The Reaper- The Covenant Mantis

Going to merge this thread with a new vehicles thread I'm going to make.

Yeah.

343i aren't ripping off Mass Effect.

I prefer my Reapers 2km tall at the biggest, not 10m tall at the biggest.

Just because both names is the same doesnt mean it's copying. The name Reaper fits in with Covenant vehicles. If you compare the Halo Reaper to the other one, then they're the same. But they aren't. They're really different from each other.

What would be interesting would be to have the Elite group of Halo 4 use the mining tools they have as weapons. That's what the Scarab of Halo 2 most likely was (an excavator to unearth the portal to the Ark), and it became clear in the Spartan Ops map "Harvester" that the titular structure was being used to mine resources, so they obviously do have at least limited access to such tools. For them to use an "antique" mobile mining platform, such as the Locust, would not be hard to understand. Gameplay-wise, I think it should fire something along the lines of a continuous beam (like the Sentinel Beam or Focus Rifle, just to a greater degree). It would be able to lock down areas of interest and hold the line, but could only fire when not moving. The left trigger could even be the "Overdrive" mode, where it does more damage, but becomes more vulnerable. One way to do this (besides the obvious shield-draining) would be for vents of some sort to open on the sides and back of the "abdomen", leaving it more susceptible to damage, like the cylinder on the side of a Ghost or the back "turbine" of a Wraith. Could certainly be a unique and interesting addition to the Halo 5 sandbox.

On a side note: It would probably be better for gameplay reasons if the Locust's shields were not in the dome-like shape that is was in Halo Wars, since people would simply use it as a mobile bubble shield. Would be better to have the shields form around the chassis and limbs, like that of the Mantis itself. Would love to see the battles between these two insect-monickered repurposed warmachines :)

I think it would be cool if the Reaper were like a Droideka from Star Wars. It would be able to fold up and roll around at a decent speed, but its shields would be inactive and the maneuver limited by a charge meter. Whilst rolling it would splatter enemies and roll up walls and buildings. The Mantis in turn could have a sprinting feature, perhaps.

As epic as that sounds, Halo vehicles are usually balanced in terms of mass and speed. Having a rolling mechanical monster paving through enemies and then set up to be a miniature AA gun would break that balance, as would a sprinting Mantis. It would be remniscent of Scorpions and Wraiths being able to keep up with a Warthog or Ghost. Besides, it would be criticized for being too much of a rip-off of the Droideka/ Destroyer droids from the Star Wars franchise.