Halo: ONI

Archon

Prologue: No bodies, no tags

Sigma-7

0800 Hours, Morning, Summer on Earth, 2553

Lieutenant Riley was sifting through the ruins of what used to be a small UNSC outpost, it was a bright day for a planet that had been partially glassed. It was early morning and he was alone with only another man behind him, his platoon sergeant, whom he only ever addressed as Connor. He was a good man, but had seen too much of war, and too much of death. His face was sullen and he never smiled, and never had a reason to smile. Riley couldn’t really say anything, because just on his last deployment he’d lost two entire squads and was left with half of his platoon, they were replaced faster than the FTL drive could even begin to say ‘hi’. Though it wasn’t done without ‘condolences’ from his SO. (Senior Officer)

That bit on FTL Drives made no sense at all, but I could honestly care less

Riley, Lieutenant Riley of the 431st Rifles Battalion, 1st Rifle Company, 3rd Platoon heaved a massive piece of concrete debris off of what looked like a cupboard and he grunted with surprise, the surprise was not how amazing the dresser was, or how rare that wood was, but it was more so to find a dresser almost completely intact in a rubble composed almost entirely of burned and charred black concrete, it was –half-covered by another piece of debris and the dresser was virtually undamaged by the one that landed on top of it… but not right on top because it was supported by the debris piece that currently lay on the dresser. He wondered how it even still existed, and wasn’t just a useless pile of scrap-wood for a blunderbuss, if they had to resort to that technology that was, though the dresser itself was built out of a durable material, military grade and standard-issue. This place was a Marine Outpost and Lieutenant Riley was an Officer, almost green but more like a yellowing sort of green. Like he was dying slowly or something, oh, he was, he was.

My job is to find any evidence of what happened to this outpost as valuable information may have been captured by the Covenant or insurgents… not dawdle and think about how important or tough this dresser is.

And now you’re scolding yourself? Don’t you feel intellectual

Riley jammed his fingers in between second and the final piece of concrete and dresser before he managed to get a good grip upon it, he was just about to pull upwards on the and heave-ho with effort, but was stopped by a quick-pat on his shoulder, just like how they’d signal when ready to breach and clear. “Relax lieutenant, I’ll help you out. It’s my job.” The Platoon Sergeant stated and got into position, Connor was right, it was his job to help the Lieutenant and even ‘take over’ for him in a dire circumstance, in which he died, also ‘trained’ yes ‘trained’ to take a bullet for the Lieutenant, Connor stood right beside Riley and his hands gripped the Concrete as though it were almost the same as a grunt’s neck. Connor never took things lightly, not even if his wife was giving him a harmless kiss on the cheek or lips, he’d mostly likely ask why and who she was cheating on him with. It was normal for him… well, for a soldier anyways, coming back from the field and seeing every situation as a threat could be rather hard on a man.

“One, two… Three” They both said in unison and put strain on the word as they lifted on three, the debris groaned and scrated at the surface of the dresser and against another fallen piece of concrete. Riley pushed as hard as he could then and then they both ‘threw’ the piece of debris out of the way, coming upon an opened and beaten up dresser with two drawers missing. No, they weren’t missing, they were just smashed in and at the bottom. He opened one of them that hadn’t been smashed by the explosion or the falling debris and then pulled a small leather-covered book. From the dresser with a cracked frame. He had no idea why that was the first thing he had pulled from what seemed like hell, compared to all the other ‘normal’ stuff, but maybe he was just expecting to find a watch, dog-tags or something less filled with memory or meaning to himself… as selfish as that was, he instead took the book… of all things the book that would change how he thought and commanded for the rest of his career.

Its title was rather catchy, and it had a small piece of writing on it. “If you read this, then I’m probably dead.” Was all the note had said, and Riley immediately flipped open the front page and was drawn by its story as though it were a death trap and intentional placed specifically for him. It would be… highly coincidental and scary if it had been.

The tragic story of Lance Corporal C. Free

If you are reading this, than I am honest to god hoping that you don’t mind terrible writing abilities, but I will be writing how my deployment goes, from beginning to end, Alpha to Omega. My Omega anyways.

Though, I can’t say I hope you stick with it… because in the end, the main character always dies or has something bad happen to him in these stories… but unfortunately in this circumstance, I’m not a character and this isn’t fiction, it’s non-fiction. Which isn’t too fun… oh and if you get the urge to burn this, please don’t. As it might contain vital information in some respects… read through the entire story to understand.

The story… the story begins with Boot camp, where I am contacted and told to keep my mouth shut for the rest of my career when spoken to, seeing as how I did and didn’t tell anyone aside from you ‘great reader’ about this I didn’t break an order, and I still didn’t, because I’m dead and was sent on another suicide run. Whatever, just read the story man.

It was bright, approximately 0800 hours and the year was 2549…P

Impressive, but there are some missing words at certain points (like "the")

As long as you can understand it... Even Karen Traviss makes mistakes sometimes.

Though in the future, I will spend more than fifteen minutes editing this I suppose.

As for writing this Prologue. -it was done in a single hour-