Halo needs to Be Competitive again!

Ammon Johnstun

43 industries: thank you so much for making Halo 4, but please stop messing around. We want a real ranking system. Like Halo 2 and Halo 3. I want to know the rank of everyone I'm playing with, and I only want to play against people my rank. I want to get perfections while I play against level 1's, and I don't want to be CSR 22 after only 5 games. I want to play competitively  I want to downrank when I lose and I want to uprank when I win. I want to use my mic again. These days when I play, I don't even care if I win. I lose an then see that I went 30-5 and am perfectly ok with that. And that's NOT ok! I remember playing games of slayer where I knew all my teammates. The score was 45-45 and my teammates and I are screaming callouts to each other. We would win 50-49, I only went 15-14, but I didn't care one bit because I backed out of the menu as soon as possible to see if my 49 would move up to that 50. Halo isn't like that anymore. You can't make me feel good with every 5 points for an assist. A 15 point comeback kill is not going to make me feel like I did anything special. Ultimately, minus the gameplay, I think what makes this game not as good as previous games is the lack of competitiveness. The other games were great because you knew that someone was better than you, and you knew that you were better than someone else. That is life, and that is ok. In this game, it's like CoD. Everyone is great right? Wrong. Some are great and some are not. That's reality. So just embrace that. Some are 50's and some are 10's. But guess what? The 10's play just as competitive games as the 50's. We all loved it. So please, bring back the competitive side of Halo. It's what made matchmaking so fun. Halo is the face of shooters. Bring back what made it so good. And to anyone who read all of this. Please like it, share it, or do something that will get it noticed. Halo 4 has all the potential to be a great game, and as someone who  has played every Halo game from the beginning, I don't want to stop playing until the story is over. Thanks guys.

Edited by RedStarRocket91
Minor edit, removed colour formatting to assist a colourblind user.
  • Like 3

Halo 2 had the best ranking system that actually worked! Period! You couldn't get level locked because you play too muh and you leveled up ONLY by wins. That in turn created a great social collaboration online and you never got the dead air that we hear on Halo 4 today. (I don't remember much on Social since I started Halo 2/Xbox live halfway through its life cycle.) I know this game made what what the social playlists are today because of the community (Zombies anyone?).

Halo 3 (from my experience) offered a great competitive playlists and focused much less on the social playlists. I found the social playlists rather boring so I played them like 10% of the entire 3 yrs playing that game.

Halo Reach focused much more on social playlists and completely scaled down the competitive playlists (Arena). So obviously I spent more time playing social playlists over the Arena. Too many things went wrong with Arena. It was a great idea on paper, bad when executed. I stopped playing entirely after only a year.

Halo 4 focuses entirely on social playlists and none on competitive playlists (referring to ranking and not just playlists like Team Throwdown that have a competitive mindset). They did just release a CSR via waypoint, however I don't see how that's going to change anything (won't know till I try which wont be for a few days).

Also, along with taking out a competitive in-game system, they also nullified some social aspects...such as cross team chatting. Like everyone else says, it's like playing with bots every game with no chance to socialize (whether it be good intentions or bad ones haha).

To play this game competitively you have to force yourself into that mindset while others in the game won't think that way (could care-less about winning).

If they put back a working rank system in game and allow us to actually talk to other players, the replay value of the game will go on till Halo 5 drops for me. But the way this game was made, the replay value is already gone before the 6 month mark... :'( Or maybe I'm just working too much so I think less about playin games LOOL.

• Like 1