Why I loved the Halo 4 Campaign! *SPOILERS*

Jeff Hall

Just finished Legendary Solo Campaign. Everybody says it was hard, but I found it to be super easy. Loved it though, I felt like I was in a new scene every mission. and now here come the spoilers

*SPOILERS*

*SPOILERS*

*SPOILERS*

*SPOILERS*

I loved when I was able to fly the Pelican, people have waited to fly and battle ready one for ages. In reach you could fly a normal one to get a hang of the controls, but not like this. I loved how you were able to jump from lich to lich, but really just held onto one and flew under the shields into the slip space rupture. I thought Chief was going to pull some crazy spartan **** there for a second.

Flying the Broadsword was epic. It's everything I think an aerial game should be. Great controls, great boost increase, easy to control and powerful guns. Well addition to the campaign although I felt like I was playing Star Wars after I flew in the tiny hole to blow up the Didact's ship. #DeathStar

The Mammoth. Oh baby I loved that thing. The AI drivers are complete idiots though. I had one guy driving my Gauss hog and he literally drove into the same rock for 10 minutes straight. He drove into it, backed up and repeated. I finally ended up doing the Hog part solo on Legendary. but oh well.

I loved the Gondola scene, took me back to Legend of Zelda where the Shadow temple had Gondolas and skeletons would jump over to yours and try to kill you, but this time snipers opposed you and you had to rush in there guns blazing and power up your gondola again, it was so epic.

Those are the major parts of the campaign that made me feel awsome, and the ending! Oh the ending was something special all it's own. For over 10 years we've had Cortana by our side, fighting with us, for us, and inside all of our hearts. Loved how it ended though even though the feels were really strong. How she saved him and was finally able to touch him as a human would, her final wish. As for the Legendary ending I would say hell yeah! Finally being able to see Master Chief's face (well just the eyes) was amazing at that. You could see wrinkles which made me think how old is the Chief, what shape is the rest of his body in under the suit? Is he a walking killer raisin? All these questions were asked, some were answered, some weren't. Can't wait until the next game 343 decides to throw at us!

Just like the 1st Halo game (Combat Evolved), this game is going to be the reason many people buy Xboxes.

Viva La 343!

• Like 1

On ledgendary solo! That's impressive i just finally beat it on easy, which of course was super easy. I fairly enjoyed the campaign as well, it had many twists and turns i was not fully excpecting. The mammoth was pretty sweet, i didn't find flying the pelican as exciting just because i did it in halo reach, but it was still fun, all in all i thought it was a great additon to the halo franchise!

I really enjoyed the campaign. Like you, I played it on Legendary for my first playthrough and to be honest, before getting close to the release date of Halo 4, I was very apprehensive but as a Halo CE day one purchase fan who has followed the series since, I can safely say that it was probably my favourite game out of the lot.

It was a MASSIVE wink to the hardcore fans like me and others who have read all the books, and other lore and I thought the story telling in this game was particularly superior to its predecessors.

The music score in this title as well was amazing. When I first heard that Halo 4's soundtrack would sound very different to the Halo tunes we have loved since Halo CE, I couldn't picture it working but the new tunes that have been crafted for this have been fantastic.

One minor issue I did have however was the fact that (I don't know if it is just me) the sound quality drops during cutscenes. It goes from crystal clear sounds when playing to slightly muffled when using my surround sound headphones. It'd be good to get someone official to confirm if this is the case or not and why it happens.

**minor spoilers**

Another issue I had was with the first Halo 4 terminal cinematic with the Elite's talking. I'm nit-picking here I know, but their voices sounded strained and not fluent enough to sound natural. When they were speaking their 'language' to one another it just sounded like gibberish and didn't actually sound good at all. It was audibly easy to tell that the voice actors had no idea what they were saying either. I'm not sure if 343i used the services of the Language Creation Society or a group similar to assist in creating a Sangheili language but a suggestion I'd make is that perhaps in future, get whoever designed the language to sit near the recording booths to assist the voice actors with proper pronunciation of specific words or sentences.

One thing I thought was especially neat was the fact that it seemed as though some of the best moments in previous Halo titles were re-iterated in Halo 4 such as the warthog/ghost runs, the mission in the jungle environment, etc.

I've played Spartan Ops and finished it. I really liked how it was almost like a secondary short campaign but it was just too easy and short. I hope the next chapters are much longer and much harder.

I really like the multiplayer as well. Playing Flood mode is great (the only gametype I have played so far) but it scares the crap out of me whenever I get swarmed by Flood Spartans :P

So all in all, very happy with this title! Nice work 343i!

SPOILERS!!!

Halo has never been particulary big on sophisticated literary devices, the '' heroes journey '' and '' full circle '' would be kicked around a bit in some of the previous games but it never seemd to have much substance to it.

And, bloody hell, that sure changed in halo 4!

When they said that they were going to explore John as a person, they really weren't joking. The Prologue starts off with the questioning of whether John was succesful because he was, at his core, broken. It's continued throughout the game, Cortana asking John to find out which one of them is really the machine, and culminates in Lasky's dialogue at the end where he states that soldiers and humanity ( machine and man ) are not different.

On that subject of Lasky, his insistance that he '' is not about to let that man down '' at the end of the game really brought to mind Halo 4: Forward unto dawn. THere was an emotional motivation for Lasky in this scene, and there was an emotional motivation for myself as the Chief not to let him down.

John removing his armour in the Epilogue symbolises the exposure of his humanity for what's really the first time in the series. And it took a machine who really was more human than him to make him realise who he is. The conclusion has finally been drawn that he wasn't succesful because he was broken at his core, but the ''tools'' which Halsey supplied ( calling COrtana a tool itself being ironic) helped bring out the humanity in John and turned it into his greatest strength.

It's beautifully poetic, and is infinitely more sophisticated development for a character who was treated as a sterile brick for so long.

Halo 4's ending is how an ending to a particular character arc is done right and done well. Cortana's final words '' welcome home, John '' really did emotionally resonate within me and is the second game to make me brawl like a child. Cortana is a character we've been with for 11 years now. She got the exist she deserved and it had the impact it should.

Take from: ar7emis on BSN ( bioware social network )

Found it in a thread about why Halo 4's ending was so much better than ME3.

What he said basically sums up exactly what I thought of the ending, I just sat there fighting the tears ( I am a manly man damn it! lol ) and I still felt a tear running down my cheek.... It was SOOOOoooo good.

Thank you 343! You guys created an amazing game, and I can't wait to see the continuation of Chiefs journey. Halo is in good hands!

• Like 1