A Compromise To The Weapon Balance

Flippant Sol

How should we balance the weapons?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What should we do to the DMR?

• We should decrease the damage count of the DMR to 75%.
    • We should increase the weapon bloom of the DMR to 110%.
    • We should leave the DMR unchanged.
  2. 2. What should we do to the Battle Rifle?

• We should increase the damage count of the Battle Rifle to 110%.
    • We should increase the chamber rate of the Battle Rifle to 125%.
    • We should leave the Battle Rifle unchanged.

Too many, I mean WAY too many people are complaining about how weapons are more overpowered, the DMR is stronger than the Battle Rifle, blah, blah, blah. So to prevent you haters from exploding the forums, share your beliefs here. DISCLAIMER: I am NOT the official thread for this. Speaking of the devil, let's see the compromise that is better than your's:

MINE

• Increase weapon bloom for the DMR to 110%
  • Increase chamber rate for the Battle Rifle to 125%
  • Decrease weapon range for the Storm Rifle to 90%
  • Decrease weapon spread for the Storm Rifle to 90%
  • Increase damage count for the Covie Carbine to 125%
  • Replace hit-scan system for the Battle Rifle
  • Decrease firing latency for the Fuel Rod Cannon to 50%

YOURS

• Decrease damage count for the DMR to 75%

Do you see who has a more valid point here? Just because what I'm asking for is bigger does not mean that it will less likely happen. I also implemented a poll for you viewers so that you can battle out the compromise yourself.

:)

Could you briefly explain in Layman's terms what the 'chamber rate' is? Thanks in advance m8.

I was thinking about explaining that, but...any who, chamber rate is a principle for burst action weapons that basically means the time it takes to refill the chamber after an entire burst has fired. This is not necessarily fire rate, as to fire rate would be how quick it takes to fire the burst. so in other words, if we were to increase the rate, to 125%, that would mean that if we fire 40 bursts in twenty seconds with 100%, we would fire 50 founds in twenty seconds with 125%. :good:

I like the idea of the BR having less down time between bursts, I don't think the DMR should be changed.

The BR will kill in 5 bursts and the DMR will kill in 5 shots. I think this is fine, keep the damage of both the same.

Also thx for making a place where people can discuss this and not fill all of the forums complaining.

I like the idea of the BR having less down time between bursts, I don't think the DMR should be changed.

The BR will kill in 5 bursts and the DMR will kill in 5 shots. I think this is fine, keep the damage of both the same.

Also thx for making a place where people can discuss this and not fill all of the forums complaining.

yes lets keep buffing starting loadout weapons so power weapons have less and less of a place

DMR TTK should be at least 1.8 seconds, BR 1.6, switch them, now BR dominates in its range, and DMR is still competitive kill time but effective at longer range.

just buffing the BR is a comment by someone who isnt taking into account unversal gun balance or just wants a precision weapon gamestyle. buffing the BR without nerfing the DMR would mean we need to buff the automatic weapons so they still hold ground in short range gameplay, which would make them encroach on things like the SAW ordnance drop.

tho i admit ive seen lots of players try to talk about how precision weapons should be the only viable guns in the game /sigh

yes lets keep buffing starting loadout weapons so power weapons have less and less of a place

DMR TTK should be at least 1.8 seconds, BR 1.6, switch them, now BR dominates in its range, and DMR is still competitive kill time but effective at longer range.

just buffing the BR is a comment by someone who isnt taking into account unversal gun balance or just wants a precision weapon gamestyle. buffing the BR without nerfing the DMR would mean we need to buff the automatic weapons so they still hold ground in short range gameplay, which would make them encroach on things like the SAW ordnance drop.

tho i admit ive seen lots of players try to talk about how precision weapons should be the only viable guns in the game /sigh

If you believe in something different, do not hesitate nor use sarcasm to directly indicate your opinion.

I understand that any sort of change could cause a ripple effect that could alter the inter flow of gameplay as well as could push some weapons into irrelevance. Balancing any weapon set is difficult, time consuming, and much debated.

The real problem is that all 4 precision rifle type weapons are very similar and it is difficult to have each have its own personality, still function in a competitive way, and fit in so that each fulfills a particular role.

It is obvious that the community has a problem when comparing the BR and DMR, there is no solution that will satisfy everyone and yes we should also look at the impact it would have on not only the 4 starter precision rifles but on the weapon set as a whole.

The roles of the BR and DMR need to be flushed out better somehow. Making the BR shoot its bursts a little faster might work. So could slowing the DMR a little, so could slowing the DMR a lot and making it stronger. There needs be some change and I think we should discuss it intelligently.

Might simply switching their TTK's make the BR over powered and then we would all be discussing how to tone the BR down?

What if the BR did kill in slightly less time, but was slightly less accurate then it is now and the DMR fired slightly slower. Now I am talking very minute changes like fractions of a second.

the idea of switching ttk on BR/DMR is to give the BR a area of dominance with the precision weapons. would it be OP? i dont think so, tho im not a authority.

i think if we had to choose between speeding up TTK and slowing it, slowing it would be better, you can slow it without it having a rippling impact on all the other guns aside from hte presicion weapons. speeding it up causing a crunch effect where if things get too close, we will have some starting weapons much closer to power weapons in the start.

If BR is increased, there will be no reason to choose Carbine or LR..If they gonna change something,it should be the DMR's close combat damage.It shouldn't be effective at close range that much imo...

I do agree on the account that the Stromboli Rifle (a funny name for it) not being able to compete, but if one weapon were to change, I would change them all, as I said with before.

If BR is increased, there will be no reason to choose Carbine or LR..If they gonna change something,it should be the DMR's close combat damage.It shouldn't be effective at close range that much imo...

If we tossed 2 noobs into a Box one what an AR and one with a DMR the AR user would win most of the time. If you did a Skilled player with the AR and a noob with a BR or DMR the AR would probably win 100% of the time because it is hard to aim. If you switched the weapons. The AR noobs might win some cause the DMR user can't miss shots to win. I need to find some octagon maps.

No, bloom should never be increased. Bloom doesn't belong on a precision weapon, it is better suited towards automatic weapons. What 343i should do is decrease the rate of fire slightly and the DMR would be perfect, because that's the ONLY problem with the DMR: It can fire shots slightly faster than the BR, and the Carbine is weak so that's why it is winning in most situations. If the firing rate was decreased slightly, the DMR would be able to maintain its advantage at longer ranges whilst giving the other precision weapons a chance at shorter ranges. Problem solved. But whatever 343 does, they should not reintroduce a mechanic that played its part in Reach's downfall.

No, bloom should never be increased. Bloom doesn't belong on a precision weapon, it is better suited towards automatic weapons. What 343i should do is decrease the rate of fire slightly and the DMR would be perfect, because that's the ONLY problem with the DMR: It can fire shots slightly faster than the BR, and the Carbine is weak so that's why it is winning in most situations. If the firing rate was decreased slightly, the DMR would be able to maintain its advantage at longer ranges whilst giving the other precision weapons a chance at shorter ranges. Problem solved. But whatever 343 does, they should not reintroduce a mechanic that played its part in Reach's downfall.

It is not bloom if it is fully automatic, so therefore, your reasoning is questionable.

Now its not necessarily the bloom or damage of the DMR that bugs me, its the range at which the reticule turns red. While the BR's reticule stays red only at close to slightly medium distances, the DMR stays red from close to long ranges. You may argue that the BR is better at close range, which is mostly true, but the sad truth is that the DMR performs much more effectively at many more ranges. The way I see it is that its not a damage or a bloom issue, its more of a versatility issue, which again relates back to the distance at which the reticule turns red.

just increase the chamber rate for the BR. It will get a faster rate of fire which will make it more dominant in mid/close range situations compared to the DMR. The DMR will still be effective at mid range and keep its long range advantage (just like it was meant to have)