Weapon Customizations w/out in-game effects?

GrayForce

Hey everyone,

I'm not really sure how Call of Duty's games work (since I'm not a fan of the series), so please don't condemn me with this post because of any similarities you see with that game or the series.

I saw in another thread how someone was upset with the idea of making weapons be customizable because it would relate too much to CoD4 or something. Well, how about this idea?:

Just like how in Halo: Reach, players can customize the look of their armor, but when you're in-game, those changes don't effect the actual game. You're all basically just generic Spartans with the same hit points (as in locations, not health) that anyone next to you has, except that appearance-wise, you're more shiny.

So in Halo 4, why not give players the options to add upgrades to their DMRs, for example? The upgrades would be just like the armor - they wouldn't effect the actual gameplay, but players could have more stuff on their guns to match their interests (such as snipers being able to have, say, red sniper view screens instead of green, or DMR users having a laser sight).

Really I don't know how these would all work out and it would probably take some tweaking, but I know the community probably doesn't like the idea of having weapon customizations that can change the game's outcome. Again, I'm not sure what the community thinks since I don't play Call of Duty, but I'm pretty sure some people might like to have some 'weapon upgrades' that are just personal and don't effect the game itself.

Thoughts?

Maybe, maybe not, you see that would give a player an advantage in accuracy, then, whats the point of it, you are going to switch your weponds anyway

but i would like some upgrades to make a wepond look bulkier or more perfesional,

but i dont know how that would work nicely in matchmaking

ps.

i think it would work great with the assasination knife, energy blade, and energy sword

I say the only thing you shuld ever customize in Halo Weapon Wise is your knife, and there would be a set of them you could buy and put on your armor, such as energy knife (Elite assassination in Reach), default, Kukri, Maybe a Katana that you can use to like kick someone on their knees and then slice their head off, but it would only be unlockable at high levels, etc.

I say the only thing you shuld ever customize in Halo Weapon Wise is your knife, and there would be a set of them you could buy and put on your armor, such as energy knife (Elite assassination in Reach), default, Kukri, Maybe a Katana that you can use to like kick someone on their knees and then slice their head off, but it would only be unlockable at high levels, etc.

I agree with most of that except for this:

Slicing their head off would be a little difficult, to my knowledge. You see, the reason why Halo: Reach only has it where you can break necks instead of slicing off heads is because the animation, the weapon activating, and of course all the other stuff going on in the background all requires scripts to be running. That, and the fact that if you cut off someone's head, the game now has to register two different objects appearing in an area rather than just the body. It's much easier to program an animation for having a neck twisted as opposed to having a head cut off and having particles appearing.

So maybe just doing something like with the Energy Sword where you can shove your sword through their back or something.

One of the biggest problems with games is trying to make things work within the processing power that the Xbox 360 allows. This is also why you don't see Infantry fighting off in the distance while you do see Scarabs, Banshees, Phantoms, Pelicans, Falcons, etc. They want to give you a feel for the field being a huge battleground, but not destroy the processing power of the 360 at the same time. You know how sometimes when a vehicle (such as a cruiser or scarab) explodes on your screen on Reach, it will often cause some framerate lag? Imagine that at a much higher scale and included in almost every battle... Reach just wouldn't have functioned / had players.

I'm a veteran of a game called Second Life and I've seen first hand just how bad lag / framerate issues can get due to player ignorance and trying to have the most epic stuff in the game just because they wanted it. There's a difference between what is wanted and what can be done... a lot of players get upset because there are some key elements of games missing that would interest them... but what it ultimately comes down to is how much stuff is running all at once and how much processing time is going to be required for each area.

(Trust me. I did Military combat in Second Life and it wasn't unusual for bullets to travel through walls, people to be killed because of lag-related instances, and of course with the most recent release of the game, the well known "Wall of Bullets" that would be created because of WAY too many things going on within a battlefield and causing bullets to pause during mid battle. They would resume after a short while and anyone unlucky enough to be out in the open would be obliterated. It's not fun, trust me... if you die in lag in that game, you crash).

BR, DMR CAN DIE!

The only difference between the two is that the DMR's ammo lasts longer and it doesn't shoot in 3 round bursts.

Maybe in Halo 4, they can add both the DMR and the BR? Or make it so you can set the BR to burst or semi automatic (single shot).

Hey everyone,

I'm not really sure how Call of Duty's games work (since I'm not a fan of the series), so please don't condemn me with this post because of any similarities you see with that game or the series.

I saw in another thread how someone was upset with the idea of making weapons be customizable because it would relate too much to CoD4 or something. Well, how about this idea?:

Just like how in Halo: Reach, players can customize the look of their armor, but when you're in-game, those changes don't effect the actual game. You're all basically just generic Spartans with the same hit points (as in locations, not health) that anyone next to you has, except that appearance-wise, you're more shiny.

So in Halo 4, why not give players the options to add upgrades to their DMRs, for example? The upgrades would be just like the armor - they wouldn't effect the actual gameplay, but players could have more stuff on their guns to match their interests (such as snipers being able to have, say, red sniper view screens instead of green, or DMR users having a laser sight).

Really I don't know how these would all work out and it would probably take some tweaking, but I know the community probably doesn't like the idea of having weapon customizations that can change the game's outcome. Again, I'm not sure what the community thinks since I don't play Call of Duty, but I'm pretty sure some people might like to have some 'weapon upgrades' that are just personal and don't effect the game itself.

Thoughts?

I'm not sure. it seems like it would give the player an advantage in accuracy.

I'm not sure. it seems like it would give the player an advantage in accuracy.

No it wouldn't.

The laser sight doesn't need to have a light appear on a person's head, nor does it need to reach so far that you can see anyone within the laser's reach limit.

Instead, the laser could be like a cone shape (in terms of 3D modeling) so that the light only goes to a certain point in front of your gun, but fades out as it gets further from the gun. So even if you have a laser sight, it's just for show but doesn't increase your accuracy.

Like I said: "Weapon Customizations WITHOUT in-game effects".

By the way... I'm not saying these ideas are final. That's how an idea thread starts - you provide examples and people say what's good and what's not while providing their own ideas.