Boltshot is not OP

SatanicBagels

No reason you get to spawn with a weapon that instat kills, and it's WAY behind 5 blocks. I've been killed full shields many times from middle tear of the stairs on Haven and I'm not even headed down the top yet, easily 7-10 bodies away.

If you're going to compare this to a Plasma Pistol beat down, then why not have this ONLY break shields but give it a larger spreed area. If this gun ins't fixed with a few other things, I'd rather go play BO2, and I don't even have the game, YET.

Prometheus vision and Boltshot, all that does is prompt the hell out of camping, the instant charge/reload is also bullcrap as well. Hands down a spawning weapon has more KILL damage then a scatter shot, that makes no sense.

I'm an avid Boltshot user myself, and I've taken out whole teams by using it. I'm not complaining that it's op, I use it all the time, and know that it's basically op. I've had my shields dropped, ran around a corner, and popped off each person trying to chase me one by one. Yea, its a cheap tactic, but you give me a cheap gun and that's what I'm gonna do. I'm not the only one that does this. The boltshot isn't like a rocket or anything, but it's a weapon you can spawn with, and that's what makes it so cheap. If used right, boltshot can beat any power weapon out there.

I'm an avid Boltshot user myself, and I've taken out whole teams by using it. I'm not complaining that it's op, I use it all the time, and know that it's basically op. I've had my shields dropped, ran around a corner, and popped off each person trying to chase me one by one. Yea, its a cheap tactic, but you give me a cheap gun and that's what I'm gonna do. I'm not the only one that does this. The boltshot isn't like a rocket or anything, but it's a weapon you can spawn with, and that's what makes it so cheap. If used right, boltshot can beat any power weapon out there.

End of Story, all other points are not valid

• 2 weeks later...

Any weapon that can double as a marksmen rifle and shotgun is OP. I damn well guarantee those trying to defend it are those same scrubs who wh0re it while hiding in a corner waiting for people to run past for an easy kill.

NO reason to rebirth a thread that is two weeks old, everyone clearly knows it's OP by now. Also, it should be converted into a map drop or ordinance if they don't nerf it. The only time I use it is when I stop a flag in their base and their play drops one for me. Then it's an easy 4-6 kills with it.

The Boltshot is OP and thats more a fact than anything else at this stage.

I use it all the time, in many situations I am running around with it more than a primary (for shame I know), it takes little or no skill to use or aim as centre mass is easy to hit.

If you do miss your first shot there are many times you have time to take a second shot which is deplorable to be honest.

Its range often exceeds what it should be, maybe this is down to some form of lag or game issue but I get kills and often think 'how the hell did I get that one'.

Its got plenty of ammo so the fact it uses half a clip per kill is irrelevant.

I find it funny that people still claim it not to be OP, I know its OP as I use it more than anyone should use a secondary, the other secondaries do not even come close,

• Like 1

After playing for the last few weeks, and coming back to this thread, I now feel that the Boltshot is... Extremely good. OP is suggestive, but it is a really, really useful weapon. And you know you might have a problem when I question picking up a needler or even SCATTERSHOT in place of my boltshot. The boltshot is more consistent at one shotting than the scattershot too. The scattershot is the most random gun in the game.

Being able to spawn with ANYTHING that can ONESHOT a person without any other interaction besides that weapon hitting a player has no place in halo. Make it a map drop, make it an ordanace drop. Not a spawn drop.

Oh and to the OP, the range of the charge shot is FAR outside melee range. If you get lucky sometimes you can oneshot a player up to 15 feet away.

I'm very tempted to upload a video of a capture the flag game I had on harvest where I butchered an entire team with the boltshot multiple times, at ranges that were unreasonable at best. Until the weapon gets nerfed I will continue abusing the crap out of it because it IS over powered. The skill it takes to abuse and kill with is close to null when you get used to the charge mechanics of the weapon.

Think about this, when is the last time you were killed by the single fire function on the boltshot? Never? Yeah thats what I thought. That should throw up a red flag that the weapon design itself is inbalanced. With the charge shot being too good, and the single shots being too crappy.

After playing for the last few weeks, and coming back to this thread, I now feel that the Boltshot is... Extremely good. OP is suggestive, but it is a really, really useful weapon. And you know you might have a problem when I question picking up a needler or even SCATTERSHOT in place of my boltshot. The boltshot is more consistent at one shotting than the scattershot too. The scattershot is the most random gun in the game.

I totally agree with you about the scattershot man. Sometimes it gets a oneshot kill at midrange, and then sometimes point blank it doesn't? Very odd weapon that's true to its name I guess.

Its power has increased in my eyes after using it awhile too. I don't like the idea of it NOT being a 1-shot kill though, simply because I want to encourage 343 to keep doing the things they did right. I will explain:

343 dramatically decreased the melee lunge. This was SUCH A GOOD THING! The melee lunge was the primary problem with ALL melee-related complaints in previous games. As usual the people complaining are frequently complaining about the wrong things, they aren't wrong to get mad about certain things, but they often fail to identify the real source of their problem. In the case of weapons whose primary purpose was to set up a melee, the melee lunge was absolutely critical. That was the real reason people had a hard time with people going for the AR-melee in Halo 3, that was the real reason people had a problem with double melees in Halo: Reach.

Without that lunge which was introduced in Halo 2 and got bigger and bigger, weapons that are designed to set up a melee (like a plasma pistol, mauler from Halo 3, or the hypothetical version of the boltshot people suggest which just drops shield) simply don't do that well. How many times have you found yourself punching the air in Halo 4 while your opponent backpedalled and shot you in the face? That happens because you're used to the melee lunge from previous games.

I can see reducing the boltshot's 1-shot kill range by increasing its spread, but I think it needs to stay a 1-shot kill. If it's not a 1-shot kill it has no purpose at all. Yeah I've headshotted people with it too, but you know that it's not designed to do that job very well.

The melee lunge corrected the problem of people running into melee, missing, and then losing track of each other, but it was very inconsistent and eventually really hurt the game. In order for the boltshot to work as a shoot + melee weapon you need that big lunge, which the game is better without, so it needs to stay 1-shot kill at a certain range.

I also still don't have a huge problem with it as it is btw, just because everyone sort of assumes you have one and keeps their distance anyway (Tried goofing around with a storm rifle on Adrift today, it was incredible how fast people backpedalled to keep me out of my ideal range). I DO see what people dislike about it though, because I've kept myself alive with it in situations where I should have been extremely dead, but overall I think I prefer that people have something that they can rely on in their secondary slot. Even if they're much better with it than I am.

Also I apologize if my arguments seem to get to their point in a roundabout way sometimes. I tend to look at the situation in which the weapons exist rather than just at the weapons. I'd seen the idea of reducing its damage to just set up a melee a few times and realized that wouldn't work in Halo 4, but I had to explain why. Often a fix for one problem creates another.

I don't have a problem with it being one shot, but the range needs to cut by at least 1/2 if not more, beyond that it should only take 1/2 shield not full. Current kill distance is 7-8 body lengths, while lunge distance is only 3, while taking full shields down is outside the damage zone of a shotgun. Yeah, I said OUTSIDE the damage zone.

Still random at that distance but at almost 12-14 body lengths the boltshot can still make you 1 shot, WTF? Could miss, but can hit. It should miss period at that range.

This is a get out of jail free card more often then not. "He's one shot!" Guy rounds corner to clean kill (full health) "SOB! THIS GUN NEEDS TO GO!" <-- that should not happen with a spawning weapon

This is a get out of jail free card more often then not. "He's one shot!" Guy rounds corner to clean kill (full health) "SOB! THIS GUN NEEDS TO GO!" <-- that should not happen with a spawning weapon

It is definitely a get out of jail free card, but I feel like this game throws you in jail much more often than it should. Until they reduce the shield recharge delay, for example, I hope I can keep spawning with a 1sk boltshot. 6 seconds is a very long time to be one-shot though, and I think it hurts the game a lot more than the boltshot. The boltshot actually makes that 6 seconds more tolerable because you have a chance of defending yourself when you're cornered. Some people may argue that if you get cornered you deserve to die, but in Halo 4 you get cornered just for being alive in the first place.

Not entirely disagreeing, just looking at a big picture.