spartans were not Allies in this game. They were in Halo 3, so it made sense for them to be able to play on the same team. In Reach, it's before Halo: CE. So they are at war, therefore it would also make no sense to be teamed with an Elite when you are a Spartan. Always think about if it will make sense. It would to fight Brutes, the Flood, or the Forerunners. Brutes still despise us, the Flood could have been locked somewhere and escaped again, and we don't know of the Forerunners relations with us.

I think it would work but make brutes elites and spartans health And jumping the same

Customizing armor would be cool also playing as the flood would be cool

However in halo 4 i think there wont be any covenant besides elites and no flood

Maybe play as forerunner robots like kn forge but with weapons as well?