Geometry Hole Glitch Discovered

DarklingNinja

Geometry Hole Glitch Discovered

Holes in Forge Objects and Geometry Explain Ravine Lighting Glitch

Yes that’s right I said it, I was informed by an undisclosed source that there are actually holes in the forge objects. Very small and tiny holes that only certain mechanics of the game can move through. Now I know this will make you all so upset but we were originally going to be able to create weather effects on our maps, but due to the holes in the geometry weather effects (such as rain) were able to pass through the forge objects as if they were not there. So if you had a room with a roof, and you activated the rain weather effect it would rain outside the room and inside the room. So instead of trying to fix it the entire idea was scraped.

I understand if some people do not believe this from the start, but I can prove it on ravine. Many of us have encountered the ravine lighting glitch while forging on one side of the giant rock. For those of you who are not aware of it, if you forge on one side of the rock structure you experience cast shadows that appear and disappear based on how close you are to them.

I was only told about forge objects having holes so how did I come to the conclusion that geometry does as well?

I was on ravine trying to find the local direction of the light that was causing the glitch to happen so I could block it off. I spent a good 30min trying to find it but after blocking all the lighting locations I got nothing. Meaning that the light source causing the lighting glitch was coming from a different direction then over the top of the rock structure.

Well since I knew about the forge objects having holes, I thought that it wouldn’t be out of the question for other geometry in the game to have holes in them as well? So I looked along the side of the mountain to find a location in which light was passing through the actually geometry of the map. I found it, the part of the mountain in which light was passing through.

Here is the picture of the location

ugcuserfile-1d6a68ed-a017-41c8-806f-8fc9

If you look closes you can see light on the edges of the middle rock. In order to make sure I was right I trued to replicate this. So I started a new pallet and found that the only time this glitch happens is when there is a forge object placed in the area. Other wise this glitch did not happen. If you go to ravine place an object on the shaded side of ravine then look at this rock you will be able to see how the fades and reappears along this portion of ravine mountain.

If you place a Wall coliseum in front of this portion of the mountain your map will no longer suffer from the ravine lighting glitch. The reason being, the light passing through the solid portion of the mountain is now blocked.

Discussion

Now I want to discuss this, because this has much bigger implications and possible applications then fixing the ravine lighting glitch.

The question I am wondering at this point are:

Can we abuse this broken mechanic of the game in some way?

What kind of things can we do if anything by manipulate the holes in the forge objects and geometry?

Can we possible reduce frame rate and lighting cost by manipulating the holes in forge objects or geometry?

Basically can we manipulate the geometry holes and created glitches like we did in Halo 3 to expand upon our ability to forge maps in Halo 4? And if so how can we do that?

Sadly enough my knowledge of game programming is limited, so hopefully someone with a better understanding of it or someone with ingenuity can take the Geometry Hole Glitch and do more with it then I can.

• Like 2