Silentium & The Didact (Spoilers)

medcsu

I think that Librarian believed that (Ur)Didact could be somewhat reasonable and even help humans even though Gravemind had corrupted him. He still respected them as enemies. I'm not sure about this since if he were huge danger to future humans why she left him to meet them?

Maybe the point is that she didn't know that The Domain would collapse with destruction of the precusor artifacts at the time she left Didact in the Cryptum. Normally Didact would be connected to the Domain while in Cryptum but this time there was only darkness. Because of this Didact became even more mad.

Edit....I found the exact quote:

"I think of the Didact, locked in his Cryptum. If the Domain is destroyed, I have condemned my husband to an eternity of darkness, silence, with only his own rage and madness to keep him company"

I think Bear had to make Didact mad because of what 343 did to him in Halo 4. He made a great job making him realistically turn against humans again. Damn I loved the book! The best book I have had to read in English.

Edited by Dr. Halsey

• 4 weeks later...

I just finished reading Silentium and wow, so many revelations it's hard to keep track.

The big ones that will effect H5 (and beyond) would be:

1) The Didact we face(d) in H4 (Ur Didact) is basically beyond redemption because he is corrupted to the core by an ancient Gravemind (more on this later). I bring this up because he will be back, be sure of that.

2) The Iso Didact (Bornstellar) is certainly not dead and will be back.

3) The Flood are Precursors. We inked into this a bit in Primordium but not to the extent in Silentium. They are Precursors. Their form, while grotesque is an initial form that will end with the rebirth of the Precursors. That being said, they had and have one enemy and that is the Forerunners, in fact, they purposely backed off the Ancient humans and see them as the inheritors of their "Mantle". The only add with this is that they have become quite more than intended by the Precursors (I will explain if need be).

4) Halsey is the Librarian reincarnate. While it does not explicitly spell this out, they make it quite obvious that she (Librarian) passed her "gene song" on to a human legacy in totality.

5) Guilty Spark will have a part to play in future Halo games.

Sorry for being (kind of) vague but I am blown away by this recent book (excellent). If you would prefer I spell things out I will.

I know that i am nearly 2 months late but the OP isn't that accurate.

1. There were many factors leading to what happened to the Didact and his encounter with the Gravemind was the tipping point.  I wrote this prior to silentium but it went with everything stated in the novel. We see the strain on that his race pretty much turned their back him, His wife is with "someone else", and even with the precursors around them nobody wants to listen to him.

It pretty much showed that the ones we never listen to are the ones we should have. If the Didact's choice for dealing with the flood was used from the get go it wouldn't have gotten to that boiling point.

2. I don't see anything suggesting that as he says in the epilogue "I hope our children will meet yours". The idea of forerunners surviving that long is a bit excessive if you ask me. not to mention having two didacts would indeed be too much.

3. The Flood are an unintended side affect of the powder some precursors degenerated into. It wasn't planned and was only later embraced.

4. Nothing in the book suggests that. We know she put her "soul" into our race as she did many others. If this was true her AI would have said something upon meeting Halsey.

5.Agreed. Though they seriously made a continuity error because in primordium Chakas made the distinction from 343.

If you are looking for a way to have people read some post you wrote so you can feel brilliant than just make a post directing them there instead of saying the OP (myself) "isn't that accurate".

Everything I stated was either taken directly from the book and/or conjecture based on what was taken directly from the book. You basically took everything I said and just changed the wording, congrats on that.

However, since I know the basis of your post was to direct people to another post I will say: Great job man, you did a great job, your job was great.....so great. I am in awe of the greatness.

I know that i am nearly 2 months late but the OP isn't that accurate.

1. There were many factors leading to what happened to the Didact and his encounter with the Gravemind was the tipping point.  I wrote this prior to silentium but it went with everything stated in the novel. We see the strain on that his race pretty much turned their back him, His wife is with "someone else", and even with the precursors around them nobody wants to listen to him.

It pretty much showed that the ones we never listen to are the ones we should have. If the Didact's choice for dealing with the flood was used from the get go it wouldn't have gotten to that boiling point.

2. I don't see anything suggesting that as he says in the epilogue "I hope our children will meet yours". The idea of forerunners surviving that long is a bit excessive if you ask me. not to mention having two didacts would indeed be too much.

3. The Flood are an unintended side affect of the powder some precursors degenerated into. It wasn't planned and was only later embraced.

4. Nothing in the book suggests that. We know she put her "soul" into our race as she did many others. If this was true her AI would have said something upon meeting Halsey.

5.Agreed. Though they seriously made a continuity error because in primordium Chakas made the distinction from 343.

• Like 1