1v1 DMR Long Range problems?

Delpen9

I adore the DMR and I'm extremely accurate with it in almost all cases. I normally no-scope the dmr when shooting but a scope it when it gets past a mid-ranged distance. I'm not quite as accurate but i still get the kill with 5 shots and occasionally 6 or 7. (DMR is a 5 shot kill) My problem is that when I get into a long distance 1v1 battle with the dmr I can't shoot very well. I noticed that when i get shot by the other person my reticle bounces upwards ruining my headshots. I almost always get killed in these situations and i would like help.

Until you get rogue (And btw, Rogue doesn't remove the effect of shots on you, it just halves them) I recommend pulling your aiming stick down in long range fights. I frequently 5-shot people at long range who are shooting me back.

So far the best practice I have found for this is to go for snipe on Solace as soon as the game starts. Even if you don't want the sniper rifle, go up there and start shooting across the map at the guys on the other team who are doing the same (There are always 1-2 guys). This won't always be the best play for the game, but it will be a good play for practicing your control of the DMR in long range fights. This often nets me a first strike, and sometimes a double kill as well if I don't take too many shots putting the first guy down. Usually you drop your guy and your teammate damages his enough that the second guy has to run away, but most players think they can step out and surprise you or something, so you get lots of practice up there.

Even after this practice, that rogue perk is probably a good choice. I fought a guy the other day on Complex who I THINK had that upgrade on, and I couldn't win a long range fight against him at all. No matter how many shots I put toward him he always got the 5th one in before I did, and half the time he had a sniper rifle and never seemed to miss his initial shot to drop my shields, even with me hitting him with DMR fire.

In a fight where you're both in the open, lead your shots by about one body width. The guns are hitscan, but your fingers aren't. The time it takes your brain to tell your finger to pull that trigger is the time it takes your enemy to move into that reticule. Lead all shots by the same amount though, because you don't need to account for bullet velocity.

If you have a jet pack or use bumper jumper it's ok to jump in a long range fight to land the last 1-2 shots. Normally jumping is a pretty predictable trajectory, as is jetpacking, but in a long range fight the other guy is probably pulling his thumbstick down too, so going UP will screw him up even more. This was another thing that guy I fought kept doing, he'd gain just a bit of elevation whenever I needed that headshot and I was always pulling that stick down.

Finally, don't take any chances with your shields. Halo 4 is designed to kill you in anything greater than a 1v1 fight. If you take 3 shots before you can guarantee 3 into the other guy, take cover and let your shields FULLY recharge before you emerge again. Cover is the only thing you can count on in a long range fight, and in fact it's more useful than in a mid-range fight because Promethean Vision takes awhile to reach its farthest range and it also has a max range.

Much of my Halo experience is in BTB, so everyone has to learn stuff like this. You just learn to fight at longer ranges in that playlist. I don't think it's actually great practice anymore though, because frequently there is something nastier than a DMR looking back at you so it's not really worth getting into a DMR fight in BTB (You still get into tons of them, but often get teamshot or sniped or worse). You usually teamshot or kill guys who aren't firing back with your DMR. In Halo 3 BTB you HAD to learn to use your BR long range, but in Halo 4 it's actually a more useful skill in smaller playlists, especially now that getting shot doesn't zoom you out. You end up getting a lot of good long-range DMR practice in Complex, Solace snipe vs. snipe, and Abandon if you don't join the lemmings in R3.

• Like 1

Until you get rogue (And btw, Rogue doesn't remove the effect of shots on you, it just halves them) I recommend pulling your aiming stick down in long range fights. I frequently 5-shot people at long range who are shooting me back.

So far the best practice I have found for this is to go for snipe on Solace as soon as the game starts. Even if you don't want the sniper rifle, go up there and start shooting across the map at the guys on the other team who are doing the same (There are always 1-2 guys). This won't always be the best play for the game, but it will be a good play for practicing your control of the DMR in long range fights. This often nets me a first strike, and sometimes a double kill as well if I don't take too many shots putting the first guy down. Usually you drop your guy and your teammate damages his enough that the second guy has to run away, but most players think they can step out and surprise you or something, so you get lots of practice up there.

Even after this practice, that rogue perk is probably a good choice. I fought a guy the other day on Complex who I THINK had that upgrade on, and I couldn't win a long range fight against him at all. No matter how many shots I put toward him he always got the 5th one in before I did, and half the time he had a sniper rifle and never seemed to miss his initial shot to drop my shields, even with me hitting him with DMR fire.

In a fight where you're both in the open, lead your shots by about one body width. The guns are hitscan, but your fingers aren't. The time it takes your brain to tell your finger to pull that trigger is the time it takes your enemy to move into that reticule. Lead all shots by the same amount though, because you don't need to account for bullet velocity.

If you have a jet pack or use bumper jumper it's ok to jump in a long range fight to land the last 1-2 shots. Normally jumping is a pretty predictable trajectory, as is jetpacking, but in a long range fight the other guy is probably pulling his thumbstick down too, so going UP will screw him up even more. This was another thing that guy I fought kept doing, he'd gain just a bit of elevation whenever I needed that headshot and I was always pulling that stick down.

Finally, don't take any chances with your shields. Halo 4 is designed to kill you in anything greater than a 1v1 fight. If you take 3 shots before you can guarantee 3 into the other guy, take cover and let your shields FULLY recharge before you emerge again. Cover is the only thing you can count on in a long range fight, and in fact it's more useful than in a mid-range fight because Promethean Vision takes awhile to reach its farthest range and it also has a max range.

Much of my Halo experience is in BTB, so everyone has to learn stuff like this. You just learn to fight at longer ranges in that playlist. I don't think it's actually great practice anymore though, because frequently there is something nastier than a DMR looking back at you so it's not really worth getting into a DMR fight in BTB (You still get into tons of them, but often get teamshot or sniped or worse). You usually teamshot or kill guys who aren't firing back with your DMR. In Halo 3 BTB you HAD to learn to use your BR long range, but in Halo 4 it's actually a more useful skill in smaller playlists, especially now that getting shot doesn't zoom you out. You end up getting a lot of good long-range DMR practice in Complex, Solace snipe vs. snipe, and Abandon if you don't join the lemmings in R3.

Thank you very much. well said. i would give you 3 likes if i could.

I'm glad to be helpful. Keep your eye out for more tips like that from anywhere you can find them. I'm far from the best player and the DMR is probably going to remain the best gun in this game, so there will be a lot of information out there about getting good with it, lots of it likely better than what I can offer.