Thoughts of a Halo player

Riseing

Thats just the thing Riseing, you didn't even clarify a point, nor have you backed up the point. The post was just all opinion, with nothing to showcase why your opinion formed the way it did. making statements like "It plays like CoD", without showing anything to back that up, just makes you sound like a whiner with no thought behind his reasoning. THAT was the point I made in my post. I even went so far as to explain how and why you may be possibly feeling the way you do in MM...but whatever. if you want to just come in here and ***** mindlessly, feel free to do so.

And Dawn Wolf, well put my friend. Good to see we didn't gain yet another mindless, thoughtless member.

Lets just say I'm very disappointed with 343 and bungie. Ever since bungie came out with reach its just went down hill for me. I've been a huge halo fan boy since my brothers best friend used to come over and play halo 2. He got me hooked on the game. I played halo 2 all the time and when 3 came out I jumped on it and played it till reach came out. I played the reach campaign and it was alright but the multiplayer sucked. After a month of playing it got boring. There was no true ranking system. There was no point to play all day. My buddy had a higher rank than me because he played all the time but he sucked. There was no way of telling who was good and not. I was a little mad with bungie. I went back to playing halo 3 till 4 recently came out. Loved the campaign but the multiplayer sucks. It's to much like call of duty and other games. I always liked halo because it was its own slow paced game and took lots of skill. In halo 4 there is no ranking system just like reach and it's to fast pace. I played it for a couple weeks and I probably won't play it again. It's to boring with out the traditional ranking system. I'm starting to loose interest in the halo series and its sad because its always been the best franchise I think.

I really thought that the changes they did to Halo 4 would work out. I don't mind borrowing a concept from Call of Duty if it's proven to enhance the gaming experience. Other shooters borrowed regernerating health from Halo. No one cared at the time...

With that said... I think loadouts ruins a lot of the gameplay.

In Halo 4 you can spawn with a DMR, a weapon that can cover 75 % of Ragnarrok if you're in the middle. It's not like it was difficult or even hard work to aquire a BR in Halo 3, so why change it? To make the game more fast pace? That's the problem. Now no one cares about finding a weapon before going into battle, they just run towards the middle of the map and starts slaying. Weapon control is out of the picture and random drops rewards even the worst players...

So before you read what I have to say please take these points into account.

First, I am not attacking Bungie or 343i I am simply being honest with what I see.

Second, these are my thoughts and opinions I claim them as neither right nor wrong so do not assume otherwise. Third, if you post at least take the time to read what I’ve written.

I did read your post, and I can see it is fairly well thought out.

This response is coming from someone who completed all Halo games minus Halo Wars and Halo 3 ODST.

I’m not quite sure where to start so I guess I’ll begin by talking about how I think Halo really changed direction starting with Reach. For the past few years I have continued to play Halo 3 instead of Reach, I even resisted ever owning my own copy of Reach. Now this is not because Reach was/is bad but simply because I never quite saw the logical jump from H3 to it. I started playing halo back when 2 was launched and when I had a chance to get H3 I jumped on it. The jump from H2 to H3 felt natural, easy like it was the logical progression. Sure the game had changed but on the base level it still felt the same. Weapons had changed, maps had changed but at the core it still had the same feel of H2.

Well, you're right about there not being a consistency between H3 and Reach. I was also taken aback by the addition of many of the features, but not to say I was disappointed. I often played games that facilitated that "Old Halo" feel to a degree. Because the maps were not proportionally oversized for the size of the player, I thought it had a better flow to it. Not too fast paced, plenty of room to work, but not enough open room to slow down the game. H3 maps were just so huge that, in my opinion, it slowed down the pace of the game too much.

Fast forward a few years

Halo REACH comes out, new weapons, new maps, and armor abilities. From a Halo 3 point of view it’s not the same game. Sure it has Halo in the title but it fails to play like the Halo that I love. The game is faster, jet packs now add a new level of play. Sprint is like a bad dream, the game no longer has that feeling of calculated play. I feel like it’s reverting to who sees who first....and I hate it. So I don’t play it, I ignore it. I keep playing halo 3 because what else can I do? So I wait hoping that H4 will be my savior. Hoping that H4 will return Halo to the play style that I love.

I disagree with you about Reach. Sure there were many additions to the gameplay, but I think that going from the sluggish H3 to Reach is why it seemed more fast paced to you, but I never really felt like it was a rush play. The different gametypes were available if you didn't prefer the AA's, and I often took advantage of that. But sometimes, it was a lot of fun to play with the AA's (minus armorlockers, those dirtbags). Not to mention you were Spartan III's which were not as massive as the Spartan II's (chief). I really wish I could have seen (or would see with H4) gametypes where everyone uses the jetpack, because a straight up aerial slayer would be incredibly fun, I think.

Halo 4

- Weapon spawns are no longer a huge part of the game

- Power weapons are given out like candy

- Everyone has sprint AND an armor ability

- Ordinance drops

- A single player with a DMR can hold down just about anything they want to

- Perks, I really miss powerup spawns

Halo 4 is also quite unbalanced. For example plasma pistols have always had the abality to shutdown vehicles, but now you can simply spawn with one....see the problem here?

I'm still getting used to the fact that we can choose our loadouts. I don't mind so much that basically everyone has access to a specific set of the same power weapons each game, because it prevents any one person from powerhousing a weapon.

And I don't know about you, but I ain't scared of no gosh damned DMR.

Also, I agree with you on the plasma pistol. That should be something reserved for finding on the map for taking out vehicles.

My point is I think Halo has gotten too fast. Before it was never about speed but about tactics and true skill, I just don’t get that feeling anymore. I don’t feel like I’m playing Halo at all anymore but some hybrid monster. I don’t have the satisfaction of trying to gain rank as it’s exp based and not skill based. I doubt very many players would call H3 a “Stale copy” of H2, so why was the decision made to fix things that weren't broken. As a long term player I’m sad to see how the game has evolved, just another shooter with little to separate it from the rest. I will continue to play H4 because it's at heart a decent game, but the Halo that I knew died a while back.

Yes, H4 is much faster in gameplay. They threw in that instant spawn which rushes the gameplay and encourages impatience.

It is a different kind of Halo, but I personally am loving it as much as I did H2. It's on a simpler level, though. It's like the physics and the size of the battlefields and the size of the players fit, in my opinion. The pace is fast, but I don't believe it is unbalanced. It compensates that fast pace with having fairly open areas to play, but not so open that you can't ever find anyone (in a substantially populated game, obviously). I'm giving 343 a thumbs up with it.

I would also contemplate that the "fast pace" has to do with it being a young release thus far, and many new people are still popping in. I admit, although I've been through a lot of different Halos, I still got that nervous first few matches where I was for the first time competing and trying to learn how everything works. I think if there's a lot of that going on, then those particular games will seem frantic.

Good post, OP. I respect your perspective on it.

Again people...unless you can contribute something meaningfull to threads like this, stay the hell out and keep it shorter than it becomes. Spamming and posting nonsense makes it harder to read thru these threads and find relevance.

The guy has a right to his perspective, and every right to post it in an attempt to engage in a discussion. No need to try to shut folks down because you don't agree and you crave the last word on the matter. We're all just people here.

I'm not surprised that people who don't value gaming wholeheartedly enjoy what H4 is. It's good, but not the good that it should be. I like being able to sprint; it's nice. But the ability to be methodical in-game doesn't exist anymore. H3 was purrrrfect. The game had perfect speed at 110% speed (think MLG) and the mechanics besides bullet registry were there.

Reach, I won't comment on but ultimately, H4 is a combo of H3 and Reach. In other words, a combination that doesn't mix.

Thats just the thing Riseing, you didn't even clarify a point, nor have you backed up the point. The post was just all opinion, with nothing to showcase why your opinion formed the way it did. making statements like "It plays like CoD", without showing anything to back that up, just makes you sound like a whiner with no thought behind his reasoning. THAT was the point I made in my post. I even went so far as to explain how and why you may be possibly feeling the way you do in MM...but whatever. if you want to just come in here and ***** mindlessly, feel free to do so.

And Dawn Wolf, well put my friend. Good to see we didn't gain yet another mindless, thoughtless member.

I don't need to back my opinion up, plenty of people in this thread have done it for me.

Spam bot

Lets just say I'm very disappointed with 343 and bungie. Ever since bungie came out with reach its just went down hill for me. I've been a huge halo fan boy since my brothers best friend used to come over and play halo 2. He got me hooked on the game. I played halo 2 all the time and when 3 came out I jumped on it and played it till reach came out. I played the reach campaign and it was alright but the multiplayer sucked. After a month of playing it got boring. There was no true ranking system. There was no point to play all day. My buddy had a higher rank than me because he played all the time but he sucked. There was no way of telling who was good and not. I was a little mad with bungie. I went back to playing halo 3 till 4 recently came out. Loved the campaign but the multiplayer sucks. It's to much like call of duty and other games. I always liked halo because it was its own slow paced game and took lots of skill. In halo 4 there is no ranking system just like reach and it's to fast pace. I played it for a couple weeks and I probably won't play it again. It's to boring with out the traditional ranking system. I'm starting to loose interest in the halo series and its sad because its always been the best franchise I think.

Thank you!

Halo had to evolve.

P.S. 100 LIKES!!

Humans "have" to eat, breath, and sleep. Games "have" to do nothing. If it "needed" to evolve or not is a point you and I will have to disagree on

I really thought that the changes they did to Halo 4 would work out. I don't mind borrowing a concept from Call of Duty if it's proven to enhance the gaming experience. Other shooters borrowed regernerating health from Halo. No one cared at the time...

With that said... I think loadouts ruins a lot of the gameplay.

In Halo 4 you can spawn with a DMR, a weapon that can cover 75 % of Ragnarrok if you're in the middle. It's not like it was difficult or even hard work to aquire a BR in Halo 3, so why change it? To make the game more fast pace? That's the problem. Now no one cares about finding a weapon before going into battle, they just run towards the middle of the map and starts slaying. Weapon control is out of the picture and random drops rewards even the worst players...

Thank you!

I'm not surprised that people who don't value gaming wholeheartedly enjoy what H4 is. It's good, but not the good that it should be. I like being able to sprint; it's nice. But the ability to be methodical in-game doesn't exist anymore. H3 was purrrrfect. The game had perfect speed at 110% speed (think MLG) and the mechanics besides bullet registry were there.

Reach, I won't comment on but ultimately, H4 is a combo of H3 and Reach. In other words, a combination that doesn't mix.

Thank you!