Gear Box Turns Down Offer To Make Call of Duty

Adam91

Game developer Gearbox was offered to create a Call of Duty game but turned it down. In an Interview with studio boss Randy Pitchford he says “I think about the people delivering the “Call of Duty”, which they want, you have to play by the rules of the series,” he also says "In this I see but no real challenge for us. It would strengthen our reputation as a studio no further, it would not be really motivating for our team.”

Read the full interview with Randy Pitchford below by Krawll.

gearbox.jpg

Andre: What is your personal view? Will you of new "Call of Duty" spending still maintain good?

Randy Pitchford: Partly, yes. Sure, there are not many surprises. But I have still great respect for the series. Okay, I admit honestly: "Modern Warfare 3" I have my beginning of this year and then have bought the campaign played out on a weekend, no more. But that was fun, yes. "Black Ops" I even got started in June and then stopped after the first half. As for the story, it might even be the best part so far. (Editor's note: This interview was conducted before the release of "Modern Warfare II".)

Andre: Then why did you just not finished?

Randy Pitchford: I do not know. That was one of those cases you're playing, it's fun, you're going to eat something, then you're doing something else, and somehow it remains lie.

Andre: But honestly, you would also "Call of Duty" games, if the games would be bored ...

Randy Pitchford: Yes, that's right. The series is just so incredibly successful. I would have the feeling of missing an important reference point, if I did not know the game.

Andre: That's what you'll need to explain why, so that our readers understand it ...

Randy Pitchford: Well, as a trader depends on your existence from the fact that you shop games that can then resell. However, many new games are just big question marks in this regard. You go take a risk when you buy them. A series such as "Call of Duty" on the other hand, she strikes so reliable as a bomb, that's one of your rare certainties. Here you can bet on it that sell the games and maintain its long full price. This means that dealers make a lot more advertising, more promotions, buy a lot more goods, and, and, and. So that with time almost a self-fulfilling prophecy, because for "Call of Duty" making the big ticket every action depends on the each poster in the window. Because there is no other brand that has been so successful for any other game of this effort is driven, and now this machine runs almost by itself. What I do not want to belittle the achievements on the publishing side.

Andre: Can you tell us really why "Call of Duty" has become such an incredible success? Sure, the games are good. Particularly as regards console shooter. But why "Call of Duty" Godzilla this brand has become?

Randy Pitchford: Well, I've already started up, to explain. First: The games are really good. Especially for the casual gamer. If someone just playing a shooter per year or even every two or three years, then this is a really good choice. Is also true for "Borderlands", as we have noted, because it is very beginner friendly. Or for "Gears of War" or "Halo". They are all very easy to access. The same applies to the theme of "Call of Duty". That is also very easy to digest. The idea of ​​soldiers at war is perhaps the simplest and most durable in all the typical fantasies that depict games. On top of that behind "Call of Duty" a tremendously experienced and efficient apparatus in the field of publishing and production plugged. We are able to now make our watches after that, in November, a new "Call of Duty" appears. That may be the single player not matter, but the whole sales machinery loves this reliability, this predictability.

Andre: Would you want to make a "Call of Duty"? If Activision came to you and said, "Hey, we'll do it with three development studios, instead of two!", What would you say?

Randy Pitchford: In fact, they were already there.

Andre: Really? And you've actually turned down?

Randy Pitchford: Yeah, that's not for me.

Andre: Why?

Randy Pitchford: I did not know what there was to reach there. For me, there are two scenarios in which a project makes sense for Gearbox: First, if there would have been the game without us ever. Or two, when we can contribute to an existing brand something new, a kind of unique perspective and a new approach. But that was not the case here. I think about the people delivering the "Call of Duty", which they want, you have to play by the rules of the series. You have to do what is expected of a "Call of Duty". In this I see but no real challenge for us. It would strengthen our reputation as a studio no further, it would not be really motivating for our team.

Andre: What if they would have offered you a spinoff? Supposedly the guys from Sledgehammer Games are supposed to have worked on a third-person action game in the "Call of Duty" universe before it after the departure of a part of Infinity Ward had to play the fire extinguisher for "Modern Warfare 3". Would that be what Gearbox?

Randy Pitchford: Well, you know, I heard the "Brothers in Arms" brand. We have created. If we wanted them to make a game, but rather under this flag.

Andre: That sounds a whole not so enthusiastic.

Randy Pitchford: It would just not for us. But this is a very individual thing and not meant to sound condescending.