Spartan Ops Season 2

Greassy

I think they are going too much Nylund/"Halo Wars"-style in the cutscenes (especially episode 6) where Spartan Thorne can't go down without of course taking a load of elites out at first. And since when is a Elite killed by two shots out of a Storm Rifle?? I know that the whole thing has got to be cinematic but I think they are devaluing the Covenant too much with this.

The same thing goes for the comments of Palmer etc. during the gameplay when she say stuff like "What, only six Phantoms? That won't nearly be enough for Team Crimson". I know it's supposed to be her personality but practically every other charactor does the same; they don't take the Covenant really seriously because uber-awesome Team Crimson is too badass for them anyway. Fighting against the Covenant just seems too much of a piece of cake or a simple "clean-up" for Crimson, even though many players die like 10 times every chapter...

The same thing goes for the comments of Palmer etc. during the gameplay when she say stuff like "What, only six Phantoms? That won't nearly be enough for Team Crimson". I know it's supposed to be her personality but practically every other charactor does the same; they don't take the Covenant really seriously because uber-awesome Team Crimson is too badass for them anyway. Fighting against the Covenant just seems too much of a piece of cake or a simple "clean-up" for Crimson, even though many players die like 10 times every chapter...

I can let the odd cutscene go but in general I think you make a good point. Elites are supposed to be better than even John 117 in terms of physical strength etc. It is tactics, teamwork and determination that help the outclassed humans win through. I can appreciate that having the game constantly telling you you're doomed because 6 hunters just appeared would get old, but acting like taking out better troops, while outnumbered and in enemy territory is a cakewalk constantly seems a little silly.

In my opinion Halo is at its best when it's closer to 'survival horror' than 'action hero rampage'. When I'm playing H1 or H4 campaign on legendary I know I'm outclassed in a front on confrontation so I need to plan, sneak, use terrain and generally outsmart my foe to win. If it's that hard to Masterchief to do it then it shouldn't be blown off as trivial by 2nd rate 'spartans'.

I can let the odd cutscene go but in general I think you make a good point. Elites are supposed to be better than even John 117 in terms of physical strength etc. It is tactics, teamwork and determination that help the outclassed humans win through. I can appreciate that having the game constantly telling you you're doomed because 6 hunters just appeared would get old, but acting like taking out better troops, while outnumbered and in enemy territory is a cakewalk constantly seems a little silly

Exactly. I think it begs the question why the Covenant didn't already lose long before. If you look at the Spartan Ops campaign they are gettin pwned constantly no matter how hard they try.

I mean yes, If you are playing a game you will eventually "win" the given mission - otherwise it would just be a 'game over' and the story wouldn't continue like intended. It is now the job of the developers to not design the given mission in a way which would lead to de devaluation of the enemy. For example, Imagine if Bungie had designed a mission in Halo 2 in which the intendet story was that the Chief would break into High Charity (which wouldn't be war-torn at that moment) all by himself, kill the 3 Prophets and get out again. The player woudl evventually "win" the given mission because it was designed/intended that way by Bungie - but the Covenant would seem like a huge joke. Although I'm exaggerating, this is the kind of direction that Spartan Ops is going in my opinion.

I know this has also something to do with the emulation of the Firefight feature, but I'm quite struggling to which amount I should take Spartan Ops seriously because of those things. Not least because Spartan Ops WANTS to be taken seriously as a story.