My thoughts on the Boltshot.

mazzulmaz

As many people have brought up, its not the even really the fact that it can oneshot out of the box, but the range at which it can achive this.

As for the stormrifle...if your clip is overheating before you can kill someone at the applicable range, then something is messing up on your end. The strength of the storm rifle is it isn't as accurate as an assault rifle, but can be support much more sustained fire. 1v1 against other assault weapons I it can be a coin flip at times, but when engaging multiple people on smaller maps the advantages are clear. I haven't tested in a custom game but I have tested plenty in practice. I used to think the suppressor was the best weapon when the game first came out but I learned that it only really owned very close up fully automatic, getting out ranged by both the storm rifle and AR. The storm rifle is all about firing in sustained, long bursts.

I'm not trying to imply you aren't good with the Storm Rifle, or that the weapon is not viable, but, to play the devils advocate, I would continue this debate. The weapon only kills ONE shot faster than the AR, and I'm not sure if the fire rates are equal. The Storm Rifle is definitely less accurate. The two weapons have roughly the same exact kill time even at melee range. So, the only advantage I hear you citing for the SR is that you can fire it in long bursts continuously without reloading. Thing I don't get is, reloading an AR is very fast, and you can choose when you do it, as soon as you have a free moment. In the amount of time between bursts with the SR to let it cool down, couldn't you just have reloaded instead? And especially taking into account that the AR benefits from dexterity if you run it, while the SR does not. I mean, I just don't see the overheating thing as worth the substantial accuracy penalty.

And I don't see ANY advantage whatsoever in the Suppressor.

I laughed so friggin hard when I read this. Can you get a hallelujah? Yes sir you can. Hallelujah!

Haha, Railgun ftw!

It's like, the power of a rocket, the precision of a sniper, the awesome feeling of a charge up, and the coolness of the MAC cannon. I've never enjoyed using a power weapon more, and sometimes you can just turn corners with that thing and KNOW the dude is gonna get wrecked. Only thing I'd say is that a teeny bit of lag or bad luck can really ruin your day with it.

Reloading an AR is fast enough with dexterity amonst fighting multiple people perhaps, but anything else and you'll run out of ammo before you can finish the job on two or more guys. Anyway like I said I don't test the guns really in custom games, I just play with them in several similar situations and see how they perform. It could be that I'm fighting bad players when I use the storm rifle, but it seems to do consistantly better when engaging multiple opponents then the suppressor or AR.

• Like 1

compared the the other 2 Secondary weapons the Boltshot is Extremely overpowered...

Magnum - holds 8 rounds, requires 6 shots to the head for a kill, fast rate of fire, instant reload.

Plasma Pistol - 50 shots or 5 overcharged bolts, lowers shields quickly but does little to no damage by itself.. requires another weapon to finish off the enemy most times... The overcharge in combonation with a headshot is argueably the fastest way to kill at midranged with loadout weapons... But you can only hold the overcharge for roughly 35 seconds before the plasma pistol runs completely out of charge.. also the lock on feature isn't reliable..

Boltshot - holds 10 rounds, overcharging fires 5 at a time, while single fire is useless but the overcharge setting is as powerfull as a shotgun, more powerfull than the scattershot at close range... It is a Zero skill weapon, because it is always obtainable in a loadout, it requires 0 timing with the YY, and is in no way hard to aim.. The only way it is hard to aim is if your one of the kids who freaks out when an enemy actually MOVES instead of just stands still... Don't believe those kids are out there? try Jumping over someone in close quarters sometimes.. This is the only way i've survived against a boltshot consistently in close quarters..

Also the reason why the storm rifle is superior to the assault rifle is because like all plasma based weaponry is the fact that it takes down shields every quickly... it takes only a few shots with the storm rifle + 1 melee to kill... where as with an assault rifle it takes considerably longer bursts to get them to the point of 1 hit kill with melee..

Atleast that's what i've seen.

Reloading an AR is fast enough with dexterity amonst fighting multiple people perhaps, but anything else and you'll run out of ammo before you can finish the job on two or more guys. Anyway like I said I don't test the guns really in custom games, I just play with them in several similar situations and see how they perform. It could be that I'm fighting bad players when I use the storm rifle, but it seems to do consistantly better when engaging multiple opponents then the suppressor or AR.

i also prefer storm rifle most of the time. i did testing with a friend point blank, both firing simultaniously, and what i found was the storm rifle beats the AR power wise, while the suppressor beats the storm rifle power wise. its just that the suppressor's spread goes whack so fast you have to be very close to really get the shots. storm rifle is also risky in a way, in that if it overheats you are screwed, and it does overheat just shortly after the time required to kill if you hold fire with no release, but i still prefer it for the damage output. another very slight advantage is that its the quietest of the three xD

My opinion:

Power weapons in halo are suppose enhance enjoyment and empower the player here is how I feel they work and how the boltshot effects these their use:

1. Standard Combat - grenade, fire and melee this is combat with no power weapons, the power weapons are something to be sought after, earned and controlled; empowering the player and rewarding effort with greater chances of success and a greater fear of losing that which they worked hard to get, classic risk/reward.

The boltshot reduces the need to seek these weapons since your already start with a fantastic close range weapon you can get good results without that effort or risk not to mention time to acquire, and with no reason to fear death you simple respawn with a fresh weapon. Play moves away from the pillar that is standard combat and towards luring players within the kill range. The risk/reward is greatly reduced.

2. Team play and objective control - Team play works so well in halo because you have a longer time between first contact with an enemy and death in any standard combat situation this gives teams working together opportunity to react and backup friends allowing players to control locations/objectives when working together swapping shields and leading to enjoyable scenarios of saving your friends and feeling team spirit. Again power weapons should be invaluable in these situations as ammo for the defenders power weapons dwindles attackers should gain advantage and longer survival for defenders requires more and more skill.

Add the boltshot to this situation and the grinding effect of the attackers is lost since the powerful weapons are refreshed after ever death and as long as a few members of the team survive they will respawn at that location if not nearby boltshot refilled. Attackers actually have an even harder time as defenders are rewarded with success for staying still and allowing the attackers to come into effective boltshot range. Team cooperation is also reduced in these defending situations since a single shot will get the kill only one player needs fire the shot instead of a combination of fire from two or more.

The single issue with the boltshot, again in my opinion, is availability. When everyone spawns with snipers we have a separate match for that, if everyone spawned with rockets, an extreme form of one shot kill, standard combat would be destroyed, if we all started with scatter shots it's clear to me which weapon I'd have out when in close quarters.

3. Top trumps - Power weapons are suppose to trump starting weapons to drive the players to these weapons and allow tactical interactions based on acquiring and holding these items. Maps are designed with these weapons in these locations to lead to these battles and keep the game flowing. If starting weapons can trump these weapons too easily then the risk starts to outweigh the reward and the player isn't driven to these conflicts and instead develops the tactics to make their weapon more successful, sadly for the boltshot this leads to many unsavoury and often frustrating behaviours that doesn't move Halo in the direction that's going to be most enjoyable for all the players involved.

• 3 months later...