Game Play Mechanic differences between Reach and 4

TransientHalo

I want to discuss the differences between these two games. I'm talking primarily game mechanics, not kill cams, loadouts, etc.

Obviously one big difference in 4 is forerunner weapons. Though these seem fairly evenly matched with Convenant and UNSC weapons.

So really, the one big difference that stands out in 4 from Reach, to me, is reticle bloom. 4 has very little of it. Where as the reticle bloom in Reach is HUGE.

Secondly, the assult weapons seem more powerful. I'm not really sure if this is because less reticle bloom equals higher accuracy or if their damage has been beefed up. Either way, full auto is pretty mean in 4.

With this said, this makes all weapons more deadly, even by players not as "skilled".

People argue that Reach takes "skill" - well, it does, all games do BUT I think that since the assult weapons in 4 are so much stronger that means you have to be even better with your precision weapon to pull off the win. Precision still beats full auto, even in 4, you've just gotta be dead on. Since precision can always win verse a standard loadout assault weapon, then for this reason alone it's still Halo.

I don't think the game is easier, in fact, I think it's harder. The weapons are so strong you better be dead on or else. In Reach you could miss a shot or two and still win, but you miss 1 shot in 4 and it's game over.

I like Reach, I think it's a lot of fun, but I also think it's easier than 4. It's alot easier to dominate close quarters in Reach since all the other weapons are a lot weaker. You can easily out-sprint someone DMR'ing, AR'ing or pistoling you if you're running around with the shotty or sword. This is not so easy in 4. Not impossible, but you have to be a lot more careful and not put yourself out there too much.

Each game is a lot of fun but as far as which game is harder- I think it's definitely 4. I like both games a lot. Reach seems to be more laid back. I find myself goofing off cuz you can do that kind of stuff and still win, lol. You can't get away with it so much in 4 so I have a tendancy to play 4 when I'm feeling more serious.

Anyway. Discuss, Flame, I don't care. Let me hear what you think.

• Like 1

I'd pretty much say... yes, you're right. I don't understand the people who say that Halo 4 is a "noob" game. It's leveling the playing field, and I think that's a good thing. You've got to be even better now than before in order to pull the win out.

I very much agree with this its one of the harder Halo games I have played.

I very much agree with this its one of the harder Halo games I have played.

Yeah, and with all this being said- even if they did make 4 "easier" for "noobs" there is still a 'true-skill' ranking and the playerbase evens out, regardless. But it's definitely not a newb game. It's just now noobs can be more competitive with fellow noobs with assault weapons while better players choose precision. It all balances out in the end.

lol this is the most noob friendly game I've ever seen. The "balancing out the playing field" is a joke. They've beefed the scrub weapons exponentially while leaving the precision weapons the same. That's pathetic. Does it make the game a bit more challenging? Sure, AR chasers now rule the world especially with the stagger step *more noob friendly BS* added into the mix.

lol this is the most noob friendly game I've ever seen. The "balancing out the playing field" is a joke. They've beefed the scrub weapons exponentially while leaving the precision weapons the same. That's pathetic. Does it make the game a bit more challenging? Sure, AR chasers now rule the world especially with the stagger step *more noob friendly BS* added into the mix.

If you're good you have nothing to worry about. The gap between the weapons is closer now than it ever has been. Define scrub weapons, because honestly, why shouldn't an AR be powerful? I don't know about the bolt shot, I kind of have mixed feelings on it. It is the most questionable standard loadout weapon but like I've said before, it's less annoying than armor lock was so I'm okay with it.

You can't expect them to keep making the same game over and over. I don't understand people who say things like... "it's not like halo 3" , "halo 3 was the best game ever". Seriously? Do you just want to keep playing the same game over and over and over again, because if so, then go play some more H3 and quit whining to everyone else? I personally like the on-set of armor abilities and load-outs. These add wildcards to the each match and make the game overall more interesting.

343 industries definitely made Halo 4 more noob friendly. I think it was a large part of their game plan to appeal to a larger more broader audience... and in Halo 4's place that meant attracting some of the less skilled playerbase. I've never really had a problem with it.

I don't know if it's best to say that the game takes more skill because they made it easier for noobs. That's kind of the definition of taking less skill.

Definitely made the game more noob friendly. It's nice and all, but I don't think that gametypes like SWAT should be so noob-friendly. It just takes a little getting used to I guess. At first, I was fighting to have a positive k/d in the game because of all the inbalances. Now I do a heck of a lot better, usually about 20-6 area. Just gotta get used to what weapons are popular on what maps, what routes to take, what weapons to watch out for, where the deadzones are, etc.. I have to admit, after actually getting good at previous games, it feels like the skill-portion was almost a waste.

Not once do I see anyone stating that the game is more fun. As usuall more ignorant MLG mindset folks throwing around the "noob" label. Not once do I see anyone here taking responsability for their ingame failures. As usual, its the same old blame the weapons argument. Whats next guys....you gonna blame your mommies when you dont land that job? Or start blaming unbalanced education based on what school you go to?

Everyone performs and succeeds based on skill PER game, and what you put into it ensure your success. Either deal with change and grow as a player, or dont post such stupid closed minded statements.

If there's one thing Halo players have NEVER made up their freakin mind about, it's the Assault Rifle.

It's a noob weapon.

It's harder to kill someone with it than with the DMR.

It's too powerful.

It's too weak.

It takes no skill to use.

It takes a lot of skill to use at long range.

It's stupid that you have to spawn with it because it sucks so bad.

It's stupid that you don't have to spawn with it because now everyone has DMRs.

It needs to be buffed.

It needs to be nerfed.

It wrecks in CQC.

It gets wrecked in CQC.

I swear guys. Settle this out before you go and talk about the sandbox as a whole... *rolls eyes

• Like 2

If there's one thing Halo players have NEVER made up their freakin mind about, it's the Assault Rifle.

It's a noob weapon.

It's too powerful.

It's too weak.

It needs to be buffed.

It needs to be nerfed.

It wrecks in CQC.

It gets wrecked in CQC.

I swear guys. Settle this out before you go and talk about the sandbox as a whole... *rolls eyes

In H4 the assult rifle is pretty cut and dry. It's alot stronger comparatively speaking in regards to Reach. In Reach, the AR was garbage- I'd take the magnum over it. So, I'm not sure who you're speaking about but my understanding of the assault rifle is quite clear. In H4, it's a strong weapon short to mid range.

It's a noob weapon.

It's too powerful.

It's too weak.

It needs to be buffed.

It needs to be nerfed.

It wrecks in CQC.

It gets wrecked in CQC.

Here is how it SHOULD be:

The AR shouldn't be able to kill a BR/DMR user at any range if the BR/DMR user hits all 5 shots perfectly, except maybe melee range (where the AR user can shoot for a second then hit).

Here is how it SHOULD be:

The AR shouldn't be able to kill a BR/DMR user at any range if the BR/DMR user hits all 5 shots perfectly, except maybe melee range (where the AR user can shoot for a second then hit).

Precision can beat it in close range given the AR user doesn't melee and the precision user is 100% accurate. One miss with precision and it's game over.

In Reach you could miss a few shots with the DMR vs AR and still win out with the DMR, especially at mid-range.