Why the sellout to be like COD...?

Jence

I was just curious as to why 343 felt the need to copy COD and simply place it in the future...?

I understand business pretty well, but you guys had done fine without copying COD (See: Halo 3). I speak more directly to your ranking system. The TrueSkill system was the first of it's kind and despite it's flaws, it was a revolutionary first attempt.

Halo players are a unique bunch. Any TRUE fan knew that Halo was set apart and above all other shooters because if you played well and beat those ranked slightly better than you, your skill went up. (Disclaimer: I know Boosters ruined it). But that's where my next point comes in. Why decide to be part of the status quo? Why not put a few extra guys and gals on the problems with the TrueSkill system and set a precedent for how to reward a players skills online? It isn't fun just having to play a whole bunch to acheive a rank, unless you're a "BK"

I guess what I ask is that you please explain why you'd water a game down and have actual skill become irrelevant (See: Halo:Reach). As I said, I know you just want to sell more copies, but upon ruining a game with almost unrecognizable potential, both in how skill should be rewarded in shooters and becoming a leader in sci-fi video game design, you have also ruined the reputation of Halo entirely.

And on another note, you need to dismiss your map designers from your employ. Reach had the worst maps in the history of any FPS. With each successive map you designed, you only promoted more and more of the truly terribly-skilled players to camp even more.

While this Halo game has certainly made a large leap to appeal to the same kind of players who enjoy CoD (Pretty large leap), there is nothing that I have seen to resemble CoD in space.

However you've made some pretty valid arguments as to why you are disappointed in the game that I'd love to respond to, and I certainly encourage other people to consider before exploding in here and attacking him.

I definately share your concern with the lack of Trueskill. You're right that it was ruined by boosters but it was for sure more loved and successful than the Reach system.

As for the map design issues, 343i did not make the maps in Halo Reach that was still Bungie. I also might add that AA's and loadouts may have played a large role in the decreased quality of the maps.

Tired of hearing all these negative threads about HALO 4. I haven't even played it yet and you guys are kinda ruining the anticipation for me.....

I apologize, my friend. But if you're a true Halo fan, two minutes of Reach should've ruined all anticipation for any further Halo games. :)

While this Halo game has certainly made a large leap to appeal to the same kind of players who enjoy CoD (Pretty large leap), there is nothing that I have seen to resemble CoD in space.

I only speak to the ranking system, "perks", etc. Again, I know WHY they did it (money and to attract terrible players). but I never would've put it to the creators of the Halo franchise to sell out a game that has been held so dear by many millions of people.

I was just curious as to why 343 felt the need to copy COD and simply place it in the future...?

I understand business pretty well, but you guys had done fine without copying COD (See: Halo 3). I speak more directly to your ranking system. The TrueSkill system was the first of it's kind and despite it's flaws, it was a revolutionary first attempt.

Halo players are a unique bunch. Any TRUE fan knew that Halo was set apart and above all other shooters because if you played well and beat those ranked slightly better than you, your skill went up. (Disclaimer: I know Boosters ruined it). But that's where my next point comes in. Why decide to be part of the status quo? Why not put a few extra guys and gals on the problems with the TrueSkill system and set a precedent for how to reward a players skills online? It isn't fun just having to play a whole bunch to acheive a rank, unless you're a "BK"

I guess what I ask is that you please explain why you'd water a game down and have actual skill become irrelevant (See: Halo:Reach). As I said, I know you just want to sell more copies, but upon ruining a game with almost unrecognizable potential, both in how skill should be rewarded in shooters and becoming a leader in sci-fi video game design, you have also ruined the reputation of Halo entirely.

And on another note, you need to dismiss your map designers from your employ. Reach had the worst maps in the history of any FPS. With each successive map you designed, you only promoted more and more of the truly terribly-skilled players to camp even more.

No, just no....

Halo NEVER decided to be like CoD. It used popular mechanics, that suited the Halo Universe, not openly copying CoD. CoD sacrifices it's story for good MP, whereas Halo delivers on both, if not even better then CoD.

Halo has always been HALO, NOT COD, it will never be CoD .. EVER!!!

And i hate it when people comapre them to each other.

Its like comparing Mario Cart to Need for Speed because they both involve racing.... so people please stop the bloody comparisons and enjoy the damn game we have all waited 5 years for!!!

• Like 2

No, just no....

Halo NEVER decided to be like CoD. It used popular mechanics, that suited the Halo Universe, not openly copying CoD. CoD sacrifices it's story for good MP, whereas Halo delivers on both, if not even better then CoD.

Halo has always been HALO, NOT COD, it will never be CoD .. EVER!!!

And i hate it when people comapre them to each other.

Its like comparing Mario Cart to Need for Speed because they both involve racing.... so people please stop the bloody comparisons and enjoy the damn game we have all waited 5 years for!!!

You're the exact epitome of the problem. While i respect your decision to love Halo's new design, if you will, being that you probably never played previous versions or simply don't understand the need to want to be rewarded for good play, it's people like you that have forced the hand of the developers to ruin it's uniquity.

It's impossible by modern human understanding of the physics pertaining to the universe for true Halo fans to accept these last two attempts at Halo and "enjoy" it.

You're the exact epitome of the problem. While i respect your decision to love Halo's new design, if you will, being that you probably never played previous versions or simply don't understand the need to want to be rewarded for good play, it's people like you that have forced the hand of the developers to ruin it's uniquity.

It's impossible by modern human understanding of the physics pertaining to the universe for true Halo fans to accept these last two attempts at Halo and "enjoy" it.

Listen, i see where your coming from..... but really? Halo HAS to change, if it doesnt then it will just be the same ol game since halo 1 or 2. and quite frankly, everyone i play with is ecstatic with the system in place. These are people (who like myself) have played the game since 2001, i know what im talking about, and by comparing it to CoD your no better then a 12 year old CoD fan who bags Halo

I only speak to the ranking system, "perks", etc. Again, I know WHY they did it (money and to attract terrible players). but I never would've put it to the creators of the Halo franchise to sell out a game that has been held so dear by many millions of people.

Yes they included these game design features in order to attract CoD players (as is good bussiness sense) which undoubtedly resulted in the attraction of less skilled players...

But those are small small aspects in a very large game. It's unfair to make a comparison to CoD based on small stuff like that.

Listen, i see where your coming from..... but really? Halo HAS to change, if it doesnt then it will just be the same ol game since halo 1 or 2. and quite frankly, everyone i play with is ecstatic with the system in place. These are people (who like myself) have played the game since 2001, i know what im talking about, and by comparing it to CoD your no better then a 12 year old CoD fan who bags Halo

You're right, it does have to change. But what you fail to realize it that it doesn't have to change to be lumped into the exact same game as another [unrelated] franchise. Halo 1 and 2 were and still are the favorite of the series by the good, TRUE fans. Halo 3 had it's uniqueness as well.

As to you and your friends being so excited about the system in place, it can only suggest that skill is irrelevant to you. Furthermore, because of this fact, your opinion of the system holds no weight. All you kinds of people have done is completely ruin the most unqiue FPS in history (or stopped it short of becoming such)

And I'm like a 12 year old who bags Halo? Really, kid? You completely eliminated all weight with that statement. I'm not even sure why i wasted the above two paragraphs responding. :)

Careful what you say on this forum. They just deleted my "Graphics Suck" thread.

I know. That's why I'm remaining civil, despite the burning desire to attack these developers in a much more serious manner.

You're right, it does have to change. But what you fail to realize it that it doesn't have to change to be lumped into the exact same game as another [unrelated] franchise. Halo 1 and 2 were and still are the favorite of the series by the good, TRUE fans. Halo 3 had it's uniqueness as well.

As to you and your friends being so excited about the system in place, it can only suggest that skill is irrelevant to you. Furthermore, because of this fact, your opinion of the system holds no weight. All you kinds of people have done is completely ruin the most unqiue FPS in history (or stopped it short of becoming such)

And I'm like a 12 year old who bags Halo? Really, kid? You completely eliminated all weight with that statement. I'm not even sure why i wasted the above two paragraphs responding. :)

I know. That's why I'm remaining civil, despite the burning desire to attack these developers in a much more serious manner.

You cannot really tell anybody what a true Halo fan is. That's to say that all people who are fans of the Halo franchise must have the same opinion.

People enjoy different aspects of the game in different ways. No way that they will have the same exact ideas about how a game should be.

• Like 1

Yes they included these game design features in order to attract CoD players (as is good bussiness sense) which undoubtedly resulted in the attraction of less skilled players...

But those are small small aspects in a very large game. It's unfair to make a comparison to CoD based on small stuff like that.

It's these "small apsects" that completely determine if a game is good or bad. I know story is important, and that's fine. I've heard nothing but good about the story. I'm just mainly focusing on the multiplayer aspect, as it's personally all I do and it's the biggest factor in consumers purchasing it.

If I had the will and/or know-how, I'd like to find those that share similar opinions (well, facts) as me. I'd also be willing to put money on the fact that there's more that almost loathe the last two installments as opposed to the contrary.

Wow, i didnt think i could think of you as any lower.........but you succeeded in making me think that, congrats man :)

Im a TRUE Halo fan if ever there was one, skill DOES matter, but just because a game has a few things in place that are similar to another game DOES NOT make it the game by FAR.

They made it easier for other people to ATTRACT new people to the series, which is a good move, otherwise the fan base would dwindle. They need money to make Halo, they cant run of the dreams of idiots who are stuck in the past.

(Also ,ill be the bigger man here "kid" and say im sorry for the insults, but i obviously feel strongly about this, and we all have the right to our own opinon, so... im sorry )

• Like 1

Wow, i didnt think i could think of you as any lower.........but you succeeded in making me think that, congrats man :)

Im a TRUE Halo fan if ever there was one, skill DOES matter, but just because a game has a few things in place that are similar to another game DOES NOT make it the game by FAR.

They made it easier for other people to ATTRACT new people to the series, which is a good move, otherwise the fan base would dwindle. They need money to make Halo, they cant run of the dreams of idiots who are stuck in the past.

(Also ,ill be the bigger man here "kid" and say im sorry for the insults, but i obviously feel strongly about this, and we all have the right to our own opinon, so... im sorry )

The fact that you somehow miscontrue a non-personal stated fact as making me lower is pretty sad.

As to your apology, thank you. I would reciprocate the same, but you are not owed such. ;-)

It's these "small apsects" that completely determine if a game is good or bad. I know story is important, and that's fine. I've heard nothing but good about the story. I'm just mainly focusing on the multiplayer aspect, as it's personally all I do and it's the biggest factor in consumers purchasing it.

If I had the will and/or know-how, I'd like to find those that share similar opinions (well, facts) as me. I'd also be willing to put money on the fact that there's more that almost loathe the last two installments as opposed to the contrary.

1. Well that may be true but there are still true Halo fans that really enjoyed Halo Reach... while I was not one of them and you obviously were not by the look of it, whose to say that they aren't true fans.

2. Trying to pass of your opinions as facts on the internet makes you look incredibly stupid (sorry to say this but its the truth)

3. If Halo 4 was to borrow a rock texture from CoD (a small aspect) does that make Halo 4 CoD in space?

• Like 1

The fact that you somehow miscontrue a non-personal stated fact as making me lower is pretty sad.

As to your apology, thank you. I would reciprocate the same, but you are not owed such. ;-)

Really? So im gunna be the only one civil here?... fair enough...

You complain about the game not being based on skill anymore, and that you OBVIOUSLY know what everyone wants, what you fail to realise is that if Halo didnt change...there would be no Halo.

It hasnt even changed that much, it just made it easier for newcomers to the series to pick up the controller and play the game..

And any TRUE halo fan would know that the Campaign is what makes Halo "Halo" otherwise, it would just be another MP game with no purpose.....

• Like 1

I will be leaving this site for the time being. Developers, moderators, what have you, if you decide to help a true fan understand why such an amazing game's legacy has been nullified by means of selling out, feel free to message me.

And to those who read and responded, I thank you for your time and here's to hoping 343i, Bungie, Microsoft, etc decide to wake up one day. Then perhaps those of us true fans that have been forgotten can one day return and see "Halo" restored to it's previous glory.

I will be leaving this site for the time being. Developers, moderators, what have you, if you decide to help a true fan understand why such an amazing game's legacy has been nullified by means of selling out, feel free to message me.

And to those who read and responded, I thank you for your time and here's to hoping 343i, Bungie, Microsoft, etc decide to wake up one day. Then perhaps those of us true fans that have been forgotten can one day return and see "Halo" restored to it's previous glory.

too bad you're in the minority and most people thought TS was a failed experiment. I've been playing halo for 11 years, and halo4 is the best one since CE