Disappointed in 343's attempt at a better MMing

Orewa Shinigami

I made an account just to vent my disappointment, apologies for the repeat points. I've been playing Halo 4 for a couple days now, and as it stands, I'm just so sad that it's come to this. The first few matches were fun, but after I felt that this wasn't Halo at all. I dislike the CoD influence in the making of this game. If I wanted to play CoD, I would've bought Modern Warfare 3 and preordered Black Ops 2.

This is just my opinion. If you will reply to this, I want you to disagree/agree with me and back it up :) I want to see how other players are thinking.

The Good:

Maps? I guess

Some playlists have killcams.

Primary weapon selection lets DMR/BR/AR lovers do what they want.

I'm not sure to be honest.

The Bad:

The lack of variety in playlists. Although I'm pretty sure I heard that 343 is adding playlists, I don't like them as of right now. Big Team Battle, an old favorite of mine was changed into pure 8v8 slayer. I liked BTB because it had a variety of assault, CTF, slayer, and territories. Also the

Perks. 343 had to limit the Spartans' abilities in order to create these. They decreased Spartan shield regen time in order to create a perk, they removed the ability to pick up 'nades for one.

Also less starting ammo was a bad choice.

The dominance of the Mantis, Scorpion, and Wraith purely because it is so hard to get your hands on an anti vehicle weapon. The Mantis especially has a missile, melee, and turret all for one person.

Sprinting for everyone. This was a bad idea in my opinion purely because now everyone can run as well as use an armor ability. I liked Reach's method where you had to choose between an armor ability or mobility. Also this was the cause for my next bad thing.

Stopping power. Guns stop you from sprinting, no matter the direction or gun that is being shot at you. It twitches your screen and slows you by like 50%. My biggest pet peeve is being slowed when being shot FROM BEHIND.

Dropping in during games. Why is this bad? Well first of all, the minor negative thing is that you join the losing team. But the BIGGER effect is that 343 removed the penalty for quitting games. What does this induce? More quitting and rejoining other games. This results in more games that have lost players. Also, I noticed how my teammates are never dropped in until later on when the game is completely loss. Please create an option to not join in game. OR delete it as a whole.

Streak rewards add an RNG(Random number generator) system that doesn't seem fit to belong in Halo. One guy can be lucky and get a rocket launcher while another gets a needler, not too fitting.

Deletion of infection options. Maybe it's just because I can't find the options, but you cannot change the weaponry of the zombies. This eliminates many custom games, one being duck hunt. In Halo 3, infection was the one custom game type that was used. This is almost as bad as Halo Reach deleting Alpha Zombie. Also, what if I don't want my zombies to look like the flood?

The absence of neutral weaponry is my greatest irk. It REMOVES a lot of things Halo...from Halo. It removes rushing towards an area to grab a certain weapon, or staying near it to grab it later on. Also, when I'm on a spree or just in cover, I do not want to run out into the battlefield in order to get ammo (the absence of DMR/BR ammo) It also removes a whole lot of anti-vehicle weaponry in big team ..slayer.

As I said up top, please comment telling me whether or not you agree or disagree with me on certain points. Thanks for reading if you did!

• Like 2

I have to agree with a few things.

Ammo - I never used to run out of ammo with the DMR, but now it's like everytime I have any kind of important spree, I'm fresh out of ammo.

The variety thing - definitely hoping that a LOT gets added, not just SWAT and Grifball like most people want.

Perks - yea, sleight of hand, blast shield, scavenger ... oh wait, nevermind. I mean dexterity and all that jazz. Anyways, Those are pretty annoying too, giving big edges to people in certain situations.

Vehicles - Mantis is so cheap, Wraith somehow got better imo, and the Ghosts are SO ANNOYING. There's like, 50 in every game type wtf. Anyways, Scorpion, Banshee, and Gauss Hog are all just shadows of what they used to be.. /:

I actually like the sprint, however.

And stopping power, as you put it. Yes, the baywatch runs are annoying.

You guys are nuts. I have a few things to say to this post but let me start it off by saying your nuts. What would be the point of comming out with a new game, A NEW ONE, and making it the same as halo 3. Halo 2 was different than halo 3. Halo 2 was significantly different than halo 1. I have my gripes about the ranking system. I think there should be something similar to what halo 2 and 3 had but thats something that can be implemented later. I got faith in 343.

1.) The lack of variety. The games been out for like what 4 days? whos to say they wont introduce new playlists perodiocally over time or even something like a weekly playlist. Its hard to say there is a lack of playlists when the games only been out for a few days. Yes they had plenty of time to develop playlists but maybe adding in new ones over time is their plan.

2.)IDK about you but i rarley run out of ammo. my DMR may occasionally come close to being out of ammo but thats only if i have been reckless and was firing rounds at a corner hoping to catch somebody in my croshairs. I use the perk where you can have two primary weapons and so i have a dmr and an assault rifle and that really helps me conserve ammo as i have an effective mid to close range weapon and an effective long range one. Also theres a perk for picking up grenades which i geuss goes hand in hand with your complaint about perks. Yes i think perks are a bit CoD ish but they are pertant to Halo. I mean its really quit silly to compare this game at all to CoD. I have 2 TVs in my living room and my buddy plays CoD and i play halo 4. We switch from time to time and its night and day how insanly different the two games are. I like perks. I think they are neet. I like having the ability to increase the blast size of my nades considering i feel the radius is quit small as of now.

3.) Ya the mantis is pretty brutal. i think it could use some tweaking considering its near impossible to kill with regular guns. Ghosts are everywhere but seriously how easy are they to kill. I agree the mantis and wratih need tweaking. One of a couple points i think ur pretty accurate on.

4.)I didnt play much reach. maybe only one or two times with friends but i did play halo 3 a week before halo 4 release (which was a mistake consideirng they changed all the controls on me). That game was crazy slow paced compared to this. I mean its a bit dull when i have to run across a huge open map at the speed of a normal marine. Shudnt a spartan be a little faster.

5.)i really never noticed i was being slowed down. haha. maybe its just me.

6.) Amen to this. ive been getting really tired of joining a game, schooling some kids in the first 30 seconds, and then sitting and waiting for somebody to fill their spot after they left. they need to "punish" the player like the used to in halo 3. remember that? "do you want to leave" "yes punish me i am a bad teammate" haha i always liked that.

7.)its actually usually a bad option to take the gun every time. Ive noticed that the over shield and the damage enhance are REALLLLYYY awsome. the damage enhance durns the DMR into a dang sniper. just a tip from a guy whos almost 50, dont go the gun every time.

8.)if thats really the case just make ur own custome game :) you can do the same thing that we used to do in halo 3. the honor system. oh ur dead. go switch teams. find some friends and put together ur own infection game. i think its a really nice change of pace from blowing peoples heads off with the DMR. i play it maybe 1 every 7 games and its nice to have something pretty different. Oddball also helps me in times of playlist boredom.

9.) there are neutral weapon spawns at the beginning of every game. the sniper always spawns in the back of the blue teams base and the top of that building for red teams base in complex. the scatter shot is always downstairs in the center on haven. There is a effeciancy? idk what they are called that u get when u reach 50 where u know when the next weapon spawn is comming and where.

thats all i got. i love the game. i understand some of the points ur putting out there but this game is great fun once u really start to get the hang of it. the shield for example is fantastic. i have made some silly things happen with the quick twitch of my shield. promethean vision. WHAT A DELIGHT on adrift. oh man i cant tell u how many kills thats nabbed me. Its a different game yes, but just give um some time to mold it into the experience that everybody wants. its been not even a week yet.

You seem to be one of the few people who think this. This game feels nothing like Halo 3.

I'm another one that thinks the game feels alot like Halo 3. Just now with the added classes/loadouts, there isn't that "OH **** LETS DO THIS" feeling when you see Team BR on well... I'll say Gaurdian since that was one map everyone mutually loved.

Once 343 introduces more game types/playlists, and introduces more maps, the game will start to return to what people were accustomed too, but 343 Industries take.

While they have brought in elements that were featured in COD and other games, the game does not feel like COD at all. It feels more like halo 3 then I could ever have imagined

i agree...when i first saw videos i thought this might be another Reach,thank god its not becuase that "game" was horrible in everyway.

my only complaint is that the Spartan Laser/Rockets dont appear enough,i can use my BR/stickies and i do but its just too much to have to focus on the sky for that period of time. i find it kind of funny that some people cant get kills without vehicles,while i hardly step foot in a vehicle and still get more kills than them most of the time.

on a somewhat related topic, on the bungie forums today a kid was complaining that armor lock was gone... i almost pissed my pants laughing.

While they have brought in elements that were featured in COD and other games, the game does not feel like COD at all. It feels more like halo 3 then I could ever have imagined

I actually completely agree with this. There are elements of CoD, but if people are honest with themselves, every FPS today has elements of different shooters in their overall formula.

Obviously, I don't make games for a living (for a lack of imagination), but I really can't imagine a truly innovative characteristic that 343i could have implemented into H4 that wouldn't have been similar to SOMETHING from games like CoD or BF. Right now, there doesn't appear to be too much to do that hasn't been done before in some facet.

Still, I feel like I'm playing an updated Halo 3 with some more bells and whistles. There are things I like and certainly things I don't like, but it's a great game and it FEELS like Halo.

I'm not sold on ordinance drops. I feel like the tactical balance has been compromised by allowing anyone who is on a decent kill streak to get a power weapon. Now, instead of say pinpointing dude who has the snipe and forming a tactical plan for eliminating him and gaining leverage of the sniper rifle, you have 3 or 4 dudes with a snipe who are hailing down bullets on you from all over the map. I feel like ordinance and points based scoring have stripped Halo of a lot of it's "halo-ness."

• Like 1

im sorry, whoever thinks this game is like halo 3 is a moron. this game has barely anything similar to 3. the ranking system in this game is terrible and 100% like cod. there is no more competitiveness like halo 2 or 3. "lets let u level even though you lost." yep, that has cod written all over it.

• Like 1

I'm not sold on ordinance drops. I feel like the tactical balance has been compromised by allowing anyone who is on a decent kill streak to get a power weapon. Now, instead of say pinpointing dude who has the snipe and forming a tactical plan for eliminating him and gaining leverage of the sniper rifle, you have 3 or 4 dudes with a snipe who are hailing down bullets on you from all over the map. I feel like ordinance and points based scoring have stripped Halo of a lot of it's "halo-ness."

True, I agree with this.

Also it's fun for me to read other players' opinions :) thanks.

@ nightfiree

6.) Amen to this. ive been getting really tired of joining a game, schooling some kids in the first 30 seconds, and then sitting and waiting for somebody to fill their spot after they left. they need to "punish" the player like the used to in halo 3. remember that? "do you want to leave" "yes punish me i am a bad teammate" haha i always liked that.

I honestly can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. I honestly don't like the punishment system all too much, but I hate how the removal of it removes the incentive to stay in a game.

"While they have brought in elements that were featured in COD and other games, the game does not feel like COD at all. It feels more like halo 3 then I could ever have imagined".

This couldn't be more wrong at all. Yes Halo 4 is way better than reach, but Halo 3 multiplayer destroys this....by far. The game has turned into COD practically, custom loadouts, killstreaks, kill cam, join in progress...must I go on? Granted I hate most of these aspects because they take away the competitiveness and skill from the game, I do enjoy the factor that I start with a BR every single time, that is a definite improvement, but sadly besides that.....

Frozty

• Like 1

if you honestly think those four aspects you just mentioned turn the game from halo to COD......then maybe you should take another look at halo. Did they make you jump a centimeter off the ground? did they make you die in every firefight an instant? at it's core, this game is still halo.

Personally tI have gripes with 3 things, I'm not entirely confortable with is the personal ordinance, more because of the loss of power weapon spawns. I do believe it's a nice idea but it leads to way to many power weapons at one time. JIP should be taken out IMO, it just doesn't work plus I'm assuming it factors into my other gripe, the terrible player matching pre-games.....seriously starting in a lobby of 4 players then ending up in a 3 v 1 game is beyond stupid

The multiplayer needs some serious updating. I'm having fun, but the lack of variety is putting a damper on things. I've played 'Haven' so many times, I'm thinking of buying it and starting a Real Estate business. Thing should improve with map packs, but how long can 343i keep the players happy? Crimson isn't available until December.

I will agree, some features to this game are similar to COD, BUT this is DEFINITELY HALO!

Yes there are killcams, loadouts, etc., which I think add to the game. Every Halo that has come out has been an improvement over the last and this is no exception. Despite some COD'ish features, the essence of the game is HALO, period.

I must admit, when I first started playing it and I wasn't used to the game mechanics I was thinking to myself... OMG this is f***ing MW3 -- but I kept playing it and as I played it more, I learned the beauty of the system. I started to realize just how wrong I was, and how this game felt like any other HALO I had every played.

At first the game seemed much more fast-paced with the new-found power of the assault rifle and everybody having sprint. I started thinking that it's just like COD, you sprint around, spray some bullets, your opponet dies and you move on. But then I started figuring out how to manipulate the new game mechanics into strategy, and before I knew it, I was playing a new and improved Halo.

This is a great game! The best Halo yet and I'm having a ton of fun with it. I'm a die-hard Halo fan, I played MW3 on my PS3 and didn't like it.

Halo is the best FPS, period.

Am I the only one here who actually liked Reach and thought it was a great game? The only bad thing about reach was armor lock because it was such a newbie skill, other than that, the rest of the game was pretty awesome. Reach was all about precision, head hunting, period. With good strategy owning in reach was pretty simple. And I loved Reach SWAT with the precision of the DMR, man that was fun. Magnum SWAT was pretty entertaining as well.

I thought the armor abilities were a huge improvent over Halo 3, though the only one I mainly used was Sprint and occasionally active camo. Reach was great, magnum was over-powered but fun to snap off a clip of the magnum on someone sprinting at you with the sword and watch them collapse at your feet.

I do think I like Halo 4 better than Reach though, and I REALLY liked Reach. I played Reach right up until Halo 4 came out. I can't wait until they have more playlists and maps on Halo 4. With Halo, perfection takes time, which is why a new Halo only comes out every few years, other than a new COD every 6 months.

There are an alarming number of ways in which 343 attempted to build a successful game by mimicking COD:

1) loadouts

2) grenade indicators

3) killcam

4) ordinance drops

5) point system, instead of kill number

6) "Spartan" Ops closely to Spec Ops

Halo 4 nerfs good players, and tries to make the game interesting to new players with easy kills and unlockable abilities. In reality, 343 has ended the unique and competitive experience that was Halo.

This "evolution" is just an attempt to outsell COD.

Bungie is laughing their heads off, as 343 attempts to outperform COD by imitation.

Halo took some aspects of cod but it doesn't play or feel like cod. There are still shields, BR's and AR's. Your complaint of being slowed down while being shot is there to balance out the sprinting. If you could just run away from all the mistakes you have made, then it would be pointless.

There are an alarming number of ways in which 343 attempted to build a successful game by mimicking COD:

1) loadouts

2) grenade indicators

3) killcam

4) ordinance drops

5) point system, instead of kill number

6) "Spartan" Ops closely to Spec Ops

Halo 4 nerfs good players, and tries to make the game interesting to new players with easy kills and unlockable abilities. In reality, 343 has ended the unique and competitive experience that was Halo.

This "evolution" is just an attempt to outsell COD.

Bungie is laughing their heads off, as 343 attempts to outperform COD by imitation.

Interesting outlook on things. I do agree that 343 is attempting to outsell CoD by imitation.